Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Classic Mens Hairstyles: Hair Styles from the 1950s and earlier
04-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Classic Mens Hairstyles: Hair Styles from the 1950s and earlier
Mens hairstyles in the 1950s and earlier were very simple styles: they were done with pomade and either middle/side parted or slicked back. I have gone through a collection of black and white pictures of hairstyles from the 1950s and earlier, as early as the late 19th century, to show you folks how men used to style their hair 100 years ago! Big Grin

We already have a classic men hairstyles guide here in Men's Hair Forum, but we want to dedicate this guide to the very old-school vintage styles that were limited to the middle part, side part and slicked back. Many of these pictures are from men who fought in the First World War and Second World War, and you can see that, already 100 years ago, military men wore short slicked haircuts like Undercuts and Regulations cuts to ensure that their hair didn't become a liability in battle. While the Undercut and all its variants may be present-day trendy hairstyles for men, these styles were already there many decades ago and they were being used as functional battle-ready hairstyles!

Side part

The side part was the flagship hairstyle of the early 20th century for men. Pomades made of boar far and mineral oil were used to slick the hair heavily, leaving it as flat as possible and thus tuning the side part into a side swept.

A solid comb is the ultimate tool for parting hair, and you should not just be using any regular comb. If you want to get an epic side part/swept like the ones in the pictures below, then get this men's comb.

[Image: nXsxUPz.jpg]

[Image: bJvq3J0.jpg]

[Image: Hbm21yM.jpg]

[Image: ggHNB3L.jpg]

[Image: opj5Q6y.jpg]

[Image: 8PYrW8v.jpg]

[Image: 5eDj3Uh.jpg]

[Image: mzRPhAT.jpg]

[Image: kskbcDp.jpg]

[Image: GqKJ4p9.jpg]

[Image: 095ysFW.jpg]

[Image: 51guQZZ.jpg]

[Image: asg8DaI.jpg]

[Image: K9ouLkU.jpg]

GUIDE CONTINUES BELOW

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: Classic Mens Hairstyles: Hair Styles from the 1950s and earlier
Middle part with undercut

The middle part with the Undercut was a popular military haircut. German soldiers were known for using the Undercut and slicking their hair to the side or at the middle. The first picture below is an epic picture of a German military officer during World War One.

[Image: uKNha5z.jpg]

[Image: pKTP10C.jpg]

[Image: rilTJeH.jpg]

Slicked back hair

From the 1930s to the 1950s, slicked back hair was all the rage. Men would prefer to slicked their hair back as opposed to side parts, which were deemed as "passe" since they were regarded as hairstyles of the old men of the 1910s and 1920s Big Grin

Men with the curliest of hair would try to slick their hair back no matter what, and a pomade that worked really well for this kind of slicking was this old-school pomade.

[Image: th6JcXX.jpg]

[Image: 7cD0UAJ.jpg]

[Image: CSt7ZMP.jpg]

[Image: NJTqb1S.jpg]

[Image: TZbKMhC.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-13-2014, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 01:39 PM by Machado.)
So that is where all these pomade hairstyles came from huh lol
Those dudes really had it for flattening their hair kinda obsessed to be honest. No hints of some shaggy hairstyles right there or some Justin Bieber mop top styles Big Grin i remember seeing pictures of really old relatives of mine from the twenties and all of them had the same hair while the women had these really curly styles that i think they did it with hardcore curling irons that if you touched you would get an electric shock!
The one thing i find awkward in these pics is the look some of these guys had that they had either returned from war or where going to war... you can tell they were scared like hell in some of them.
04-16-2014, 09:43 PM
When I think of 50s hairstyles, I think of Greasers Big Grin
04-17-2014, 03:31 PM
(04-13-2014 01:39 PM)Machado Wrote:  The one thing i find awkward in these pics is the look some of these guys had that they had either returned from war or where going to war... you can tell they were scared like hell in some of them.

Actually, when I was compiling all these pictures from several journals and other sources, some of the descriptions/captions of the pictures did in fact mention that some of the men illustrated were civilians who were either about to be transferred to the battlefield as soldiers or they were soldiers who had come back but where about to go back to the battlefield again. All those pictures were from the First World War, which was an atrocious and blood-thirsty war (not that no war is atrocious and blood thirsty, but WWI was the first huge-scale war and the weapons used were devastating).

(04-16-2014 09:43 PM)herehair Wrote:  When I think of 50s hairstyles, I think of Greasers Big Grin

I am actually compiling a set of old-school pictures of Greasers and Rockabillies from the 1950s and early 1960s. The problem is that it is not easy finding pictures of that era in good quality and clearly showcasing the different mens hairstyles like pompadours and duck's tails. Only the young men at the time wore the typical greaser hairstyles, which makes the digging out of good pictures of this nature a bit of a task. I have posted some pictures of men in the 1950s in this very thread, but the pictures represent the more slicked back hair style of the mid 20th century that was so popular with middle-aged men.

I/we have also posted pictures of men in the 1950s (with the era's hairstyles) all around the forum in different hairstyle guides and threads, but I will be soon creating a thread where we can see those hairstyles in real 1950s action (especially since, nowadays, all modern pompadours seem to be too bastardized Big Grin).

04-17-2014, 09:22 PM
(04-17-2014 03:31 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-13-2014 01:39 PM)Machado Wrote:  The one thing i find awkward in these pics is the look some of these guys had that they had either returned from war or where going to war... you can tell they were scared like hell in some of them.

