Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comb, brush or fingers, which you use to style your hair?
08-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Comb, brush or fingers, which you use to style your hair?
Ever since I've been learning more about my hair I have learned to go easy with my hair when styling and to comb with care. I also stopped using a brush and now I try to use my fingers for most of my styling except for slicking my hair to the side when the occasion calls for it. I can say my hair now looks healthier without the brushing and with finger styling for the most part, love how my hair looks now (I also do the no shampoo method of Rogelio).

What about you, which of the three tools you use to style your hair?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 06:49 PM
RE: Comb, brush or fingers, which you use to style your hair?
Definitively fingers although I own a good comb too for when i feel like parting the hair.

By the way, if you're going with a comb, it is very important that you choose a good comb and choose the right one for your male hair type.

For men with straight hair, a comb with a handle is a good option whereas for men with wavy to curly hair, a wide tooth comb is a much better option. When the hair is wavy or coiled as it occurs with curly hair, the teeth of a regular comb will hook against the curved structured of the curly hair and will destroy the pattern of the curl. Using a regular comb on curly hair can also lead to pulling the hair too hard and either breaking it or pulling it out of the follicle. Not good at all.

It is also important to choose a sturdy comb and not one of those cheap plastic combs. You want a comb with solid teeth that don't bend when combing so as to get the best combing and style possible.

For those of you with straight hair, go with this high quality men's comb (it's handmade) and for those of you with curly hair, go with this high quality wide-tooth comb (made out of sturdy long-lasting wood!). And if you didn't already know this men's hair trick of which comb to use according to your hair type, then you seriously need to catch up on your hair's knowledge and I highly recommend you that while you are getting yourself the right men's comb as per the above links, you do also get yourself The Men's Hair Book, which will completely transform your knowledge and grooming of your hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
my case is 50/50 with comb/fingers. no brush whatsoever
08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I do use a comb myself- pockets one you know- but change the styling tools on my clients depending on their hair type, as a general rule
  • Straight hair: regular or pocket combs
  • Curly hair: finger styling or a wide tooth comb (have dozens in the barbershop)

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
fingers unless i will be sweeping or slicking the hair, then a comb with a handle. speaking of which do any of you know good combs that won't break with ease?
08-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I use fingers, and, if you have curly hair, you should be using your fingers too! (or at least a wide-tooth comb if you need some further shaping)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
08-28-2013, 07:14 AM
If I want messy hair, I will use my fingers and mess it all up, but if I want a pompadour, I use a comb.
01-12-2014, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 06:32 AM by titanic.)
Since I use a slicked back style with parting, I use a comb.
But i think maybe it's too formal to comb them all the time (although I like the result more).
So, maybe I should start using my fingers for a more relaxed-everyday look.

Have never used a brush though!
01-13-2014, 04:24 AM
I use a round brush for volume (probably does my fine hair no good), and fingers for finishing the style.
01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Fingers, enough said. xD
But I'll use a comb when I'll start doing stuff like this Tongue
[Image: 5344-big.jpg]
01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
WOw! That is a great haircut!
01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Definitely fingers
01-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Fingers & Comb
01-28-2014, 12:53 PM
I use my fingers or my comb in different situations, if it is like a messy hairstyle use a comb, if it is a formal style with the hair with pomade then it is a comb to use.
So yes fingers for messy hair styles and more casual styles then yes to a comb for formal styles like for the office for example.
02-05-2014, 12:16 AM
I have long hair. So there is need to use comb.
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I've just been going with fingers and hair dryer recently, seems to work out for me a lot better. But when my hair grows long enough for quiffs I'll definitely be using the aid of my comb in addition.
03-22-2014, 07:56 AM
I use fingers, the comb creates too regular hairstyle
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah fingers can help shape it better whereas comb how you say, shapes it to one direction all at same time or additional hairs you don't want to shape that side
04-24-2014, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 06:58 AM by AD120790.)
Lately I've been using the aid of a roller brush along with my fingers. Gets those pompadours going nicely Wink
04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Comb is the only way I will go! Have always used a comb.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to Style a Messy Pompadour? grants041 0 55 11-30-2016 07:45 PM
Last Post: grants041
  How would you label this style? (Ben Mckenzie - Gotham) Gwame 1 1,028 05-02-2016 11:36 AM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Advice please: How to style long hair like this (with reference photo) stbay1217 2 1,143 12-10-2015 05:56 AM
Last Post: tonymacroni
  Problem With Brush-Up Hairstyle GoodHair 7 7,763 04-07-2014 04:16 PM
Last Post: Machado