Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly hair humidity tips and products for men?
10-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Curly hair humidity tips and products for men?
I may be traveling to a very humid place in a couple of months so as a curly hair guy, are there any curly hair humidity products or tips I should know about? i will be traveling for my winter holidays as it gets freaking cold up north here in the winter.
I did fine this summer with the humidity and following the tips of the curly hair book. But this time I am gonna go to some sick humid place. I fear my curls will turn into a huge afro. I don't mind the afro but if I can keep my curls as their look now that would be great.

I have never been to really humid places so I would welcome any curly hair humidity tips or even products to use to fight the stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
RE: Curly hair humidity tips and products for men?
Lots of curly men are faced with this issue so it's good you open this thread so we can all advice about things to help your hair beat the odds against humidity. After all, when humidity hits, the bad hair days come about. And yes bad hair days do occur to men too Big Grin

To first understand how your hair is going to react you have to understand your hair. Those who have curly hair will normally find that they cannot straighten their hair due to the curls not wanting to be tamed. For the same matter, those who have straight hair will find that they really cannot keep a curl. The hair just decides it does not want to cooperate. Try to keep this in mind and use styles that compliment your natural hair style.

Since summer is the time when most humidity occurs in most areas and certainly in the USA, some people choose to cut their hair. They find that there is no life to their hair during the summer. This is when hair stylists will suggest the appropriate haircut for men, so if you want to go down that route consider a hairstylist used to cutting curly hair for men or go to your usual barber if you trust him to give you a good haircut that avoid frizz and the puffed afro effect. Normally, a haircut with layers will add a bit of texture which will help you to work with your hair easier.

Volume is always an issue during those hot summer months. That is when you need to use the shampoos and other hair products that are said to give volume to your hair. You can tame the frizzy hairdo with styling products such as mousse and styling creams. Another thing you can use on your hair that has been said to show improvements are one of the many anti frizz products that there are available. Most often, people will find that their hair goes poof in response to humidity. The anti frizz solution will help control this.

Do not forget that when adding products such as the anti frizz solution, hairstyling cream or the mousse, you should scrunch you hair if it is nay longer than four inches of length. This brings out a natural flow and makes the hair look fuller. To scrunch your hair, just bend your hair forward and make your dangling hair get closer to the scalp by pushing it towards the scalp. I would recommend to first use a styling cream before going on holiday so that you can gauge how much you need and how it works for you. Styling creams are great products for curly hair men. Plus they help a lot to avoid flyaway hairs and frizz.

The mods put up a great sticky thread on hair products for men, it's in here and I am sure you have read it before. Still the mousse and styling cream recommended are exactly the ones you should aim to use for such a situation you will be having during your holiday.

Your hair might become brittle and dry. This is due to the extreme heat. A good conditioner might be the best thing you invest in. A little bit goes a long way to bring your hair back to health when summer humidity hits. Sometimes, you might even need a dandruff shampoo in some cases if you find your scalp greasy. More than greasy that's the sweat and sebum in your scalp which is just stuck close to the scalp and this gives the greasy touch and feel. A dandruff shampoo will fix that out.

Make sure the conditioner you use has water insoluble silicones. Don't worry, most hair conditioners contain water insoluble silicones. If a conditioner doesn't contain water insoluble silicones, it will say so clearly in the label as that's another type of conditioner and it's even more expensive than the conditioners that have water insoluble silicones.

With all these things in mind and your hair will be fine. You will enjoy the feeling you get of aesthetic curls if you follow these few simple tips that will make your hair feel like the natural hair that you deal with during the rest of the year Smile
10-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Lightbulb RE: Curly hair humidity tips and products for men?
This below is a good post on curly hair and humidity. I am not a curly hair expert but I am learning a lot on mens hair since I joined the forum. The tips in the post below make a lot of sense and will useful for all the curly heads! It's even useful for those of us guys with no super curly hair so I'll share the post.

Keeping unruly curls under control during humid spells can be a struggle, but following some simple hair care rules can make curly hair that much more manageable in humid weather. Even though it may be tempting to wash your hair every day because you're sweating more in the humidity, you'll want to scale back on the frequency of shampooing and conditioning curly hair. Rinsing hair lightly with water and then shampooing only a few days per week can prevent frizz and excess damage to those textured tresses.

Here are some tips for surviving humidity with curly hair:

1. Use a leave-in conditioner every day. Conditioner acts as a protective barrier between the humidity and your hair. Comb a leave-in conditioner into your hair so that your curls won't be affected by a high humidity index. Keep a bottle of leave-in conditioner in your handbag for mid-day touch ups!

2. Protect hair when blow drying. If you do decide to blow dry your hair after washing or rinsing, make sure you use a heat protectant serum or spray before exposing curls to the heat. Heat damage can make curls super frizzy and damage the cuticle. Damaged hair will become very unruly in humid weather so you need to do everything possible to protect hair from damage.

3. Use wax-based styling products to sculpt hair. Wax-based styling products, such as mousse or hair balm can be especially effective for protecting curly hair from the humidity. These products act as a shield and can be applied to curls within seconds. I like to use wax-based styling products when I want to keep hair soft and pliable, and also protect my hair from heat and sun damage.

4. Choose moisture-rich shampoos and conditioners. Healthy hair will be less responsive to humidity and won't frizz as easily as damaged hair. Invest in a quality moisture-infused shampoo and conditioner to ensure your hair and scalp are well hydrated. Keeping hair moisturized will prevent damage and may also help you exercise some frizz control during humid spells.

5. Let your curly hair dry naturally whenever possible. Heat from the blow dryer and heated styling tools can damage those tresses fast. Let your curly hair dry naturally whenever possible and use a wide-toothed comb to let air flow easily all over your head. If you do want to use heated styling tools, wait until your hair is almost completely dry before applying a heat protectant serum and then style away!

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How can I get rid of frizzy hair? Tips and products to use MFP73 5 855 10-18-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 192 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 200 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 11,021 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili