Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Curly Hair Tutorial: Basics for Great Curls
06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Curly Hair Tutorial: Basics for Great Curls
This is a curly hair tutorial mainly for men but also for women. This is an expanding thread covering styling, grooming, profiling and everything that concerns curly hair. This curly hair tutorial is based on the tutorials and method found in the bestselling book, The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (aka The Curly Hair Book).

According to Rogelio, author of The Curly Hair Book, you must approach your curly hair in a wholesome manner: there is the profiling part to know your curly hair, the grooming part as your daily interaction with your curly hair, the caring part as the long term relation with your curly hair and the motivational and inspirational part as the key to owning your curly hair and being happy with it Smile We have asked Rogelio to post this tutorial and he was very kind to give us his permission. This initial post is just a very brief outlining of what Rogelio covers and writes in The Curly Hair Book and serves as a tutorial that we can expand in this thread. The Curly Hair Book is almost 250 pages long and the book is so well worth the read for any curly male.

Curly Hair Tutorial

Profile your curly hair
Rogelio crated a pioneering curly hair profiling guide, in fact he has created two guides but one specific for curly hair. His guide is called "Curly Hair Type Guide" and is based on the distance your hair takes to grow one single curl. This guide is actually quire intelligent as it measures the hair instead of using random indicators like the other few guides that exist do.

To read more about Rogelio "Curly Hair Type Guide", read here: Curly Hair Type

Groom your curly hair
Another pioneering method of Rogelio is how to groom your hair. He divides the grooming process into three stages: cleaning, conditioning and styling.

You clean your hair with a shampoo or the Sebum Coating method (with help of your fingers), you condition your hair with a conditioner and you style your hair with a comb or your fingers and a hairstyling product.

Specific care for your curly hair
According to Rogelio, there are three hair issues to battle: dry hair, tangled hair and hair loss. Each issue has many measures that correct the issue and it is your duty to abide by them to ensure your awesome mane.

Nutrition is also very important for your hair and part of your hair care. You should be improving your diet and using supplements in most cases to get the ideal nutrients into your body.

Inspiration and motivation for your curly hair
Rogelio is big on inspiration and motivation and he has served as a source of both for many men through the years. Not only Rogelio has great curly hair himself (have a look on his site and see for yourself!) but he has made it his goal to provide examples of many men who can serve as inspiration and motivation to you.

The main idea is for you to see other men with great curly hair and be inspired to get your own head of great curls too. Rogelio provides lots of examples of men in his book and also in his site, and you can use our curly hair inspiration thread to get your inspiration too.

You can get your curly hair inspiration in our own thread dedicated to it: Curly Hair Inspiration

Conclusion
Obviously the above is a very simplistic and super abbreviated tutorial. The point of this is for everyone to interact so we can expand on this quick view of how to get yourself your curly hair looking great. You are now invited to ask your questions etc as Rogelio and other hair professionals are members of this forum and can help you in using this tutorial to your advantage!

You can also get The Curly Hair Book here in Amazon

Start!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: Curly Hair Tutorial: Basics for Great Curls
There are certain product types that will help tremendously in getting your curls looking great. These are:
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Hairstyling product
  • Hair Dryer
  • Towel
  • Wide tooth comb
  • Hair accessories
  • Sleeping cap

Shampoo for curly hair
It should be good enough to remove excessive product or sebum build up but not too drying. Get any of these

Moisture balance shampoo
Moisture retaining shampoo

Conditioner for curly hair
Conditioners help in retaining optimal levels of moisture and in making the curls smooth. Get any of these

Repairing conditioner (to be used even if your hair is not damaged as it helps in avoiding damage too)
Pure Moisture conditioner

Hairstyling products for curly hair

Hairstyling products are those products used to give your hair a style and shape. Not all hairstyling products are useful for curly hair, here are some that will help you curls

Hair gel
Pomade
Hair wax (use only if your curls are Type I or II, refer to Rogelio's Curly Hair Type Guide for what those curl types are)
Hair mousse
Styling cream
Organic raw coconut butter (simply melt in your hands and style, only use for loose styles)
Hair spray
Leave-in conditioner (can be used as a styling product, like butter, only use for loose styles or instead use with another hairstyling product)

Towel for curly hair
Don't use regular towels to dry your hair, use a microfiber towel or cotton towel

Microfiber towel
Cotton towel

Wide tooth comb for curly hair

If you want to style your curls you must use a wide tooth comb!

Wide tooth comb infused with Argan Oil, Olive oil and keratin
Rake style wide tooth comb
Afro pick

Hair accessories
If your hair is at least a medium length, you can also use hair accessories

Hair bands
Headband
Dorag

Sleeping cap for curly hair
While you can go to bed with your curls uncovered, using a sleeping cap will help in minimizing damage to your curly mane

Satin sleeping cap (the least feminine of ones available LOL but very comfortable!)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Awesome mate, good recap on the basics of curly hair, so I take it the stages go one after another in the bathroom setting?
06-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I have the book so I can confirm that -- yes -- the stages follow each other so it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd. There are some exceptions talked in the book and Rogelio says you can do the cleaning and conditioning at a later time from the styling.
06-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Love the fast approach to the tutorial. You say that running your fingers thru the hair [as it's called "Sebum coating method"] helps, is it possible to expand a little on this? I bought the Mens Hair book by Rogelio and will have it shipped in a couple of days to my house, is the Sebum coating method explained in that book too?
06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Robert,

This is Rogelio, the author of The Men's Hair Book (and The Curly Hair Book too). Yes, my Sebum Coating method is fully explained in the book as so are my other methods and concepts. Because my concepts are totally new to the hair-care industry, it's important that you read the book carefully as I delve deep so that you can get to finally know your hair to its most-minute detail.

