Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly hair not as strong as straight hair?
05-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Curly hair not as strong as straight hair?
I remember reading somewhere that curly hair is not as strong as straight hair and that it breaks with more ease. I was just wondering if this was true as I always thought it was the opposite Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: Curly hair not as strong as straight hair?
Curly hair is certainly brittler than straight hair because of the structure of the shaft in curly hair. The cross-sectional shape of the shaft in curly hair is oval and becomes flatter the curlier the hair; on the other hand, the cross sectional shape of the shaft in straight hair is round and even. Just for this fact alone, straight hair is more resistant than curly hair. Furthermore, the cells in curly hair are laid irregularly, thus exacerbating the brittleness of the shaft.

The above is why I emphasise so much in my books, sites and here to never use a comb on curly hair! Either use your fingers to style curly hair or a wide tooth comb and do it gently.

Have a look at the attached image (click on it to view); it depicts the aforementioned cross-sectional shape of the hair shaft in straight hair, wavy hair, coiled hair and kinky hair (i.e. curly hair).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
(05-21-2013 08:29 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Curly hair is certainly brittler than straight hair because of the structure of the shaft in curly hair. The cross-sectional shape of the shaft in curly hair is oval and becomes flatter the curlier the hair; on the other hand, the cross sectional shape of the shaft in straight hair is round and even. Just for this fact alone, straight hair is more resistant than curly hair. Furthermore, the cells in curly hair are laid irregularly, thus exacerbating the brittleness of the shaft.

The above is why I emphasise so much in my books, sites and here to never use a comb on curly hair! Either use your fingers to style curly hair or a wide tooth comb and do it gently.

Have a look at the attached image (click on it to view); it depicts the aforementioned cross-sectional shape of the hair shaft in straight hair, wavy hair, coiled hair and kinky hair (i.e. curly hair).

You only need to ask a female with long kinky hair about hair breakage, you'll be in for a long conversation Big Grin

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
(05-22-2013 05:27 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 08:29 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Curly hair is certainly brittler than straight hair because of the structure of the shaft in curly hair. The cross-sectional shape of the shaft in curly hair is oval and becomes flatter the curlier the hair; on the other hand, the cross sectional shape of the shaft in straight hair is round and even. Just for this fact alone, straight hair is more resistant than curly hair. Furthermore, the cells in curly hair are laid irregularly, thus exacerbating the brittleness of the shaft.

You only need to ask a female with long kinky hair about hair breakage, you'll be in for a long conversation Big Grin

+1

I remember in New York ending up in a hair salon for black women and talking for a few hours about hair. Was quite enjoyable and I got a free haircut too (and one of the fly chicks there was hitting on me).

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 314 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 288 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,721 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 265 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203