Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Difference between a conditioner and leave in conditioner for men
04-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Difference between a conditioner and leave in conditioner for men
I wanted to open this thread to explain the difference between a conditioner and a leave in conditioner for men. It seems like there is some confusion and not just online and we get many of our barbershop clients asking what each of these products are and the benefits of a conditioner vs a leave in conditioner.

Conditioner:

The name conditioner refers to the usual type of conditioner around and which is left on the product for two minutes in the shower and then rinsed out. A conditioner can also be called a regular conditioner, normal conditioner or rinse out conditioner.

A conditioner is used for making you hair look better and with more gloss. It's a tremendous hair product for men, and not many guys are aware of its benefits. Basically any hairstyle that you get will become better looking and better shaped by using a conditioner regularly.

To use a conditioner, just get your hair coated with the conditioner lightly. Leave the conditioner on your hair for two minutes while in the shower and as you keep showering. After two minutes you then use the shower water to remove the conditioner. Usually - but not always - you will use a conditioner right after using your shampoo. Read this shampoo and conditioner thread for all about using shampoo with a conditioner and how you should follow each product with the other. Just rinse out the shampoo, apply the conditioner, then rinse out the conditioner. You're done.

If you want to know about some of the recommended conditioners and leave in conditioners then read this thread. Go down to the conditioners section and leave-in conditioners section.

Leave in conditioner:

A leave in conditioner is meant to add extra gloss to your hair if the regular conditioner wasn't enough. A leave in conditioner is applied to your hair when you're ready to style it and you do not rinse out the leave in conditioner. You just leave it on your hair.

Leave in conditioners can also be used as hair styling products. This is very useful for men with curly hair. Just remember that leave in conditioners don't have much hold so they're only good for casual mens hairstyles with low volume. They're also really useful for curly hairstyles where you just want your curls to bounce around.

Read this list of recommended leave in conditioners as you will find one that suits your hairstyle goals and wallet. If you have wavy hair or any type of curly hair then I highly recommend that you get a leave in conditioner. I have seen miracles on many of our curly barbershop clients who learned how to use a conditioner and a leave in conditioner.

If your hair is any longer than two inches or give centimetres then you must use a conditioner. In this forum the advice is to start using a conditioner once a week once your hair is of a medium length. You can read the hair length guide of the forum to know more about hair lengths but two inches is right where a medium length starts. From my experience this advice is spot on and very helpful is you want your hair to look better.

I can help with any questions you may have about these two types of conditioners for men. Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 08:33 AM by Bradley.)
RE: Difference between a conditioner and leave in conditioner for men
Can I use a leave-in conditioner with hair gel, pomade or other styling products?

You can use your leave in conditioner with any other hairstyling product like hair gels, pomades or styling creams. What you should do is first apply the leave in conditioner to your hair while it's damp. The you use your other styling product like a gel or pomade to style your hair. You're basically coating your hair first with the leave in conditioner and then with the styling product.

If you want to blow dry your hair or you prefer to style your hair dry - read this thread for why dry styling isn't good - then apply the leave in conditioner on damp hair and then dry your hair to get the styling product in your hair. The leave in conditioner needs the hair to be damp to work as best as possible and give you more pronounced benefits.

Can I use a conditioner and a leave in conditioner on the same day?

Yes you can use both types of conditioners on the same day. This is a great solution for curly hair men. Guys with straight hair or not very curly hair will also benefit a lot from using this combination.

So first you use the regular conditioner on your hair for two minutes while in the shower, you get out of the shower and dry your hair a tad, leaving it damp. Then you apply the leave in conditioner, and either leave it like that for a casual hairstyle or loose curls or use another styling product on top of the leave in conditioner.

Please lads do not message me with conditioner questions. Just post the questions here and I will answer them so it helps everyone. Cheers! Smile
04-09-2015, 02:35 PM
RE: Difference between a conditioner and leave in conditioner for men
Hey Bradley I was mind blown in another thread with your explanation on the difference between hair wax and hair gel. This post is just as good too! I didn't see that you were a professional barber when I first read your reply in the other thread but I just noticed your forum badge. Now your posts make sense since I would think a professional barber would be the best dude to know about gels, waxes and conditioners for men.

