Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delayed or slow hair growth at top on kinky curly hair
06-30-2015, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2015 11:43 PM by Chukkmane.)
Delayed or slow hair growth at top on kinky curly hair
Hi I'm 19 years old turning 20 in about 6 months and I grew and Afro at about 17 years old, when I had my Afro it was a pretty decent height I used too sleep on my back and on a pillow, as my hair grew more and more I noticed that my hair suddenly stopped growing in a certain area, right in-between the back of my head and the top portion of my head, I cut my hair later on and began growing a high top fade a couple of months back(high top fade is basically a flat top without the top being flat), I rarely picked my hair out only before getting the sides/back tapered.

I wash it about 2-1 times a week, condition every other wash, I never used any strong chemicals besides lusters pink hair lotion and lusters s curl activator and a few more that I stopped using after growing my hair out. But now currently while I have my high top fade it seems like the same thing is happening again, my hair has stopped growing at the very back top part of my head.

I stopped sleeping on my back a long time ago because of this but it seems like that's not the problem, the hair on the very top of my head is growing well, but with this delayed growth in the back portion my hair isn't even, Does anyone what might be causing this and why it is happening, I will soon start over and even my hair out again by cutting the top to about the same length as the delayed area.

I want to dread the top of my high top fade but don't want to have uneven hair. If I could post picture or knew how to I would so people can see what in talking about
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Here are the reasons explaining your perceived slow hair growth for your kinky curls!
Well, there are two things going on here to explain why your hair seems to be growing slower. I've upgraded your account so that you can post a picture (use something like IMGur which is a free image hosting site and in 3 seconds you've uploaded your picture). It'd be better if we can get an idea of how your hair looks so as to be able to confirm anything of what I'm about to say.

For starters, your men's hair type is kinky curly which is also known as fro-textured hair and which some African American guys will just call black hair. Hair care for kinky hair is pretty much the same as for other hair types as far as the basics go, but you need to be aware of the following.

Kinky curly hair grows slower:

No, it doesn't! Kinky curly "looks like" it grows slower but it grows just as fast as any other hair type.The issue is that kinky curly hair is so coiled that it bends along the way as it grows out of the follicle. On the other hand, straight hair grows vertically without bending, hence straight hair looks like it grows the fastest out of all hair types.

If you were to pull your kinky curly hair softly, you'd find that it can be up twice as long as your hair is without pulling; that's how coiled your hair type is! This is a phenomenon explained in Rogelio Samson's The Curly Hair Book and The Men's Hair Book and which he calls "visible length" versus "extended length".

This same reason is why you will hear many black ladies complain about not gaining enough hair length, but the reality is that their hair is growing healthy and just fine, but their hair is taking the longer route, so to speak, to grow from the follicle as it bends and curves.

When you use texturizing products like those that you've used, your coils loosen up, making your hair look longer visually, even though you all you've done is apply a texturizer on your hair for 15 minutes. So, right now, you may think that your hair grows slower than before since you used to have texturized hair, but the reality is that your hair is growing at the same speed as it used to.

As a young male, right now your hair is growing at the fastest speed that it will ever grow. Unless you're severely malnourished, you should not have to worry about hair growth. However, using certain hair nutrients and minerals for male hair can help you to maximize your hair growth rate as explained in the linked discussion. Zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids (from fish oil and cod liver oil) play a paramount role on the growth of hair in men.

You're squashing your hair on the back:

When you sleep, you're creating friction between the pillow and your head (and thus your hair). For men with curly hair, this means that they're squashing their curls and flattening them during their sleep. This makes the hair look shorter as you're pretty much squashing your coils to your scalp, which flattens them and disables them from standing up.

Two tips that I can give you is to first buy a silk cover for your pillow. A silk pillow case will minimize the friction of your head against the pillow. Then, buy yourself a sleeping cap or even use a dorag to sleep on. This creates a barrier between your hair and the friction against the pillow, which also minimizes any damage to the hair strands. If you'd like to buy a good dorag, see our men's hair accessories discussion and browse down a little to see our recommended dorag suppliers (among lots of other recommended suppliers of other men's hair accessories).

Without seeing your pictures, I'd bet that the above two is what you're experiencing as I've seen it before so many times. Still, post a picture of your hair to see if there's anything else that could be occurring like any scarring, ingrown hairs, folliculitis or dermatitis (which can lead to hair loss and delayed hair growth).

Lastly and as a suggestion, it'd be a good idea to get either The Curly Hair Book or The Men's Hair Book (see these links for forum feedback on them) as what I've explained above is explained in detail and there's a lot more on hair care and daily grooming. hose two are by far the best books ever published on men's hair and have great feedback from lots of people including forum members and our own forum staff. The author also has very curly hair so he gives out a lot of advice on curly hair that will be directly applicable to your case.

P.S. I slightly edited your post so that it was easier to read! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 333 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 296 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,211 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 277 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203