Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dandruff treatment and dandruff causes and symptoms - Advice
09-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Dandruff treatment and dandruff causes and symptoms - Advice
Dandruff is a common issue in men so I would like, in this post, to look into the causes of dandruff and the treatment of dandruff. There is also another thread in the forum on the treatment of dandruff with a long discussion with plenty of dandruff advice that is very useful, so make sure to read that thread too.

While a head capped by white hair can make a man look distinguished and even elegant, a shoulder covered with white dandruff flakes doesn't cause the same positive reaction (more like a horror reaction that dandruff causes!). The scourge of many men, dandruff not only clashes with dark-colored jackets, but may also result in an itchy and irritated scalp.

Although unsightly dandruff can be embarrassing, the shedding of dead skins cells from the scalp is a natural process. Dandruff occurs when the cells gets trapped on the scalp because of too much oil, causing the growth of larger, more visible flakes. According to the Mayo Clinic's Web site, having skin that is too dry or oily, not washing your hair enough, and certain skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, can all cause dandruff to form, as can a yeasty substance called malassezia, a fungus that thrives and multiplies if you suffer from too much stress or certain health conditions.

You rarely need a doctor to tell you that you have dandruff. Your eyes can usually spot the difference between normal shedding of tiny scalp cells and dandruff, the latter of which is typically larger, white- or yellow-colored, and often greasy, according to WebMD. Another clue you may have dandruff is that the skin on your scalp, around your hairline or near your nose and eyebrows may also be itchy, flaky or even red.

Treating dandruff can be as simple as washing your hair more often. "Shampooing is often the easiest and most effective way to prevent dandruff," says Dr. Marta Rendon, founder and medical director of the Dermatology & Aesthetic Center in Boca Raton, Fla. "It cleans hair, invigorates follicles and reduces excessive sebum buildup that can lead to dandruff flakes, and prevents excess cells from accumulating on the scalp."

Dr. Rendon also recommends the use of an anti-dandruff shampoo that contains zinc pyrithione (ZPT) and selenium sulfide, such as Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo. Some people with dandruff may need to consult with a dermatologist who can prescribe a shampoo that can treat more stubborn scalp problems, Dr. Rendon says. If you have thinning hair along with dandruff, a dermatologist can discover the cause of your hair loss and possibly provide treatment for that as well.

There could be a silver lining, however, to your dandruff problem if you follow Dr. Rendon's diet and lifestyle advice to rid yourself of those pesky flakes. As the Global Celebrity Dermatologist for Head & Shoulders, Dr. Rendon recommends regular exercise and a healthy, balanced diet that has plenty of B-vitamins, zinc and essential fatty acids to help treat dandruff, a suggestion that could also result in a trimmer body, brighter mood and longer, healthier life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: Dandruff treatment and dandruff causes and symptoms - Advice
Sunset I would like to add some further advice on dandruff. It is about shower water aggravating dandruff.

Dandruff is a very common problem. For many people, it often feels like a hopeless one. There are some people who try every dandruff shampoo on the market, as well as every home remedy, only to find that their dandruff does not seem to want to go away. Is it possible that your water is causing you to experience dandruff? Here is the reason why this may be happening, the signs and what you can do in this situation.

Why Can Your Water Cause Dandruff?

The main thing that you may be wondering is why water from your tap (or showerhead, that is) can be causing you to experience dandruff. Well, the reason may be levels of chlorine. Have you ever heard that chlorine can cause you to experience dry skin? If you have levels of chlorine in your water, this may be exactly what you are experiencing when you shower. The skin on your head may become dry and flake, ultimately causing you to experience dandruff.

What are Signs of Chlorine Causing Dandruff?

There are a number of different signs which may indicate that chlorine is causing you to experience dandruff. For starters, you may experience itching and flaking immediately after you have taken a shower. There is also a good chance that you hair may seem unmanageable. It will become dry, brittle and very hard to brush. Generally, when chlorine causes you to experience dandruff, you will experience a very itchy scalp. This is mainly due to the fact that the skin has become so dry. It may remind you of how your skin feels after you have gotten sunburned. Keep in mind that if your scalp is experiencing dryness caused by chlorine, other areas of your skin also may be dry.

What Can You Do if Your Water Causes Dandruff?

In order to prevent your hair from experiencing any further dandruff caused by your home water, it is a good idea to get a shower filter. This will help ensure that chlorine and various other chemicals do not cause any damage to your skin or hair. Once you have a water filter, you should begin using all of the anti-dandruff products that you have tried in the past. There is a good chance that they may work out now.

If your water tastes funny, then there is a good chance that there are levels of chlorine in it which may be causing you to experience dandruff, as well as other problems with dry skin. Although many people do not realize it, this may be the reason that all of the different dandruff products and home remedies out there are not working for them. Before you waste money on yet another anti-dandruff shampoo or bottle of vinegar, it is a good idea to consider a shower filter first. This may be the best, as well as the only, way to get rid of your own dandruff problem.
11-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I use to have a lot of trouble with dandruff. I washed my hair regularly and tried a few different dandruff shampoos. Still, I had dandruff and an itchy scalp. It was moving away from dandruff shampoos and daily shampooing that cleared it up. Now that I go approximately 1/6 on shampoo/sebum spreading days, I no longer have dandruff and rarely an itchy scalp.
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM
(11-18-2014 10:22 AM)Unshorn Wrote:  I use to have a lot of trouble with dandruff. I washed my hair regularly and tried a few different dandruff shampoos. Still, I had dandruff and an itchy scalp. It was moving away from dandruff shampoos and daily shampooing that cleared it up. Now that I go approximately 1/6 on shampoo/sebum spreading days, I no longer have dandruff and rarely an itchy scalp.

Yes I find this also the same Smile Less shampoo for me gives me less itching and no dandruff. But before when I was testing my frequency like in the book. My hair would be a bit itchy if I didn't shampoo for very long like two weeks which this is a sign my frequency is too long. SO I increase the frequency a little bit but still with many days with no shampoo. It is perfect for me with days with no shampoo!!

I convince some of my friends to try this no shampoo method in the book and they also get great results and also for dandruff. I speak with my girlfriend and she tells me she also doesn't shampoo every day. She really likes the book but she also tells me she had to shampoo with low frequency because her hair is very long and the time to shampoo with conditioner and then dry is too long. Some women don't even wet their hair because the hair is too long. For me I prefer to wet my hair if I don't shampoo like in the instructions of the book. For me it is the no shampoo method and the sebum that is perfect to fight dandruff.

It is like perfect equilibrium. For the natural oil of the scalp and for the excess hair products to remove with shampoo.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,760 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Advice for cut and styling my annoying hair?! CapriSun 0 362 06-01-2016 09:36 AM
Last Post: CapriSun
  Advice please: How to style long hair like this (with reference photo) stbay1217 2 1,160 12-10-2015 05:56 AM
Last Post: tonymacroni
  Advice Please! ApurvMarathe 0 406 11-19-2015 11:01 PM
Last Post: ApurvMarathe