Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cool Men Hairstyles - Guide to All Trendy Styles (pictures and advice)
03-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Cool Men Hairstyles - Guide to All Trendy Styles (pictures and advice)
Let's dedicate this guide to all cool men hairstyles, including posting advice, tips and pictures of every hairstyle. The hair styles should be trendy, modern and recently been popular or currently being popular.

The purpose is to give you all some good hair inspiration and also give you lots of ideas and tips on hairstyles that you would otherwise not know of. One of the goals of this forum is to spread awareness of the cool things that you can do to your hair (both on the scalp and face), and we have so far covered a wide range of hairstyling guides including our 2014 mens hairstyles guide and our epic short haircuts for men guide. This guide will cover all recently-popular cool hairstyles for men, so let's start!

Messy hair

Messy hairstyles are always a winner and many of us believe that this style as a concept has plenty of future ahead for 2014 and 2015, having already killed it in 2012 and 2013. All you require is some hair wax (get this one) and a hair dryer to tousle your hair with your fingers and set the messy look as you prefer. And that's actually the cool thing about this particular hair style, you are in control of how "messy" you want your hair to be!

[Image: 90d98026eb0e7ec9747640b8d5881f47.jpg]

[Image: 545afbc70683ed26bb8e530500b12ed1.jpg]

[Image: 94c8bee7ecd463fe8dea07447762c6b4.jpg]

[Image: b44c395325afdd335663b5e35349d99e.jpg]

[Image: bZo1TW8.jpg]

[Image: 126fa0feef581e4c399a56a6ee99df49.jpg]

Quiff

The Quiff is one heck of a mens hairstyle! In the Quiff, the hair mostly lays semi flat except for the forelock (hair on the front), which is styled up and shaped as you like, whether perpendicular (to the scalp), angled or sided. Likewise, the Quiff can be styled with an undercut as the sides and back of the head are clipped with with no comb or with a very low guard number (a #1 or #2).

The forelock in the Quiff is usually longer than the rest of the hair on the top of the head so as to enable the Quiff to stand out more and draw attention to it. The goal is to visually separate the forelock (i.e. Quiff) from the rest of the hair on the top of the head.

In terms of hair products to use for the Quiff, a good wax or gel will work to define and shape the forelock. This hair wax goes very well for the Quiff.

[Image: e97ac5a76ab0921b4ac6de6b7b3c1c26.jpg]

[Image: 096a085b8f463d6f47a820c597f242b0.jpg]

[Image: 4f884e0b26fc02b8420a3d37a431d39d.jpg]

[Image: 1ea3f4311e225305ddcb7712db278f87.jpg]

[Image: e426d0cee985d10fe70a43496318d769.jpg]

Brush up

The Brush Up is a hairstyle where the hair on the top is styled up but without any detailed definition like you'd do with spiky hair. In fact the Brush Up is more like an extension of the Quiff itself where the hair behind the forelock (where the Quiff is) is also lifted up. Thus you get all the hair on top of the head styled up but without any styling details.

The Brush Up hairstyle has been used by the likes of Zayn Malik and Justin Bieber, and while the style itself went by several low-key names, we at the Men's Hair Forum officially coined the name "brush up" and, since then, this particular men's hairstyle has been addressed as such Smile

The Brush Up goes very well with wax or putty as well as with a good hair dryer. To style the hair up, simply use your fingers to lift the hair up as you point the hair dryer to the section of hair that you're working on. A good hair dryer is a must for this hairstyle (and for most hairstyles, actually) so we recommend you to invest in a good hair dryer like this one here.

[Image: zayn_malik_5.jpg]

[Image: NcOTNmN.jpg]

[Image: article-2537979-1A94DBC500000578-391_634x617.jpg]

[Image: justin-bieber-celibataire.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: Cool Men Hairstyles - Guide to All Trendy Styles (pictures and advice)
Undercut

The Undercut has been trending hard for over 2 years and it will continue to be up there in terms of popularity. The Undercut is very versatile and the top can be styled with a quiff, brush up, bangs, a side swept or even styled as a slicked back undercut.

You have lots of styling options available and having a good hair wax or pomade as well as a high quality hair clipper like this one will allow you to style your hair however you want without having to visit the barbershop or salon ever again!

[Image: Bd74LPJ.jpg]

[Image: 4c08d55db2614c1f97ddc4afa8045a34.jpg]

[Image: 52695b6adcf34aac4891ce773cb80330.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mddsotiNDr1rdruzpo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 4aHJSiL.jpg]

Side part

The side part will never die, and we are noticing a tendency towards the side swept too. More and more guys are choosing pomade to sweep the hair and create side swept styles with volume. On the other hand, middle-aged men still go back to the classic side part without any extravagant styling as a regular side part is undefeated when it comes to dressing as a man.

