Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you need to get a trim every couple of months?
04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Do you need to get a trim every couple of months?
Hi guys,

I am currently growing my hair right now and my barber always told me to come back every couple of months for a trim and she didn't explain why. I searched this up on google if you should be getting a trim while you are growing your hair to keep it healthy. I posted on this forum and was told to not get my hair cut for about 10-12 months. After growing it for about 4-5 months now, I realized that my hair looks really rough and looks "split". I was told from my parents that this is just how my hair is naturally and my hair looks similar to my mothers. How do I know if this is just the way my hair is or if my hair has split ends? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 06:33 AM
RE: Do you need to get a trim every couple of months?
Getting your tips trimmed every couple of weeks is a myth. If you're not dyeing your hair or putting it thru harsh treatments like relaxers or flat irons then there's no need to trim your tips.

The whole thing of trimming tips comes from women who frequently iron their hair and dye their hair, and these two things damage the hair and specially so the tips. The hair becomes brittle and it can slice itself even tho a hair strand is minuscule in diameter length. So what these women would do is go to the hair salon and get their tips trimmed anyway because they were maintaining their length and not trying to grow out more hair. That plus frequently ironing their hair and dyeing it makes it reasonable to trim the ends every couple of weeks.

If you have healthy hair that you aren't mistreating then you're fine and you should not get your tips trimmed if you're trying to grow more length on your hair. By getting your tips trimmed you're petty much undoing your hair growing efforts. Hairdressers will easily trim one or two centimetres, about an inch, without even flicking an eye and that length they trim so easily is worth two months of your time.
  • Do you currently use a hair straightener aka flat iron?
  • Have you used a chemical product to keep your hair straightened or permanently curled?
  • Have you dyed your hair or are you planning on bleaching it?
If the answer is 'no' to those three questions then do not get your tips trimmed until you get to your desired hair length.
04-30-2015, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 02:57 PM by pt3407.)
Thanks for the reply, My hair seems a little bit messy, I've got straight asian hair that is very thick, I even put on an anti-frizz serum on my hair but it still looks messy. I'll post pictures here. Should I still keep growing it? I know you gave me an answer already but I'm going to post pictures just in case.

[Image: 62byGyr.jpg]

[Image: WDY32xt.jpg]

This is all my hair with only the serum put on but still is a bit messy. I would just like to make sure that there are no split ends or any damage to my hair. I never/rarely put on products on my hair such as hair gel.
05-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Can anyone help me please? Thanks.
05-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm not as knowledgable as some of the other members on here when it comes to hair, but your hair looks fine to me. It looks messy because it's straight, and generally the longer your hair is the more weight it will have so it will be more likely to lie down flat.

As to whether or not you should continue growing it, it depends on what hairstyle you want. Do you currently have a goal or are you just growing it out? Also I suggest posting some better pictures, the current pictures are tough to judge by. Hope this helped.
05-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Do not trim your hair if you're growing your mane long!
Trimming your hair will depend on what your current hairstyle goal is. Are you trying to grow your hair longer? Or are you happy with your current hair length?

If you're wanting to grow your hair longer, then do not get your hair trimmed. Trimming your hair when growing it longer is counterproductive and will only delay your hair growth goal. Growing hair longer isn't a very pretty journey as your hair starts acting up on its own the longer it gets. An important thing to do as your hair gets longer is to learn how to manage it and tame it. This comes with patience and practice.

I do recommend that you have a look at this long hair care guide so as to pick up some good hair care habits. Mostly, you want to be using a conditioner frequently and finding out your ideal shampooing frequency. There are some other interesting tidbits that you will pick up and that will allow you to customize your own long hair in the exact way that you want it to look.

If, on the other hand, you're happy with your current length, then you can trim your hair if you so wish to. However, I highly doubt that you have split ends since, contrary to the myth, getting split ends is extremely difficult if you're just doing regular stuff to your hair (e.g. styling it or combing it). The acts that lead to split ends are bleaching the hair, coloring it, straightening it or brushing it real hard (especially when using a hair dryer). Other than that, hair is extremely resilient when put under normal circumstances.

Looking at the 2 pictures that you've posted, you do not have split ends. If you had split ends, you would not even have any doubts as to whether you have them or not.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------