For the Sebum Coating method and as you will learn once you get the book, you run your fingers through the locks starting from the scalp all the way to the tip; you do this fast and smooth as the lock is wet from the shower water.

Thanks for buying my book, and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Best.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
so we can use a normal shampoo even if the shampoo frequency is low?? mine is every 4 days (1 on/3 off).
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
(06-13-2013 03:17 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  so we can use a normal shampoo even if the shampoo frequency is low?? mine is every 4 days (1 on/3 off).

Dont quote me on this but I think Rogelio says its cool to use a regular (or normal) shampoo for your optimized frequency of shampoo use and you should build up to this frequency using the same shampoo all the time as well.
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
makes sense then. And what about difference in curly hair care between a coiled type and a kinky type? thanks Smile
06-20-2013, 11:47 PM
AfroJay, you can use a normal shampoo, you can even use a shampoo for dry hair or oily hair, just dont get one of those harsher shampoos like deep cleaning or clarifying, at least for your worked out frequency. Stron shampoos are only used a month, if anything.

Usually the difference in hair care between coiled and kinky types is about shampoo frequency and need for more moisturizing for the kinky type. Kinky hair also requires different hairstyles and should be most of the time finger combed or shaked and go.

Wait for Rogelio to chip in as Im sure he can develop on this a bit more Smile

06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
question that many will appreciate, is the structure of the routine itself the same for the four hair types? I know the answer is yes but in case others may be wondering after reading the thread on hair types Smile
06-21-2013, 06:36 PM
TMHF said it right, just about any regular shampoo will suffice; just don't use the truly-potent shampoos (clarifying/chelating) for your shampooing frequency.

Stevens, yes, the structure of the hair-grooming routine is the same: you always shampoo, then follow with conditioner then finish with styling. Some days you will shampoo your hair while other days you will just use your fingers to shampoo; some days you will use a conditioner whereas other days you will just use your own sebum; some days you will use a hairstyling product type and some other days use another hairstyling product type. It is all dictated by your shampooing frequency.

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Is it really necessary to profile your hair?
It has helped me a lot personally but I wonder if a dude with curly hair can simply jump into doing the no shampoo method etc without knowing his hair type or hair length and what not.
06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
You should be ok not profiling your hair.. but it helps a lot for customizing your routine etc as Rogelio laid out for the three stages & what not.
From what Ive seen with clients at my shop, having a rough idea of your hair type always help to really get your hair routine structured. Much more with curly hair that said.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
About hair straighteners, flat irons etc so they are a big phat no for curly hair??
07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Zorba, Rogelio says not to use them if you are using them as a way to cope with ur curly hair, but you can use a hair straightener from time to time as another hairstyle option.
But remember hair straighteners will damage your curls over time.

08-13-2013, 08:45 PM
hey guys ..i couldn't create a new thread so i hope posting my questions here is okay Big Grin

anyways ..so basically i've been growing my hair for the past 3 months or so ,and i was wondering if it's possible to make my kinky hair look similar to this guy's hair ?

^
[Image: 1080511_499656090116943_125077012_n.jpg]

And i was also wondering if there is any products out there that would make shaping my afro any easier aside from the comb ? (it's a pain the derriere).

^i'm not a native speaker ,so sorry for my english Big Grin
08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Hello Yassir welcome to our community!

If you have read our hair type guide and have identified your curly hair as "kinky type" then you will have to loosen the structure of your kinks a little bit to have the curly hair of that guy in the picture. That guy has the coiled (curly) type and the most effective way is using a product called a "texturizer". The texturizer smoothes and loosens the kinks after application and it lasts almost permanently (you will have to apply again after 8 weeks to the new hair that has grown from the scalp). After the texturizer you then use a curl activator cream to bring out the curls Smile

Try these curly hair products:

Texturizer product (follow instructions for application and time. Apply once every 8 weeks to the new hair grown which will be kinky - your true hair type)
Curl activator (use it daily in the morning before leaving your house)
Hair mousse (use some after applying the curl activator)
Hair dryer (use briefly to puff the hair out)

The hair mousse and hair dryer will work to get the puff going better and not make the hair look so soaked from the curl activator. Use the lowest temperature on the hair dryer.

You can also buy a shea butter texturizer which works to loosen the curls and gives better definition. It's 4 pounds of products so you have many applications and will last an eternity!! Cool If you buy the shea butter texturizer also buy a neutralizing conditioner to use couple of days each week.

10-05-2013, 03:59 PM
btw haven't seen Rogelio from manly curls in the forum lately, anyone know if he still posts? miss learning something new everytime he posts Smile
10-18-2013, 06:48 PM
(10-05-2013 03:59 PM)Stevens Wrote:  btw haven't seen Rogelio from manly curls in the forum lately, anyone know if he still posts? miss learning something new everytime he posts Smile

Checking in!

What have I missed in this side of town?

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 322 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 291 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,856 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 266 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203