Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curly Hair Undercut for Men - Not A Good Haircut
05-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Curly Hair Undercut for Men - Not A Good Haircut
This picture below is an example as to why the Undercut is a bad haircut for curly hair. With curly hair, the locks gain too much sideways volume for the Undercut to look any good. What usually happens with men with curly hair and the Undercut is that they will end up with, what Rogelio from "The Curly Hair Book" calls, the "walking mushroom" effect.

If you have curly hair and still insist in getting an Undercut, then at least get some quick taper on the edges or get a 2 Step Undercut where the haircut creates 2 layers for the Undercut. A good example of a 2 Step Undercut used by a curly guy is the hair of Joey Essex who got a regular Undercut and realized he looked like a mushroom and then got the 2 Step Undercut.

Anyway, here's the first picture illustrating why a regular Undercut with no tapering is usually not a good hair cutting idea for a male curly mane.

[Image: tumblr_n5m9t5ofvm1qhvpcso1_400.jpg]

Here now below are 2 pictures of Joey Essex with his first regular Undercut for his curls, notice again the huge sideways volume on the sides of the hair!

[Image: towie-joey-essex-beach.jpg]

[Image: Joey-Essex.jpg]

So, he realized he screwed up his curly haircut, and then did the right thing and got the 2-Step Undercut where the extra under-cut layer (i.e. 2 steps) cushions the sideways volume of the curls.

[Image: article-2288819-187478F5000005DC-290_634x356.jpg]

[Image: RcUSib8.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 01:52 PM
RE: Curly Hair Undercut for Men - Not A Good Haircut
One hairstyle i'll steer clear off then.
07-31-2014, 12:52 PM
i was already staying away from this, now i am terrified of this
07-31-2014, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 01:10 PM by AfroJay.)
undercut for curly hair?
lol i have a half black and half white friend who has coiled curls and he also once tried the undercut for curly hair. His curly swag evaporated as soon as the barber finished the under cut!
08-08-2014, 05:54 AM
Does this work with wavy hair? My hair is not super curly
08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
(08-08-2014 05:54 AM)guyverman Wrote:  Does this work with wavy hair? My hair is not super curly

Yes, the regular Undercut does work with wavy hair. If you haven't already, have a look at our hair types guide to be able to tell which of the 4 types is your hair. That guide that we use is a brief guideline of the big hair type guide in The Men's hair Book (click the link to see the book if interested).

It's the coiled curly hair type, which is a bit curlier than wavy hair, that becomes problematic with the Undercut, and thus coiled curly hair requires something like a 2 Step Undercut or a taper haircut for best aesthetics.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can someone please tell what kind of haircut this is? thedelakore 0 145 11-12-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: thedelakore
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 333 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 296 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,211 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili