Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curling Iron sizes: Useful guide to buy curling irons
10-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Information Curling Iron sizes: Useful guide to buy curling irons
I noticed we had a good thread on curling irons for men, but it didn't have the curling iron sizes. So I am posting below all curling iron sizes. This is useful as a reference if you decide to buy this type of hair iron. Here is the curling iron for men thread in which the mods also gave some product recommendations (I agree with them too). You should check that thread out with the curling irons sizes below so you then get an idea of how big or small you want your curls to be.

I came across the sizing guide below from an expert in these irons so I think it's also a good addition to the forum for people to reference so they can consider how big they want their ironed curls and then get the best curling iron.

Curling Iron Sizes Guide

3/8 inch barrel size is recommended for soft, tight curls, bangs and wisps.

3/4 inch barrel size is good for short hair and for creating tendrils

5/8 inch barrel is good for smooth, tight curls.

1 inch barrel is good for short to medium length styles, good for creating tendrils

1 -1/4 inch barrel is the most popular for mid-length and longer styles

1 -1/2 inch barrel is good for smoothing out wave and tipping ends under or out

2 inch barrel is good for smoothing out wave and giving just a bend to the ends

Important tip

Your hair should be able to wrap around the barrel at least 1-1/2 times for curls. This means if you have really thick, or really thin hair, you may want to go a little lower on the curling iron sizes. The same goes for short mens hair, most of us have short hair so obviously the narrower the barrel size the better for short hair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2014, 10:51 AM
RE: Curling Iron sizes: Useful guide to buy curling irons
This is good info on curling irons. Like you say men usually have short hair or long enough to style up so the smaller barrels would be the ones to choose for a curling iron. I think it is good that this forum is so open to talk about these products as they really can be of use to a lot of guys.

Right where we work in our salon we get to se a lot of men showing interest in styling tools for hair like this one and flat irons or hair dryers. Main fear seems to be that they don't want others to know their using of products that 'belong' to women which is a bit silly to be honest. I am a female hairdresser and I can really say that all hair products that work for women will work for men and vice versa. Lots of guys are missing the opportunity to spice up their hair so what this forum is doing is great to open the eyes of men when it comes to hair products.
10-17-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: Curling Iron sizes: Useful guide to buy curling irons
You would think that having long hair like myself I would be interested in a curling iron. But nah that stuff is no good if you try to keep your hair care as natural as possible. My hair care has radically changed in the years that I have been growing my mane. Before I would use all sorts of heat products like hair dryers and flat irons and would have no problem with curling irons. But abuse of these heat products in the long-term can stay with you and if wanting to grow your hair long,it is best to do so with as fresh and virgin hair as possible.

Now for long-ish hair or for guys who are happy to cut their hair once there the hair gives up and takes all heat abuse, then that all fine and cool. It's not for us oldies with very long hair who dislike haircuts as much as a cat dislikes water ha Big Grin
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 313 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
  Guide on how to use a hair dryer for men The Kid 2 6,040 05-10-2015 11:18 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Use heat tamer product with ionic flat iron to straighten hair? Curly Dude 2 659 03-29-2015 07:33 AM
Last Post: Bradley
  Best materials for curling irons? Alex 3 1,184 03-28-2015 12:07 AM
Last Post: Fidel92