Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dandruff vs dry scalp difference?
12-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Dandruff vs dry scalp difference?
How could one tell the difference between dandruff vs dry scalp? are either of the two related or are they different scalp conditions?
Cause is flakiness with a dry scalp but also with dandruff so where is the difference in the flaking or flakes. Same or unrelated? Huh cheers lads
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
RE: Dandruff vs dry scalp difference?
To really understand the difference you will need to understand what each one is about. The type of shedding from dry scalp is different to the shedding from dandruff.

Seborrheic dermatitis, otherwise known as dandruff, is a chronic inflammatory skin condition affecting the scalp. Symptoms of dandruff are itching and flaking, skin lesions, plaques over larger areas, greasy or oily areas of the skin, mild redness, and in some cases reversible hair loss.

Seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be due to a combination of an over production of skin oil and irritation from a yeast called malessizia. Seborrheic dermatitis appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (such as acne), or obesity may increase the risk. Neurologic conditions, including Parkinson's disease, head injury, and stroke may be associated with seborrheic dermatitis. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) has also been linked to increased cases of seborrheic dermatitis.

Dandruff actually arises from excess oil on the scalp, not dryness. Likewise, flakiness does not necessarily mean dandruff. Flakes can also come from overusing conditioner on the scalp, styling product build-up, not shampooing enough or not rinsing shampoo thoroughly.

A dry scalp can be a consequence of overusing a shampoo such as using it daily which then dries the skin and the natural barrier of the scalp and hair known as sebum. This leads to skin cells shedding but the shedding from a dry scalp is minute and hardly visible if at all. On the other hand the shedding from dandruff is quite visible.
12-02-2014, 03:26 PM
RE: Dandruff vs dry scalp difference?
Actually that makes sense as I also have thought about this with the dry scalp and if it resembled anything like dandruff.

Any good anti dandruff shampoo fixes the dandruff problem but i have also found out that it left my hair too clean as in squeaky clean. I always need to use a conditioner after an anti dandruff shampoo although I should technically be using a conditioner after any type of shampoo. But talk about waking up late to go to work.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,750 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 2,850 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 638 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  Recommend dry scalp home remedies? Alex 4 1,724 01-30-2015 02:17 PM
Last Post: 3rdto1st