Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair?
06-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair?
How do you know which one you have? You always read to avoid certain products/styles if you have thin hair or thick hair, but how exactly do you tell which one you have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2014, 06:32 AM
RE: Differences Between Thick and Thin Hair?
Mate you can usually you tell if you have thick hair or thin hair by how the hair stands up in the first 5 centimetres if you have straight hair or wavy hair. Five centimetres is 2 inches by the way.

If your hair stands up and strong, sorta like a brush, then you probably have thick hair but if the hair bends down, you hair will be thinner. It is impossible for any average joe to measure his hair strand thickness unless he is willing to measure his hair under the microscope. But you can use the test I have mentioned that will do.

If you have thick hair, then you can throw at it anything you want but it has to be strong enough to shape the hair. Avoid light hold products or products that don't have enough holding ability or can give a thicker appearance.
For hair products for thick hair, get this hair wax, this pomade, this styling cream and this hair gel.

If your hair bends down in those two inches then you are better off using products that have a strong hold if you want to shape but which are lighter too. So avoid heavy pomades and waxes, only get the newer ones. use hair clay and styling rubber Also use hair mousse with a hair dryer which is perfect to thicken thin hair in the hairstyle.
For hair products for thin hair, get this hair fibre, this hair clay, this moving rubber, this hair mousse, this pomade, this styling cream, this hair spray and this hair dryer. You should also be using a leave in conditioner and conditioner, the good thing with the leave-in conditioner is that you can use it to style your hair too if you have thin hair. For my money... go with this leave-in conditioner for sure.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm guessing I have thick hair then. My hair is about 4 or 5 inches now so I can't use that test. But when I get a short haircut I usually can't side part my hair well because it doesn't want to move, it just sticks up straight. If I get a really short haircut it almost feels prickly.

I've also noticed a lot of products (Hanz De Fuko Sponge Wax, American Crew Fiber, and American Crew Pomade) are advertised as medium/high hold but they never hold my hair for more than 2 or 3 hours. The only product that has worked so far is TIGI Men's Bed Head Wax. I never knew why, but I guess it could be because my hair thickness? Thanks again
06-25-2014, 12:56 PM
(06-23-2014 04:04 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm guessing I have thick hair then. My hair is about 4 or 5 inches now so I can't use that test. But when I get a short haircut I usually can't side part my hair well because it doesn't want to move, it just sticks up straight. If I get a really short haircut it almost feels prickly.

I've also noticed a lot of products (Hanz De Fuko Sponge Wax, American Crew Fiber, and American Crew Pomade) are advertised as medium/high hold but they never hold my hair for more than 2 or 3 hours. The only product that has worked so far is TIGI Men's Bed Head Wax. I never knew why, but I guess it could be because my hair thickness? Thanks again

Then, yes, as Barber pointed out, you have thick hair, not straight hair. Thus, you will need strong-hold products to style and shape your hair, don't get medium-hold hairstyling products unless you simply want a casual hairstyle like a messy hairstyle. Any of the linked products for thick hair that Barber mentioned above will work really well for your case.

Edit: hadn't seen Barber posting for a while! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-25-2014, 10:59 AM
(06-23-2014 06:32 AM)Barber Wrote:  If your hair stands up and strong, sorta like a brush, then you probably have thick hair but if the hair bends down, you hair will be thinner. It is impossible for any average joe to measure his hair strand thickness unless he is willing to measure his hair under the microscope. But you can use the test I have mentioned that will do.

If you have thick hair, then you can throw at it anything you want but it has to be strong enough to shape the hair. Avoid light hold products or products that don't have enough holding ability or can give a thicker appearance.

If your hair bends down in those two inches then you are better off using products that have a strong hold if you want to shape but which are lighter too. So avoid heavy pomades and waxes, only get the newer ones. use hair clay and styling rubber Also use hair mousse with a hair dryer which is perfect to thicken thin hair in the hairstyle.

You should also be using a leave in conditioner and a conditioner, the good thing with the leave-in conditioner is that you can use it to style your hair too if you have thin hair. For my money... go with this leave-in conditioner for sure.

Can I use leave-in conditioner and then use wax to style my hair? or just leave-in conditioner would be fine? Smile
08-09-2014, 02:43 PM
My hair seems thicker at the back than anywhere else.

It's always much harder to wash than the front and sides.
07-08-2015, 09:29 AM
RE: Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair?
One thing that I waned to add was that many guys confuse thick hair with dense hair. So with hair you how thick it is as a hair strand, which is what the 'thin' or 'thick' words really refer to.

Hair density is how many hair strands growing from their follicles you have per square centimetre or square inch. This varies hugely between men and men with a high hair density will look like they have a lot of hair and it will make the hair look thick. Somehow the words have got confused over the years by hairdressers telling their clients that their hair is thick when in reality what the client has is a high hair density.

You can easily have thin hair and still have a high density. This may sound like a paradox but when someone tells you that you have 'thick hair', do not get too excited by the compliment as you could have thin hair and not thick hair. What you could have is a lot of thin hair per square centimetre which gives the bushy, super mane and thick hair effect that mane guys would like to have.

I've seen countless of hairdressers confuse the terms and just about all websites giving advice on men's hair get this wrong. It's kind of like what we have with the undercut, almost every single men's hair website that I've seen will use the 'undercut' word to label any tapered haircut, when the undercut is not a tapered haircut!

The only way to really know if you have thick hair is to put your hair under a microscope and measure it. For a better measurement you would have to slice a hair strand and then measure the diameter of the hair strand which is easier said than done. Hair density is easier to spot especially if you have a trained eye like mane of us barbers have. Heck I can even tell if a barbershop customer has thick hair by looking at a couple of hair strands with my eyes only and feeling the texture.

You would be surprised to know what truly thick hair is. I would even go as far as to say that 99% of guys saying they have thick hair do instead have hair with an average thickness but a high hair density. Thick hair strands are almost as thick as broom bristles, no joking! Thick hair also tends to be more of a disadvantage than an advantage for men. The ideal scenario is having average hair thickness but with a high hair density.

(07-25-2014 10:59 AM)Crumbling Wrote:  Can I use leave-in conditioner and then use wax to style my hair? or just leave-in conditioner would be fine? Smile

Yes you can use a leave-in conditioner as your first hairstyling product and then right after applying the leave in conditioner you can then use another hairstyling product like a hair wax. The good thing about leave in conditioners is that they can be used alone to style your hair loosely or they can be used together with another hairstyling product of your choice for better hair conditioning and gloss.

If you are interested in getting a good leave in conditioner then see this list of recommended leave in conditioners for men as you will find great leave in conditioners that work really well on men's hair and that range from cheap to not so cheap.

Cheers!
08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
If your hair is coarse and has a lot of volume, you have thick hair. If your hair is rather thin and takes the shape of your head too easily, you have thin hair.
11-09-2015, 04:20 AM
May b thin hair. Because sometimes in wet hair I found my scalp visible badly.
11-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I like having thick hair but I have to use men's hair products with a strong hold and texture.
12-18-2015, 08:30 AM
My hair is my disease Sad Don't know hoe to explain how I figured this out, but I have thin and oily hair type. Taking into consideration I am getting bald - this is the end! Just trying to get ready for my head's shaving )
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,451 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,242 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,227 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Hair Length and Strand Thickness Issue as Hair Grows Long? GoodHair 2 1,436 05-20-2015 11:23 PM
Last Post: chrise