Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly hair prevents hair loss or going bald?
12-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Curly hair prevents hair loss or going bald?
I was wondering today if curly hair prevents one from going bald or suffering a lot of hair loss. I have been visiting cousins & uncles for christmas and its interesting I noticed that some of my uncles are balding while other uncles with curly hair remain with their curls and no sign of balding lol and these are family members so obviously there is a balding gene somewhere...
Could curly hair in theory prevent hair loss or going bald?? now that i think about it most guys with curly hair I have seen keep their thick curls well into their old age so am left wondering about this...would love to hear what you guys have got to say about this observation Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2013, 05:15 PM
RE: Curly hair prevents hair loss or going bald?
Hi Lordius,

While it is indeed a good observation you've made, curly hair doesn't protect one from going bald. Male pattern baldness is genetic and has nothing to do with hair type per se.

The reason for what you have observed is due to the natural bulk of curly hair as a single unit, meaning that curly hair will take up more space atop your head than straight hair at equal hair (scalp) densities. Curly hair bends and curves and it also stands up (i.e. puffs out) at medium lengths to long lengths as opposed to straight hair, thus curly hair can easily hover over receding temples and/or conceal balding spots.

Your observation is a very genuine one in that it is true that there seems to be less balding curly men than balding straight-haired men, but this only has to do with how each hair texture sets itself on the scalp.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
(12-28-2013 05:15 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Lordius,

While it is indeed a good observation you've made, curly hair doesn't protect one from going bald. Male pattern baldness is genetic and has nothing to do with hair type per se.

The reason for what you have observed is due to the natural bulk of curly hair as a single unit, meaning that curly hair will take up more space atop your head than straight hair at equal hair (scalp) densities. Curly hair bends and curves and it also stands up (i.e. puffs out) at medium lengths to long lengths as opposed to straight hair, thus curly hair can easily hover over receding temples and/or conceal balding spots.

Your observation is a very genuine one in that it is true that there seems to be less balding curly men than balding straight-haired men, but this only has to do with how each hair texture sets itself on the scalp.

Best

Pretty much what our resident curly hair expert wrote above Smile

Coiled curly hair has an impressive ability to just hide all the hairless spots especially the ones in the crown which is one the main areas affected by male pattern baldness. If yo leave coiled curly hair at a medium length you can hide the balding crown if you do it well but you may need to throw some Toppik in there too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-24-2014, 03:29 PM
(12-28-2013 08:40 AM)Lordius Wrote:  I was wondering today if curly hair prevents one from going bald or suffering a lot of hair loss. I have been visiting cousins & uncles for christmas and its interesting I noticed that some of my uncles are balding while other uncles with curly hair remain with their curls and no sign of balding lol and these are family members so obviously there is a balding gene somewhere...
Could curly hair in theory prevent hair loss or going bald?? now that i think about it most guys with curly hair I have seen keep their thick curls well into their old age so am left wondering about this...would love to hear what you guys have got to say about this observation Smile

mate i have heard a lot of myths about balding but that one about curly hair is a new one lol
Not a chance. The only thing that youre guaranteed is looking to have more hair cause of the shape of the strands themselves. But that is it.

(12-28-2013 05:15 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Lordius,

Best

Ace reply! mate you should be posting more in the forum. I know you are all busy and stuff but as a barber learning the profession i can tell you i get all bright eyed when i spot one of your posts cause i know i will be learning something new whatever it is Big GrinBig Grin cheers man!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 314 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 289 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,761 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 266 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203