Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly Hair and How to Style Side Swept Hairstyle
06-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Curly Hair and How to Style Side Swept Hairstyle
I know that sometimes men with curly hair complain of not being able to style the classic hairstyles. So I am posting pictures of a side swept hairstyle with curly hair, to show you all how it is possible to get a side swept hairstyle with curly hair, all you need is a good oil pomade - better than a water based pomade - as well as a good wide tooth comb.

The pictures below are of actor Peter Lorre in the 1950s. He was known for his slicked curls which he kept super flat by using the right pomade - see further down for which pomade to use to style your curls in the side swept.

Curly hair not combed in side swept
This is the original look of Peter Lorre's curls. How curly his hair is?? I would say coiled curly.

[Image: maltese-falcon-peter-lorre-1941.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m6libwW7Re1qakh43o1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_moxot2Q0lR1qmt8ipo7_r1_500.gif]

[Image: the-maltese-falcon-peter-lorre-1941-everett.jpg]

[Image: Astor,+Mary+%28Maltese+Falcon,+The%29_01.jpg]

[Image: lorre-falcon.jpg]

Curly hair styled in side swept hairstyle
Wet your hair before combing, then coat the hair with the pomade, then comb your curls to the side!
The pomade that he used for his curly hair to style it in a side swept was this Black & White pomade which was very popular at that time for mens curly hairstyles. He then would use a regular mens comb, but we recommend you to instead use a wide tooth comb or to at least use the wide tooth comb to set the direction of the hair in the side swept, then use a regular male comb. For a great wide tooth comb that will last you an eternity, get this wide tooth comb.

The difference from using the right pomade to sweep the curly hair is crazy!

[Image: 1232689_original.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre_3.jpg]

[Image: _1389050169_cover.jpg]

[Image: leOcf3X.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre-1938-everett.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
RE: Curly Hair and How to Style Side Swept Hairstyle
I'll sure try this out.
09-02-2014, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 07:30 AM by luizborges.)
What would be the preparation to make IT go from curly to side sweep? Just damp hair and pomade works? Because I tried it using oil based pomade with no luck, it got curly in the ends (my hair is 5 inches long), and my hair got greasy/sticky as hell (I have lots of hair). Using a water based pomade would make it more manageable?
09-02-2014, 09:43 AM
You need to use a pomade with a strong hold like the one TMHF recommended in the first post to keep the hair straight in the side swept with wavy hair. However it is not a 100% solid method with hair that is as long as your hair. A better method is to cut your hair to five centimeters which is like two inches. Wavy hair is very easy to keep straight with no waves at five cms.

For example the curly hair of Peter Lorre must be about two inches more or less. But if the hair is longer, the hair will still keep a curve or wavy shape. However I understand that perhaps you don't want to cut your hair & you want to keep a side swept hairstyle with five inches like you have.

If you don't want to cut your hair, then try a hair texturizer which is what men started using in the seventies & especially black men who wanted to style a side swept hairstyle. With a texturizer you make your wavy hair less wavy & more towards a straight shape. After the hair texturizer, wash your hair, use a conditioner & then you use the extra strong pomade & bravo you have really flat & straight hair Smile

If you want to try a texturizer you can use this texturizer set which is easy to apply to the hair. It comes with a neutralizer & conditioner, just follow the instructions as it is very easy to use. The texturizer in the link leaves your current hair as smoother & straighter permanently so you don't have to worry about wavy ends any more! however any new hair growth will be wavy so just apply the texturizer again after six weeks more or less.

The texturizer set in the link I posted above also has a customer mentioning in her review that the product arrived in time to her Beijing destination. I mention this because of your location Smile

The only extra item you will need for the texturizer are some strong gloves to keep your hands clean from the product as it can irritate your skin. You can get these protecting gloves or buy any in your local hardware shop.

You should always style your hair when it is damp & especially wavy hair.
09-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jurgen,
In Brazil stylists have some process called "curl relax" which is supposed to make it more straight/wavy and even some "definitive straightening" which makes your hair straight. Both works for about 3 months and then it must be redone. Is that the same thing? Since you describe irritation of the skin, I think it must be...

