Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combining petroleum based pomades with water based pomades?
10-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Combining petroleum based pomades with water based pomades?
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm using petroleum based pomaded (Murray's Superior pomade, DAX Red pomade and such) for a slick back look for some time now. I need the heavy stuff as I have really thick and stubborn hair. Petroleum based products have the negative side of making my hair really greasy and wavy since I have to use a lot of it. For that reason I decided to experiment with a water based products.

For the first time today, I used the Layrite Super hold pomade. Since my hair still was pretty loaded with a heavy grease I just applied it on top of the Murray's pomade, which seemed to work fine. Now I'm considering continuing this routine. The Murray's pomade or something like it as a base and the Layrite water based pomade for finishing. That would considerably reduce the amount of the Layrite pomade needed (the Layrite pomade is almost 4x the price of the Murray's pomade after all). Or is there any caveat?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2015, 11:45 AM
You can combine oil-based pomades with water-based styling pomades with no issues.
There isn't anything inherently wrong with combining a water-based pomade with a petrolatum-based pomade.

Pomades that use petrolatum (the actual petroleum-based ingredient in most oil-based pomades) is a very cheap chemical which is the one that causes the greasy hyper-shiny effect when used to style men's hair. Petrolatum-based pomades were very common in the 1960s and the famous Pompadour hairstyles of Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash were indeed styled with oil-based pomades loaded with petrolatum.

Not all oil-based pomades have petrolatum, and those pomades that do not have petrolatum tend to be premium pomades that cost more than the petrolatum-based pomades. See these two oil-based styling pomades for two great pomades with one of them being petrolatum based and the other one being non-petrolatum based.

Nowadays, the purpose of water-based pomades is to offer the same benefits of oil-based pomade without the greasy look and without the difficulty of removing the pomade's residue. However, most water-based pomades fail at giving the full spectrum of benefits from oil-based pomades, so, if you're looking for that hyper-shine and sheen slicked look of the 1950s and 1960s, then only a reduced number of water based pomades can achieve this, including the Deluxe Layrite water-based pomade that you're using and that has been reviewed by our forum staff in the link.

By combining a heavy petrolatum-based pomade like Murray's pomade with a lighter water-based pomade like Layrite's pomade, all that you're doing is decreasing your daily product cost at the extent of getting some heavier residue left by the Murray's pomade. Of course, you aren't going to be left with a gooey slicked film of pomade residue as if you were using the Murray's pomade only, but you're still going to be left with some residue that warrants a shampoo session before going to bed.

Lastly, the water-based pomade from Layrite that you're using emulated the high-shine and high-hold from the older oil-based pomades, so you[re mixing 2 pomades that aim to achieve the same slicked effect. What this means is that you're safe to continue using both pomades without expecting a hair-styling disaster. If you were combining other type of water-based pomade with a lower shine, then you'd be having some issues, but your current combination is benign at its heart and is a decent way to save up on your costs.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-11-2015, 10:48 AM
RE: Combining petroleum based pomades with water based pomades?
Thanks for having taken the time to answer my question competently. It's appreciated.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 59 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Blackship water based pomade by Flagship review Charms434 0 965 11-16-2015 01:34 PM
Last Post: Charms434
  Teddy Boy Original Water Based Pomade - Product Review Charms434 0 630 11-16-2015 10:49 AM
Last Post: Charms434