For your side parting or side sweeping, go with a water-based pomade if possible to avoid too much sleek and potential chaos with greasiness. A good pomade that goes well for the side part and side swept without getting greasy is this pomade.

[Image: 6fb3e739d60d97cedb668f5e9cb52b3d.jpg]

[Image: alg-jason-sudeikis-graumans-jpg.jpg]

[Image: e0a3cd5c9797cff0797a6398634bb8e6.jpg]

[Image: bfb1322c5c4bdc0065d9ae6a3a4f438e.jpg]

[Image: 4b194d2d5e1e5d54b6833c8219c9c549.jpg]

Long hair

Lots of guys have been growing their hair long during 2012 and 2013, which means that 2014 is the year to rock long hair! Male celebrities like Joaquin Phoenix and Jared Leto have grown their hair long to make a statement and stand out. Long tresses also add a more youthful look to males so it's a good choice of a look for middle aged men provided that the hair is well taken care of.

Books like The Men's Hair Book have greatly added to spark an interest in men to have better hair and grow those locks out!

[Image: 8228d9b642f190a4ea149308e601a020.jpg]

[Image: 321f6cd68f15e570eaf99b789a4500bc.jpg]

[Image: Justin-Lee-Collins-smirki-001.jpg]

[Image: 5d659f82309156f7162b3fda61a9196a.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n1qy2ae9KU1rzuwxao1_500.jpg]

Man bun

The man bun is a long hairstyle for men. The hair is essentially tied into a regular bun or into a, what we call, ponybun. The man bun has been sported recently by quite a few male celebrities including Jared Leto, Joaquin Phoenix, Alex Ebert, Leonardo diCaprio, Orlando Bloom and Chris Hemsworth (to name a few of the male celebrities wearing a man bun at some point).

We have a complete guide on the man bun style that is very worth the read if you have hair that is at least 6 inches long and you want to consider spicing up your image!

[Image: 315619777dc0d09e826ac33b674fde1e.jpg]

[Image: RzQiMYp.jpg]

[Image: fa12f82a32276bc5ed47d08ced804b24.jpg]

[Image: 2ebef6408844976418ce63c69ee590ce.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mxnxep817h1qd8hm0o1_1280.jpg]

Curly hair

While curly hair in itself isn't a hairstyle, more men wit curly hair are daring to let their waves and coils grow and have started to style their manes with some pretty cool styles. Among them is the "natural" curly hair style where the hair is not manipulated and simply sits on top of the head. For men with the hair types of coiled curly and kinky curly, the natural style is very convenient and suitable as these hair types are best left without much manipulation.

Bestselling author and blogger Rogelio published The Curly Hair Book in 2013 and this book has given men with curly hair the best tool they could ever have in their hands. This book details all the tricks, tips and knowledge needed to have great curly hair, so more men are now addressing their "awesome manes" (as Rogelio jokingly calls them in the book) with the right mindset and knowledge. For what is worth Rogelio is the same author of The Men's Hair Book, which I mentioned earlier, and both his books are excellent reads and "must haves" for any males. We also use some of Rogelio's teachings in this forum itself (for example, we make use of his ISEZ hair type guide as it is the most comprehensive guide to profiling men's hair and which you can find explained detailed in The Men's Hair Book).

While curly hair looks great as a natural style, the same styles covered in this guide can, for the most part, be applied to curly hair, although, instead of a regular comb, any male with curly hair must at all times use a wide tooth comb (get this one). Using a regular comb on curly hair can not only lead to styling chaos but also break the fragile curls!

[Image: nvdSjC0.jpg]

[Image: David-Bisbal-en-concierto.jpg]

[Image: ZGUxVKF.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6361.jpg]

[Image: 8f764a6fa5e4591b3c7098e4934bc10d.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Man I am subscribing to this thread and also bookmarking it just for the pictures of the hairstyles! it is great to put the vision of how it looks to each hairstyle and cause of the different versions a hairstyle name is not just something that is limited to strict styling instructions. Creative hairstyles for the win!

The one I like the most is the undercut hairstyle because the hair on the top is so open to creative styling really... lots of choices and the hair at the sides is taken care of in the undercut which is a good thing as the hair at the sides of the head and also at the back close to the neck are hairs that serve no styling purpose for the most part. Styling the top is where the fun is at so in the undercut you can pretty much concentrate on that alone.
My two cents.
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
I really like the brush-up hairstyle but when I try to do it on myself, it seems like I have a mohawk...
04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
I think a lot of these hairstyles you'll see on a load of various different football players
04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
(03-22-2014 08:25 AM)claesson Wrote:  I really like the brush-up hairstyle but when I try to do it on myself, it seems like I have a mohawk...

