Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly hairstyle tips for men?
11-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Curly hairstyle tips for men?
Hello can you help me with some curly hairstyle tips for men? I read the book about curly hair and my hair type is coiled so I also ask the barbers here for tips because my hairdresser here in Spain is not very good with curly haircuts. He says the best curly haircut is a short hair cut? Huh I say that he is wrong but he cuts my hair short xD

When I ask about hairstyle tips for curly hair he will say to use fingers to style to the side. I think this is a good hairstyle but boring. I am growing my curls after reading the book but all the time when I visit the hair salon he cuts my hair shorter! maybe I will change my hairdresser. Is it the best possibility?

Greetings from Spain Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Curly hairstyle tips for men?
Contrary to popular belief, curly hair can be healthy, versatile, and easy to manage. With the right hair cut and proper hair care regimen, those with curls can easily style their hair without frizz, dryness, or other common curly hair burdens. The structure, thickness, and curvature of curly hair are much different than that of straight hair, resulting in a different required styling method. Use these hair tips to find success with styling your curly hair.

Prevent Frizz:

Frizz is a major problem for many with naturally curly hair. To help control frizz, apply a deep conditioner to your hair at least once per month. Leave the conditioner on for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Sit under a hair dryer if possible, as heat helps in combination with the moisturizing features of the deep conditioner. If you don't have a deep conditioner and can't buy one, use your daily conditioner as a mild substitute.

Correct Use of a Blow Dryer:

Yes, there is a proper way to use a blow dryer. Those with curly hair can end up with a terrifying blow-out if they fail to use their blow dryer correctly. Always use a diffuser when styling curly hair. If you don't have a diffuser for your blow dryer, aim the blow dryer nozzle downward. Be sure to always aim the blow dryer in the direction of hair growth.

Use a Comb:

Brushes and curly hair do not generally mix. Those with curly hair should use a wide tooth comb instead. By combing your hair, rather than brushing, it will leave you with clean looking curls and will enhance their beauty.

Headbands:

Those with curly hair do exceptionally well with the use of headbands and alice bands. Headbands can look good in a variety of styles, such as hair pulled back in a headband. Man bun hairstyles and loose ponytails can also be an easy styling choice for those with curly hair.

Enzyme-Rich Sprays:

Curly hair can become dreary by the end of a long day. To make your curls bounce back, spritz some enzyme-rich spray. Another option is to use a beachy wave mousse to give your hair that refreshing look that you desire.

Leave-In Conditioner:

Make use of a leave-in conditioner or a strong holding-gel for a great conditioner and control method. Combine the two products to create a cocktail that can be scrunched or combed through the hair using a wide tooth comb. Once the hair has completely dried, touch up any frizz or flyaways with a serum.
11-12-2014, 08:46 AM
For me it is less shampoo Big Grin that worked so great on my hair. I was like wtf less shampoo? but it worked the trick. You have to find the right use and frequency tho.

As the 2nd tips i would also say using a conditioner. Your conditioner after the shampoo but you can use it on your shampoo free days too. Using a conditioner is not the mess that most guys think it is. I used to think it was so but then it all clicked and made sense after reading about how to use a conditioner in the curly hair book. There is a huge section on conditioners in the book so you learn all you need about them.
There are also a lot of thread in this forum around. Too much info to not be using a conditioner for curly hair.
11-16-2014, 10:23 PM
My hair is more wavy than curly, except for in the back where I get coils. First I would say to quit going to the barber until your hair reaches the length you desire. Depending on how well you maintain your hair, you may need to search and destroy split ends on your own in the mirror some months down the road, but a full haircut is contradictory to growing it out.

With my wavy hair I find that a conditioner used in the shower most days, and a leave in daily really helps to accent the waves and gives a side parted style that I like. I've recently quit using a comb and only use my fingers to style. Since using the leave in conditioner, I've also backed off on using Groom & Clean for styling. The leave in conditioner helps me to not only keep my hair soft and tangle free, but allows for some shaping that I'm really digging. I just shake it out, apply the leave in, then shake again and style with fingers. I also follow a shampooing regimen of 1/6. The sebum coating method works wonders.
12-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Ok thank you my friends! Smile

Yes I also do the sebum coat method from the book. It makes a big change for my curls!! Girls ask me about my curls and touch them xD I only remember this when I was small but now as an adult.... NEVER! jaja All the stories in the book are happening to me now jaja

I think I will change my hairdresser. I see a good hair salon with many pretty women there. It is the unisex hair salon and is close to my house. I have friends going to the hair salon for the same and they have wavy and coiled hair. They get nice haircuts for curly hair and my hairdresser now cannot cut curly hair. I ask the women in the hair salons and they say they cut curly hair all day long so it is no problem for curly hair men. It is a bit expensive but I will go and get a new haircut there. In the book it also says about women can also be good hairdressers for men. Before I would never go to a hair salon with women only! But I read the book and it is correct that women are like men for cutting hair. It is the embarrassment of going to a hair salon with only old women and some pretty women! xD
12-18-2014, 02:58 PM
(12-18-2014 02:03 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  In the book it also says about women can also be good hairdressers for men. Before I would never go to a hair salon with women only! But I read the book and it is correct that women are like men for cutting hair. It is the embarrassment of going to a hair salon with only old women and some pretty women! xD

Don't be embarrassed of going to a hair salon and much less if it's a unisex hair salon. We see more and more men coming to our salon because of the complex hairstyles that are becoming popular. Perhaps thirty years ago you would get some weird looks but not now.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How can I get rid of frizzy hair? Tips and products to use MFP73 5 1,226 10-18-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 329 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 295 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,101 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili