Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coconut Butter
01-16-2014, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:00 PM by Javon.)
Coconut Butter
I just used the coconut butter and my hair feels amazing -- noticed an instant change in the way my hair feels! I haven't tried it on my curls, because I have my hair picked out, my hair feels way softer and extra, super moisturized -- it's really amazing and smells so good. Can't wait to try it on my curls! Does anyone have any tips for using it or for getting the best results -- how should I use and apply to my curls (also how much)? Does it matter if I leave the jar out? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2014, 04:12 AM
RE: Coconut Butter
I told you! Big Grin Coconut butter is awesome for curly hair.

The main tip is to start small and then test which amounts do best for your hair. If you do too much coconut butter, you will notice it as your hair will become hard, crunchy and greasy to the touch. Start with 1 fingertip and work your way up.

Melt the coconut butter in your hands, then coat your fingers with it, and then use your fingers to apply the coconut butter to the 2 half of the length of your curls. So basically, from mid-length right till the tips. You can start with only applying it to the tips though, and then go deeper in the hair. But never get it on your scalp or close to the scalp as it will mix with your own scalp sebum and your hair will get greasy fast!

Whenever you want to get the coconut butter out fully, use a sulfate shampoo (this moisturizing shampoo is soft enough to use or get any regular shampoo from the supermarket). If you don't want it out and provided you are using a good amount to keep your hair soft and smooth, then your own fingers during showering will help to remove some of the coconut butter.

Are you using raw and organic coconut butter like the one I suggested in another thread or are are you using a more refined coconut butter like the ones in supermarkets? Ideally you want the raw/organic one but just about any cooking coconut butter will do for now so long as it is pure coconut butter (i.e. for cooking) Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-17-2014, 07:08 AM
(01-17-2014 04:12 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I told you! Big Grin Coconut butter is awesome for curly hair.

The main tip is to start small and then test which amounts do best for your hair. If you do too much coconut butter, you will notice it as your hair will become hard, crunchy and greasy to the touch. Start with 1 fingertip and work your way up.

Melt the coconut butter in your hands, then coat your fingers with it, and then use your fingers to apply the coconut butter to the 2 half of the length of your curls. So basically, from mid-length right till the tips. You can start with only applying it to the tips though, and then go deeper in the hair. But never get it on your scalp or close to the scalp as it will mix with your own scalp sebum and your hair will get greasy fast!

Whenever you want to get the coconut butter out fully, use a sulfate shampoo (this moisturizing shampoo is soft enough to use or get any regular shampoo from the supermarket). If you don't want it out and provided you are using a good amount to keep your hair soft and smooth, then your own fingers during showering will help to remove some of the coconut butter.

Are you using raw and organic coconut butter like the one I suggested in another thread or are are you using a more refined coconut butter like the ones in supermarkets? Ideally you want the raw/organic one but just about any cooking coconut butter will do for now so long as it is pure coconut butter (i.e. for cooking) Smile

I got the one you suggested to me on amazon.
01-17-2014, 08:08 AM
(01-17-2014 07:08 AM)Javon Wrote:  
(01-17-2014 04:12 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I told you! Big Grin Coconut butter is awesome for curly hair.

Great, that's the one quite a few of us in the forum use. And you can use it to cook provided you scoop the coconut butter with spoon when you're using it on your hair.

I just saw you mentioned if the jar can be left out. Try to keep it as you'd do with any other food, keep it in the kitchen and not in the bathroom as it's too humid in the bathroom. Don't put the coconut better in the fridge either Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-17-2014, 10:41 AM
(01-17-2014 08:08 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(01-17-2014 07:08 AM)Javon Wrote:  

Great, that's the one quite a few of us in the forum use. And you can use it to cook provided you scoop the coconut butter with spoon when you're using it on your hair.

I just saw you mentioned if the jar can be left out. Try to keep it as you'd do with any other food, keep it in the kitchen and not in the bathroom as it's too humid in the bathroom. Don't put the coconut better in the fridge either Smile
Ok, gotcha! Thanks, man!Big Grin
01-23-2014, 05:07 AM
Coconut butter is the best for my hair
02-08-2014, 11:49 AM
I was actually wondering about how much of this to use. I have used a leave-in conditioner--my hair is wavy--and when I use too little my hair still looks frizzy and then when I use a significant amount it takes a while for it to dry. I don't know; it may look greasy but it certainly is a lot more manageable especially since I have to walk to work for the time being (I live in Europe so...). So this question is about the AMOUNT.

Next question is about only applying it to the BOTTOM HALF of the hair strand. Is this enough? Won't this leave the top half of the strand frizzy and un-moisturized?

Thanks for answers and advice!! I've been using the leave-in conditioner for a while and it's pretty essential for my hair reaching shoulder length. Is the Coconut Butter different consistency?
02-08-2014, 12:46 PM
(02-08-2014 11:49 AM)carterholmes2 Wrote:  I was actually wondering about how much of this to use. I have used a leave-in conditioner--my hair is wavy--and when I use too little my hair still looks frizzy and then when I use a significant amount it takes a while for it to dry. I don't know; it may look greasy but it certainly is a lot more manageable especially since I have to walk to work for the time being (I live in Europe so...). So this question is about the AMOUNT.

Next question is about only applying it to the BOTTOM HALF of the hair strand. Is this enough? Won't this leave the top half of the strand frizzy and un-moisturized?

Thanks for answers and advice!! I've been using the leave-in conditioner for a while and it's pretty essential for my hair reaching shoulder length. Is the Coconut Butter different consistency?

While Amazon offers the best place to get high-quality pure and raw coconut butter, you can still go to the supermarket and pick up a jar of "cooking" coconut butter. Make sure it is butter and not oil, the texture should be hard, harder than regular milk butter. Good coconut butter actually feels like candle wax especially when stored at room temperature, but it is very easy to melt it with your fingers by rubbing your hands together. You can also put some of it in the oven for 20 seconds or so to quickly melt it.

For the amount of coconut butter to use, start with an amount equivalent to the fingertip of your index finger. Then slowly (as in every couple of days) increase the amount. It will depend on your hair length and hair type, although wavy hair with short length (less than 2 inches), one fingertip should be enough.

And NO! never apply hair products to the bottom section of the hair strand.shaft Smile This is a classic mistake and it is very important not to do it specially if you are using oils or butters for your hair! Only apply it to the upper half of the hair strand, so from the middle to the tip. This is a great tip that will help you avoid getting your hair greasy, which will happen very fast if you use coconut butter and put it close to the scalp as you mentioned!

I recommend you to pick up a copy of The Men's Hair Book in Amazon as Rogelio goes through the whole cleaning, conditioning and styling process of men's hair (and covers a lot more useful stuff on male hair too). The book is golden as it actually explains everything to do with your hair and in a lot of detail so it's an actual reference book. He tells you to never apply hair products close to the scalp as your sebum, which is an oil your follicles secrete daily, are already coating the section of the hair strands closest to the scalp, so by coating these section with additional products you will be getting lots of issues with greasy hair, dandruff, frizzy hair etc Smile Rogelio explains in the book his No Shampoo system where you use your sebum to improve your hair and with your sebum alone you can cut down your use of hair products by half easily, so it's in your interest to be also using your own sebum (hey, it's free! LOL)

02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I remember when I damaged my hair from a keratin treatment gone wrong haha I used coconut butter everyday and it worked wonders. My hair is now back to the way it always was.. Just wanted to share my experience with coconut butter. Same with coconut oil, it worked great after I damaged my hair.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Coconut oil + Tea tree oil Jonny 10 3,320 10-04-2014 10:33 PM
Last Post: buddhaseeking