Yes, the brush up can be a bit tricky to master. Make sure to be lifting the hair around the perimeter of the top of the head too and have the hair dryer pointing directly to the section of the hair that you are lifting up with the fingers. If you haven't already, do make sure to have a good read through our Brush Up hairstyle guide to know how to style the brush up. You can also ask questions in the thread if you have any issues.

04-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I agree, trying to master the brush up is difficult because I have also experienced the mohawk look when im trying to get a quiff/ brush up. Definitely gonna check out the guide.
04-21-2014, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 07:51 AM by Bradley.)
My turn! altho I think i did screw up my last attempt at formatting the titles for the styles Big Grin will give it another go.

Modern pompadour
This one is a pompadour hairstyle with straight hair and done with a taper haircut so unlike the classic pompadour!

[Image: 83a0c52f186d29268ff3105d7437bc6f.jpg]

Classic pompadour
Now this one is more of a classic pompadour with wavy hair. You can see how there is still length at the sides and the hair follows the back & angled direction of the true greaser pompadour. Not to mention the wavy quiff. The only thing missing is some Black and White pomade to stick it in there and really grease that pompadour lol

[Image: cf594cc326ab314c36bf3f3e074593f7.jpg]

Side comb with quiff
In this hairstye picture the forelock of the side part forms an actual quiff that stands up from the res to fthe hair but it maintains the same direction of the rest of the hair on the head so it really is not what we would go as far as to call a messy quiff (but some people may call it as such and its fine).

[Image: 9976c454728d076fef9ecd567132e22a.jpg]

Side parts with big hair
It is true that a side part is a side part but you can play both with its tousling and its size. And size does matter... for the side part Big Grin I guarantee you lads that if you do a side part with big hair you will be turning heads in a good way. We were giving the haircuts for this kind of side part during winter and teaching our clients how to do the daily styling and they always came back to maintain the haircut for the big hair side part!! women loved it.
Only issue is you will be needing a hair dryer, click link to see discussion thread, and if possible a good one, which ain't cheap to be blatantly honest. But you should be owning a hair dryer anyways for the rest of your hairstyles if you are serious about your hair and changing your hairstyles whenever you want wherever you want alright.

[Image: af53cf2d077980175f075de8b48fe22e.jpg]

[Image: b3be2a9131a7fe96432207c328399807.jpg]

[Image: af7af54bf04c33fc29323778d1717cec.jpg]

[Image: b994e38a24017f26c24824376f3d5b1d.jpg]

Wild side fringe
Grow your hair long and then use the same hair dryer for the big hair side part to then get a big hair and wild side fringe!

[Image: f34a2ce64f8c396ddb9acf011b296edb.jpg]

Quiff
If you are short on creativity for the day then just quiff your hair Cool 1st picture gets extra points for creative look with really curled handlebar moustache! Also 2nd picture has the quiff with curly hair, awesome example of curly quiff styles to hopefully inspire some of our curly readers right? Wink btw I will be posting this picture in a thread for itself in the curly hair section for our curly readers.

[Image: f96eaafef4ddf602ee0edddd7b6080d5.jpg]

[Image: c750bf2a676ad3548a4a1b9ac06e2720.jpg]

[Image: 3c92b6bec39ac5359d08cf98e57a05ea.jpg]

That is it. For now...

(03-22-2014 08:25 AM)claesson Wrote:  I really like the brush-up hairstyle but when I try to do it on myself, it seems like I have a mohawk...

Yea agreed with Themenshairforum in that it takes some practising the style with the instructions in the guide. Make it look natural... natural messy. The brush up is not defined in itself as otherwise it would be some kind of spiky hairstyle!

(04-16-2014 10:05 PM)herehair Wrote:  I think a lot of these hairstyles you'll see on a load of various different football players

Yea mate. Premier league football players especially, can see you are from Uk, we see lots of young football players in the league with some pretty trendy hairstyles and we have covered some in the celebrities forum section. Spain and Italy are not that far from us and Germany I reckon its hairstyles have been taking off for the last 5 years thereabouts.
Got to love the german football players tho in the mid nineties with their mullet haircuts lol which reminds me of the '3 lions' song for the Euro 1996! may pass by the video forum section in a bit and post the video clip actually as they are mocking the mullets that just about all german football players were wearing. Catchy song and hilarious clip... just a shame we could not get to the finals cause of them Big Grin

Dunno what France and its football players hairstyles are like tho.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 71 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 248 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,034 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Product and haircut advice needed it Jrt0808 0 173 10-08-2016 11:42 AM
Last Post: Jrt0808