Actually, when I was compiling all these pictures from several journals and other sources, some of the descriptions/captions of the pictures did in fact mention that some of the men illustrated were civilians who were either about to be transferred to the battlefield as soldiers or they were soldiers who had come back but where about to go back to the battlefield again. All those pictures were from the First World War, which was an atrocious and blood-thirsty war (not that no war is atrocious and blood thirsty, but WWI was the first huge-scale war and the weapons used were devastating).

(04-16-2014 09:43 PM)herehair Wrote:  When I think of 50s hairstyles, I think of Greasers Big Grin

I am actually compiling a set of old-school pictures of Greasers and Rockabillies from the 1950s and early 1960s. The problem is that it is not easy finding pictures of that era in good quality and clearly showcasing the different mens hairstyles like pompadours and duck's tails. Only the young men at the time wore the typical greaser hairstyles, which makes the digging out of good pictures of this nature a bit of a task. I have posted some pictures of men in the 1950s in this very thread, but the pictures represent the more slicked back hair style of the mid 20th century that was so popular with middle-aged men.

I/we have also posted pictures of men in the 1950s (with the era's hairstyles) all around the forum in different hairstyle guides and threads, but I will be soon creating a thread where we can see those hairstyles in real 1950s action (especially since, nowadays, all em to be too bastardized Big Grin).

I've actually tried looking round for Greaser hairstyles to in the 50's yet can't really find authenic images demonstrating how it's meant to be done, the pics in this thread are good but they don't display are you said the youths of the 1950's
05-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Joseph Stalin hairstyles

Well, going through the young Stalin hairstyle thread I posted pictures of Stalin's slicked back hair as well as pictures of his side swept style which was very popular at the start of the 20th century, as you have all been able to see in this thread.

I will first post the picture of a young Stalin's hairstyle (side swept), and then the rest of pictures are of the slick back hair of Joseph Stalin. All pictures are pre-1950.

[Image: joseph-stalin-1894-jpg.jpg]

[Image: 1376019-stalin4.jpg]

[Image: AqV9Nw1.jpg]

[Image: MTE5NTU2MzE2Mzc0NDY4MTA3.jpg]

[Image: joseph-stalin-AB.jpeg]

05-12-2014, 12:23 PM
These below are 2 interesting pictures of a young Richard Nixon in the year 1950. At the time, Richard Nixon's hair was styled in a classic slick back which was so common in the preceding decades. By the 1960s, the slick back started to lose its popularity, but still in 1950, the slick back remained as the hairstyle of choice for those men who wanted to be regarded as professional and serious. Even among men with curly hair as were the locks of Richard Nixon, the slick back remained popular even though these men had to pull back their hair hard to flatten the curly hair, in some cases leading to traction alopecia as experienced when tying hair too tight into ponytails or braids (for example)!

In the two pictures below of Richard Nixon's slicked back hairstyle, he is running for Senate and thus the professional image he exudes.

[Image: 481px-Nixon_campaigns_in_Sausalito_1950.jpg]

[Image: Richard_Nixon_campaigning_for_Senate_1950.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Peter Lorre
Like Richard Nixon, Peter Lorre also had curly hair but instead Peter Lorre would style a side swept for his curly hair. The result was pretty good as Peter Lorre & many other curly male celebrities would slick their hair with this oil pomade.
Last picture is Peter Lorre's curly hair without styling. The rest of pictures are of his side swept hairstyle with the oil pomade in the link above. Big hairstyle change!

[Image: 1232689_original.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre_3.jpg]

[Image: _1389050169_cover.jpg]

[Image: leOcf3X.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre-1938-everett.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre.jpg]

[Image: lorre-falcon.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m6libwW7Re1qakh43o1_500.jpg]

Humphrey Bogart
Humphrey Bogart was known for his slicked back hairstyle for his wavy hair & side parts & side swept styles - the usual for that time Big Grin

[Image: humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey_bogart.jpg]

[Image: th_th_29950_hb_122_208lo.jpg]

[Image: 3_humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey-bogart-quotes]

[Image: tumblr_lfpm9gEAp21qd1zjj.jpg]

[Image: Bogart.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdwq428EVs1r0a4hso1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m457lsZ9Vr1qcay1ao1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mbicn2h8TT1r0a4hso1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lpqrku1SQE1qg7ocuo1_500.png]

[Image: Humphrey_Bogart_in_Dark_Victory_trailer.jpg]
10-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Really cool thread! Do you know of any classic/traditional haircuts that are more casual/messy/tousled?
10-28-2014, 12:41 PM
(10-28-2014 12:36 PM)merrickbalsam Wrote:  Really cool thread! Do you know of any classic/traditional haircuts that are more casual/messy/tousled?

In for this. With curly hair the classic hairstyles won't look so classic cause of the hair bumps. I imagine a side part for curly hair would fall under a more casual classic hairstyle?
10-28-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 01:34 PM by merrickbalsam.)
(10-28-2014 12:41 PM)Robert Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 12:36 PM)merrickbalsam Wrote:  Really cool thread! Do you know of any classic/traditional haircuts that are more casual/messy/tousled?

In for this. With curly hair the classic hairstyles won't look so classic cause of the hair bumps. I imagine a side part for curly hair would fall under a more casual classic hairstyle?

I am asking for the same reason, not because I have curly hair but because I have some waves and severe cowlicks that make side-parting and other "neat" styles hard to pull off.
10-29-2014, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the great guide
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 262 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Heart How Good Wedding Hair Styles Make You Look Smarter? hair-style 5 479 08-19-2016 12:25 AM
Last Post: Cloud
  Hair Styles for Short, Wavy Hair TimothyClayton 0 387 05-20-2016 06:40 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  How to get classic side part hairstyle with taper haircut Petarot100 0 622 04-16-2016 09:04 AM
Last Post: Petarot100