Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have confidence issues pulling of a new hairstyle?
06-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Do you have confidence issues pulling of a new hairstyle?
I do, I just go for normal short sides and trim and just normal length here, I'd like to experiment but I feel low confidence to even do it and not sure if I've pulled it off badly or not
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Do you have confidence issues pulling of a new hairstyle?
(06-21-2014 04:32 PM)herehair Wrote:  I do, I just go for normal short sides and trim and just normal length here, I'd like to experiment but I feel low confidence to even do it and not sure if I've pulled it off badly or not

I used to , I had a really bad medium length hairstyle (Unstyled) for ages and I got in a habbit of getting the same cut for ages and so even though I hated it , I still got the same cut for some reason , But after finding this forum I finally decided to change it but still didn't change it drastically at first , I went to short back and sides with long/medium on top first (Unstyled) and then went to shorter and started styling (Though I wish I still had short hair on the sides/back and medium/long length on top now so I can try out some hairstyles with longer hair.Only afterwords I realised that by not having the confidence to get a better haircut , I was stuck with a haircut I hated so If you want to change it , But don't have the confidence I would really recommend you don't just keep your hairstyle now if you want a new hairstyle just go and get it done , As long as you get some help from here to find out what will fit you , And what hairstyle you like , You should be able to find a cut that looks great without having to worry about confidence issues.If you cant get the confidence to drastically change your look straight away , Then do what I did and gradually change your hair to the haircut/hairstyle you want.
06-23-2014, 03:01 AM
Its always harrd to change it, you want play it safe. Because of this forum i started to actually do something.
06-27-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm with the op, never sure when it comes to a new hairstyle and not sure what I can pull of, it's one of the reasons I've had long hair for over 10 years lol, sometimes it's just easier to go with what we know to avoid the risk of feeling the new hair doesn't suit and makes us look odd.
07-04-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 07:09 AM by Stylish Brotha.)
I know exactly where you're coming from. I used to wear buzz cuts all my life because I was taught that was the acceptable way for a young black boy/man to wear their hair because our hair wasn't considered to be "good hair". As I grew and matured, I wanted to express myself and I wanted to try new hairstyles. But being a big guy, I was scared to because I didn't want to look bigger. So I started wearing short Afro hairstyles and tapers and at one point had a big afro and cornrows. Recently, I have a bald fade but I will be growing it out again.
07-05-2014, 04:28 AM
I had short hair through most of my childhood. But when I was about 15 or 16 years old, I decided to grow my hair out (like the guys in all my favorite bands lol). My hair was nearly shoulder-length and this lasted until I was about 20 years old. Towards the end of that phase, I wanted to cut it short, but for whatever reason I thought my face would be too ugly to do so. I don't know why I even thought so, perhaps I had just hidden behind the long hair for too long and gotten too used to it.

One day I was going in for my regular trim, and on the way there decided to just go for short hair. Came home with a 2 on the sides and about fingerlength on top. It took quite a bit of getting used to, but over time I stopped worrying that I looked bad. I still think I look funny sometimes, but not to the same degree as before.
08-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Oh massively! I think I am a self conscious guy even though I give off a positive and sometimes apparently arrogant attitude, I am extremely conscious about what people think of a new hairstyle. It's natural I think.
11-24-2014, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 02:36 PM by PhoKingTasty.)
(06-21-2014 07:46 PM)Jonny Wrote:  
(06-21-2014 04:32 PM)herehair Wrote:  I do, I just go for normal short sides and trim and just normal length here, I'd like to experiment but I feel low confidence to even do it and not sure if I've pulled it off badly or not

I used to , I had a really bad medium length hairstyle (Unstyled) for ages and I got in a habbit of getting the same cut for ages and so even though I hated it , I still got the same cut for some reason , But after finding this forum I finally decided to change it but still didn't change it drastically at first , I went to short back and sides with long/medium on top first (Unstyled) and then went to shorter and started styling (Though I wish I still had short hair on the sides/back and medium/long length on top now so I can try out some hairstyles with longer hair.Only afterwords I realised that by not having the confidence to get a better haircut , I was stuck with a haircut I hated so If you want to change it , But don't have the confidence I would really recommend you don't just keep your hairstyle now if you want a new hairstyle just go and get it done , As long as you get some help from here to find out what will fit you , And what hairstyle you like , You should be able to find a cut that looks great without having to worry about confidence issues.If you cant get the confidence to drastically change your look straight away , Then do what I did and gradually change your hair to the haircut/hairstyle you want.

I feel the same way. I have the typical spiky asian hair that stands up no matter what.I used to always get the same cut every time and the same length. I would even be nervous going to a different barber because I was afraid my hair would look too different. Everyone insists I use gel everyday to style my hair and make it look better, but I've always just been too lazy to do it.

Came across these forums and I hope everyone here can help me find a new hairstyle that looks nice!
12-16-2014, 07:09 AM
I changed my hairstyle a couple of times in the last 3 years, but changes were not so noticeable, only my best friends noticed, hehe, most people don't notice and by this I clarify that I work in an environment where most people are men (engineering company) and we rarely talk about our looks, but it is different with women, usually women have more to say about looks...
12-17-2014, 08:16 AM
I definitely sympathize with you. I've never really had good looking hair, or hair that I thought looks good at least. I was always worried about how it looked, and I felt that I could never style it just right. To me, my forehead seems a bit large, and the top of my head is not squared off like I'd like it to be. Thankfully I'm working for a community that doesn't really care what your hair looks like, (I could have it buzzed and no one would bat an eye). I even did a horse shoe flattop once and everyone poked fun about me being old school but no one was being serious. Still, I feel like I got shortchanged and wish to this day that I could have decent looking hair. (Mine is wavy but never looks the way I'd like it to).
01-14-2015, 10:38 PM
we all have to take some risks in our life =)
01-26-2015, 02:47 AM
I always get a little nervous before chopping off inches of hair because I know how long all those months growing the hair felt. 99% of the time I feel a lot better after I finish the cut, the one long time I felt worse was when I decided to pull off the Buddhist monk cut Sad.
12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Yea I believe really changing anything of your looks will take you out of your comfort zone.
03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
(12-31-2015 06:56 PM)LongHairForMen Wrote:  Yea I believe really changing anything of your looks will take you out of your comfort zone.

I would love to grow my hair out but it doesn't look "professional" enough...
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------