Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you apply wax/gel before going to barbershop/stylist to have haircut?
08-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Do you apply wax/gel before going to barbershop/stylist to have haircut?
*title*

should u go with hair product applied or not? so that the barber/stylist can know what changes to make to your current hairstyle?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
RE: Do you apply wax/gel before going to barbershop/stylist to have haircut?
Depends on whether you will have your hair shampooed before the haircut or not. If you're going to get your hair shampooed, then feel free to go in with the usual hairstyling product that you use (e.g. hair gel, pomade, wax etc) and with the usual hairstyle you wear so that the barber or hairdresser gets a good idea of what you usually like to wear.

If your hair won't be shampooed prior to the haircut, then either don't wear any product or wear the least amount. The barber or hairdresser will be spray wetting your hair before cutting it, and having too much hair product on your hair will cause the hair to lock up when wet, making the haircut more difficult. I recommend you to stay away from the strong hold products right before your haircut, these products being strong hold waxes, pomades (including oil pomades), hair gel or hair spray.

Your barber will also be using some hairstyling product after the haircut, so if you already have your hair coated in hairstyling product from before the haircut, then when he uses the hairstyling product, the final hairstyle will look off, causing you to not be happy with the final result of the haircut, even though it's just a temporary "off" look from your hair being saturated with hair product and water.

So either don't wear any hair product before the haircut, or use the least amount of product and stick to light hold hair gel, a little water-based pomade or some hair mousse.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I suggest you follow what Themenshairforum posted above as it is true that the hair product will reactivate when you get your hair wet by your hairdresser. Makes for some sloppy hair cutting.
09-03-2014, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 01:35 PM by asianboy.)
I have never applied any products in my hair before I go to my hairstylist. Despite my hair being horribly uncontrollable, I still go after I have washed my hair (no shampoo since I don't want it to go limp). Also, I wouldn't want the person cutting my hair to run his/her fingers through hair that has product in it, makes it sticky.

As TheMensHairForum said, the final product may be off. What I would recommend is to get an idea what your hair will look like before you apply the styling products. Or better still, get a picture of your desired hairstyle along with you and show it to your barber/hairstylist.
09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
thanks for replies, pls close this topic.

i guess not applying anything before having haircut is good thing.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,451 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus
  Haircut for wavy, medium hair (man) Je2848132 0 749 01-21-2016 03:23 PM
Last Post: Je2848132
  Cameron Dallas haircut? Jdub16 2 860 01-17-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: yavuzc78
  What is the hairstyle name of this businessmen haircut? Pablo1914 1 1,366 09-26-2015 10:45 AM
Last Post: Mike Lowe