It's a shame that my 68 years old barber lacks all this hair product knowledge but he does give some great taper haircuts to make up for his lack of new age knowledge. When I ask him what hair product for men he recommends for a given hairstyle, he always says hair tonic... lol

Now to my question, I have straight hair with a medium length. I'm reading the book titled The Men's Hair book which you're probably acquainted with since you're a barber. I've use the book's hair measuring method and my hair is three inches long which isn't a whole lot of length yet for styling my hair back, so right now I'm looking at what you guys call the vertical hairstyles.

Do you think that with my type of hair and hair length it would be worth using a conditioner for men? I haven't finished reading the book, in fact I have started it so I'm looking forward to the chapter about conditioners and shampoo. But so far would you or anyone else be able to comment on using a hair conditioner for straight hair with a medium length? I'm talking of the rinse out conditioners, not the leave in conditioners.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
04-12-2015, 10:04 AM
An excellent hair conditioners guide for dudes.
Bradley, thanks for posting this great men's conditioners guide!

It is true that differentiating a regular conditioner from a leave-in conditioner can be a bit difficult in the beginning, and I think that the way you've posted the differences between both types of conditioners is very helpful.

I would simply add the following 2 rules of thumb:
  • A regular conditioner is always to be rinsed out after 2 minutes.
  • A leave-in conditioner is always to be left on the hair and not to be rinsed out.
If you simply bear in mind the above 2 rules of thumb, it will become very intuitive the use of either of those 2 types of conditioners for men.

Since a leave-in conditioner is left on the hair and not rinsed out, it is thus a product (leave-in conditioner) that can be used to style your hair. However, since leave-in conditioners are simply conditioning products, their hold is negligible and thus should be used (if used alone to style the hair) for casual hairstyles that lie low as well as for curly hair. If using another type of hairstyling product with the leave-in like a hair gel or pomade, then simply remember that the hairstyling product that you use will work as per its usual, and the leave-in conditioner will simply enhance the look and fullness that the hairstyling product yields as well as of your chosen hairstyle.

On the other hand, regular conditioners simply seal in the moisture and gloss of your hair and are used when showering. This alone should tell you that regular conditioners aren't hairstyling products but, rather, hair care products. You coat your wet hair with the regular conditioner, leave it on for 2 minutes on your hair and then rinse it out. You leave the shower and proceed to style your hair with a hairstyling product and, if you want, with a leave-in conditioner too.

(04-09-2015 02:35 PM)Mike Lowe Wrote:  Do you think that with my type of hair and hair length it would be worth using a conditioner for men? I haven't finished reading the book, in fact I have started it so I'm looking forward to the chapter about conditioners and shampoo. But so far would you or anyone else be able to comment on using a hair conditioner for straight hair with a medium length? I'm talking of the rinse out conditioners, not the leave in conditioners.

A regular conditioner will become a very useful hair care product for men as soon as the hair grows to a medium length. That means that as soon as your hair is at least 2 inches long, then the use of a regular conditioner will vastly enhance your hairstyles, hairstyling products used and the overall feel and body of your hair.

It is true that regular conditioners are specially useful to curly males. But this is simply because curly hair tends to be naturally frizzy as dry when compared to straight hair. However, straight hair can also become frizzy, dry and tangled just as (or even more than) curly hair. Men are particularly notorious for having bad hair care habits, which will make their hair look not so good and regardless of men's hair type. Hence the use of a regular hair conditioner is useful for every male! Smile

Lastly, while regular conditioners are very helpful for medium-length to long-length hair, you can also use a regular conditioner on men's hair that is shorter than 2 inches and still obtain benefits. Same goes for leave-in conditioners: they can be used at any length of hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A conditioner that really hydrates hair? boolmir 1 248 10-26-2016 02:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference? Refrusloi 2 140 10-19-2016 07:56 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 441 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8
  Difference between low shine pomade and matte finish clay pomade? Stan A 0 376 03-09-2016 08:54 PM
Last Post: Stan A