Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis
07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis
Hey everyone! This is my first thread here and I'm very new to the world of proper hair care. I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but I have an irritating case of dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis which limits me to certain shampoos and products. I am just now realizing us guys don't have to wash our hair everyday and my first question is has anyone with dandruff have success with this? Or does it just make the problem worse. Second, are there any tips or tricks with this condition? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
RE: Dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis
Careful, dandruff is one thing and seborrhoeic dermatitis is another thing.

Dandruff is a benign condition where your skin cells are reproducing and dying too fast, so they shed and hence the dandruff flakes. There is also a fungus that inhabits the scalp and which is supposed to contribute to dandruff.

This is dandruff:

[Image: 640px-Excessive_dandruff.jpg]

On the other hand, seborrhoeic dermatitis is a "serious" condition where there is a visible irritation of the scalp and surrounding areas of the head.

This is seborrhoeic dermatitis:

[Image: Seborrhoeic_dermatitis_head.jpg]

Can you see the massive difference between dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis?

Here in the forum always recommend everyone to see a doctor and, even, better a dermatologist (a doctor of the skin). Dandruff is benign and it is absolutely common, so don't worry about it.

About 50% of men have dandruff, it is pretty common and easy to fix. However, and please remember this, there is NO cure for dandruff. Do not believe anyone selling you snake oil to cure your dandruff.

There are plenty of specialized shampoos for dandruff, and they will fix your dandruff. However, sometimes your dandruff will get a bit heavy, so you need to use an even stronger shampoo. Don't worry, these shampoos are fine Smile

For regular dandruff, I highly recommend without a doubt, THIS shampoo (in the link). Use it daily or using the No Shampoo method from Rogelio Samson in his book The Men's Hair Book. He also recommends seeing a doctor even for dandruff. So go with that shampoo as your "regular" shampoo.

Dandruff can worsen depending on the situation (e.g. a lot of heat), so if you see that your dandruff is getting too worse and the regular shampoo doesn't fix it, then use THIS other shampoo. Use it as per the instructions (usually 2 or 3 times per week).

About seborrhoeic dermatitis, the first thing you should be doing is going to the doctor. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a serious condition that can have visible effects on your scalp and face (it turns red).

You very likely have dandruff only, since if you had seborrhoeic dermatitis you would have run already to the doctor. However you should always consult a doctor if you suspect seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Feel free to post pictures of your scalp and we can have a look.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-22-2014, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 10:38 AM by udm1192.)
Thank you so much for the reply! However, the only reason I mentioned both is because it seems like I have both...I've had dandruff for half my life, but a few months ago I tried the generic Paul Mitchell from Sally's and broke out in that same seborrheic rash you posted. I may have confused it with irritation. That I'm not certain, but it ended up being severe. However, I never had a need for a dermatologist because over the counter shampoos have always worked. I really need to get my hands on that hair book everyone is talking about though! Does it go into detail with this condition?
07-22-2014, 11:47 AM
(07-22-2014 10:35 AM)udm1192 Wrote:  Thank you so much for the reply! However, the only reason I mentioned both is because it seems like I have both...I've had dandruff for half my life, but a few months ago I tried the generic Paul Mitchell from Sally's and broke out in that same seborrheic rash you posted. I may have confused it with irritation. That I'm not certain, but it ended up being severe. However, I never had a need for a dermatologist because over the counter shampoos have always worked. I really need to get my hands on that hair book everyone is talking about though! Does it go into detail with this condition?

Buddy, I highly suggest that you go to the doctor. Seborrhoeic dermatitis can be mistaken for dandruff too as it also sheds skin cells. However, any rash or extreme irritation (which is typical of seborrhoeic dermatitis) that is accompanied by what looks like dandruff is something that should be dealt by a medical professional. In your case, usually the doctor will be able to oversee any treatment and not send you to a dermatologist. However, the real experts in scalp health are dermatologist.

See a doctor! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,687 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 2,825 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 629 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  Dandruff Treatment with Natural Products including Vinegar Sunset 0 781 12-05-2014 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sunset