Also, I would like a less permanent approach, since I'm doing that just for a wedding party where I'm going to be a groomsman... Undecided
09-02-2014, 11:38 AM
(09-02-2014 11:25 AM)luizborges Wrote:  Thanks Jurgen,
In Brazil stylists have some process called "curl relax" which is supposed to make it more straight/wavy and even some "definitive straightening" which makes your hair straight. Both works for about 3 months and then it must be redone. Is that the same thing? Since you describe irritation of the skin, I think it must be...

Also, I would like a less permanent approach, since I'm doing that just for a wedding party where I'm going to be a groomsman... Undecided

isn't that like called the brazilian blowout technique? or brazilian keratin? either way its permanent method but i just remembered that since you mentioned Brazil.
Hope the guys can give you a good solution
09-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey Lordius,
I guess it must be it, or something close. There are some concerns about those procedures here. They seem to rely on ammonia and formaldehyde.
09-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Mate I would then simply go to a hair salon the day before and ask them to straighten your hair with a flat iron. The effect is temporary, after a couple of washes your hair returns to the same hair type. Or you could buy yourself a flat iron or ask a friend for one. Most ladies have a flat iron at home and it is fine for a guy to use one. You can also check this flat iron thread for good ones that have been recommended in the forum.

The problem which I also agree with J above is that your hair may be too long to really get it with no round or wavy ends. Better would be if you got a haircut and got your hair to 5 cms to 7 cms because 5 inches is well over 10 cms which is too long to really tame. Another option could be super strong hair gel instead of the pomade because you are going to need a lot of pomade which will get your hair too greasy. The problem with the hair gel tho will be that your hair will be hard like a rock.

Also consider hair spray and a hair dryer. This is if you dont want to get a haircut or if you don't want to use a flat iron the day before or on the same day. Comb your hair to the side for the side swept when your hair is damp and covered in super strong hair gel. Get your hair as flat and straight and possible. Then get the hair dryer and blow dry your hair as you keep your hair pressed dow with your fingers so it will not get wavy again. You will get some rounding but just about enough to do the trick. Last step is to use hair spray to male sure your hair stays put and in the sam shape your left it styled.

The trick I have just given you will leave your hair too hard but it is worth trying if you do not want to get a haircut. Check this useful hair gel post with hair gel recommendations. For this trick I suggest you get the Bedhead Mohawk hair gel which has a super strong hold.

My 0.02
09-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I tried a strong hold gel, no success. I had some sort of success using leave-in conditioner. I use lots of it and my hair retained the slick back appearance for about 3 hours, after that it started to curl again...

Also tried using hair spray, but I don't really know how to use it, so it didn't work.

I'm giving up for now, I will use my hair loose with just some leave-in to define the curls and be done with it.
09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
(09-03-2014 02:05 PM)luizborges Wrote:  I tried a strong hold gel, no success. I had some sort of success using leave-in conditioner. I use lots of it and my hair retained the slick back appearance for about 3 hours, after that it started to curl again...

Also tried using hair spray, but I don't really know how to use it, so it didn't work.

I'm giving up for now, I will use my hair loose with just some leave-in to define the curls and be done with it.

Sorry to hear that man. With wavy hair I can only get the hair straight with either super strong gel or super strong pomade. It makes my hair look greasy and plastered. So imagine if you have curly hair as in your curls are rounded than wavy hair. You could really push it and overload on all kinds of products but the final look will just look awful. Hair like cardboard like you are hiding a toupee. I know this because my brother who has curly hair has done the same thing to get straight hair and it just made his hair look like it was some kinda wig.

I think Peter Lorre did it because he has thin hair and thin hair is easier to stretch. But for thick hair forget it! Also what the guys said about using a chemical straightener. That is what many old timers used on their hair for a more caucasian hairstyle look.
10-19-2014, 05:22 AM
the difference is spectacular.
I already did this haircut but my hair are less curly than ours Blush
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Music Toby Sebastian Hair Style as Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones Tobys 1 260 10-18-2016 02:30 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 329 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 295 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,101 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili