Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloring gray hair dye for men?
12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Coloring gray hair dye for men?
Well it looks like i've become the answering machine for my family issues with hair so this next question is about men coloring gray hair. Trusting the experts or regular members to have some answers for coloring gray hairs or any gray hair dye for men like those in the ads cause i have no clue Big Grin
Not for me as i've yet to lose my afro but for some uncle of mine. Sorry for the persistent questions. I think i will start handing out business cards for this forum if people continue to ask me questions and tell them to search the funk out of the forum lol

Hope some of you can help out with how to treat gray hair or what to use.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: Coloring gray hair dye for men?
Some people believe that if you are going gray then you should let it happen, but obviously, that's not for every guy out there.

The problem is that dyeing gray hair can be a bit tricky, particularly if you have never done it before. Below is a guide that can help you to decide what type of dye is for you and how to dye your hair.

Which dye should I use?

The dye you will need will depend on the amount of gray hair you have. Just eyeball the amount of gray hair you have in the head.
  • Up to 20%
If you only have a small amount of gray hair, a semi permanent dye will be the best option. It is much more gentle on the hair than a permanent dye and it will blend naturally with the rest of your hair. They only last a short while (between six to eight shampoos) but they will be much kinder to your hair.

If your hair is damaged, the dye will last longer as the hair becomes more porous allowing greater penetration of the follicles.
  • Up to 50%
You can either use a permanent dye or a longer lasting semi-permanent dye. I recommend a longer lasting semi-permanent dye as these contain a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, but they do not contain any ammonia. These will penetrate the hair a little, but not as much as a permanent dye. These last on average 24 washes.
  • Over 70%
The only products that can tackle this amount of gray are permanent dyes, they are slightly harsher on the hair, but they penetrate deeper rather than just coating the hair, so the result is permanent. If you get a good-quality hair dye, they contain ingredients that are kinder to the hair and they do not fade, the only way to remove the color is to strip it (which I do not recommend) or dye over it. As the dye will grow out, when you need to tackle any root re-growth, you can simply dye the roots, although many people re-do the whole head, it's a personal choice but re-touching only the roots will minimize damage to the hair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Henna for hair coloring, benefits and disadvantages? Freddie 2 4,600 07-16-2015 11:12 PM
Last Post: cyaninja
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,227 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Hair coloring at home and problems with hair dye box use? Robert 2 1,488 12-10-2014 10:49 AM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber