Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die
04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Thumbs Up Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die
The following is a guide on all the classic hairstyles for men. From slicked back hair to the Undercut, modern mens hairstyles may have evolved but the old-school styles will forever remain as a great hairstyling option for males who want a classic and polished look.

Slicked back hair

One of the most classic of looks for males is when having slicked back hair (full guide on this hairstyle is in the link). Even more interesting is the fact that there are two types of slicking that we have named in this forum: the classic slick and the modern slick. As the name suggest, the classic slick is the kind of look you'd be wanting to emulate to look like an old-school dandy.

The slick back can also be parted to create a side part slicked back, which was typical of Hollywood actors of the 1950s. For the classic slick as shown in the pictures below, you want to own a high quality pomade with a strong hold, slick and with some shine, and for those requirements, this specific pomade kills it and the linked pomade is even easy to wash off the hair (which most strong-hold pomades are a pain in the backside to remove!).

[Image: george-brent-16-sized.jpg]

[Image: George_Brent_1-M-2004.jpg]

[Image: OCLJEwQ.jpg]

[Image: h3T8nJ2.jpg]

Side part

The side part is the foundation to most classic looks for men. The the parting line can be placed at either the left or right temple, although in some countries, wearing a parted line on your right temple (i.e. hair parted to the left) is considered as a hint to being a homosexual (mainly in Latin countries). Regardless of where you place the part, the side part is an excellent mens hairstyle. Furthermore, a quiff can be created on the forelock while still keeping the gentleman look (see last picture).

A good water soluble pomade will do very well for the classic side part, and we highly recommend this water soluble pomade for side parts and other classic styles as it has a strong hold and gives a slight wet effect unlike the shine given by the pomade recommended above for the slicked back hair style (although it's a good idea to own both pomades as you certainly can use the recommended pomade for the side part on slicked back hair, and viceversa).

[Image: 800px-North_by_Northwest_movie_trailer_s...812%29.jpg]

[Image: Robert-Redford.jpg]

[Image: FdtbrLa.jpg]

[Image: fek44AD.jpg]

Side swept

The side swept is like the side part only that the hair is parted flat on the head with pomade in the side swept, similar to how in the classic slick back, the hair is slicked flat on the head. Can't go wrong as a classic mens hairstyle with the side swept.

The product to use would be the same pomade recommended above for the classic slicked back hair since the side swept should be evenly distributed in terms of direction and shape of the hair, a requirement that is not as strict in the regular side part.

An example of the side swept is the Gatsby hairstyle of both Robert Redford and Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby.

[Image: ent-now-16x9.gif]

[Image: Il_Grande_Gatsby.jpg]

[Image: 6654868423_4abde8f547_z.jpg]

[Image: 475b0cdda09eb9f492086ca30b10fefc.jpg]

[Image: the-great-gatsby-1974-mia-farrow-robert-redford.jpg]

[Image: Carr1.jpg]

Businessman cut

The businessman cut (aka businessmen haircut) is a full look that was created in the mid-21st century to accommodate the increase in corporations and men in managerial roles wearing suits. The businessman cut is done with a gradual taper haircut on the sides and back of the head while the hair on the top of the head is parted to the side, not too flat nor too high.

The businessman haircut is not only a classic style for men but also a neat and professional haircut. A pomade like the one recommended earlier for the side part of a hair mousse product like this styling mousse are great products for the businessman style.

[Image: 1330361_orig.jpg]

[Image: 6bf36277e43bb403907c6a90fd5aa6ea.jpg]

[Image: officex-large.jpg]

[Image: 3a334320fae668ffb27b104eaf2382df.jpg]

Ivy League

The Ivy League is similar to the businessman cut in that the Ivy League is a haircut but also a hairstyle (for most of the time). The haircut of the Ivy league is a fast and short taper cut on the sides and back of the head while the top of the head is scissor trimmed to no longer than 2 inches.

The trick with the Ivy League haircut is that the hair on the front (i.e. forelock) is slightly longer than the hair at the crown, which means that the hair is tapered backwards in length from the forelock to the crown, and these same hair cutting instructions are used on all the male hair types, so straight hair and curly hair will be cut with the same goal. The hair in the Ivy League is styled to the side in a combover/side part and usually the hair on the front is left in a small quiff.

Alternatively, a shaggy Ivy League can also be styled in the likes of Gerard Pique but a shag (i.e. shaggy style) will not give you a classic look compared to a side part when talking of an Ivy League.

[Image: Xabi+Alonso+Presents+Success+Beyond+Game...ACzGsl.jpg]

[Image: 45902.jpg]

[Image: xabi2.jpg]

Crew Cut

The crew cut is the shorter version of the Ivy League. In the short haircut for the crew cut, the hair is completely done with a hair clipper (except for the forelock) and, just like in the Ivy League, the hair on the front (i.e. forelock) is left slightly longer than the rest of the hair on the top of the head.

The crew cut is a popular haircut with military men and especially with Marines. Because the hair is clipped very short like with any of the other types of buzz cuts, a high quality hair clipper is needed that can withstand all kinds of uses and buzz through the thickest of manes.

If you're interested in such a high quality hair clipper, whether for giving yourself a crew cut or any other type of buzz cut (or just play around with the clipper on your hair), then we highly recommend you to get this cordless hair clipper that has the most powerful of motors and comes with everything equipped in a kit and a neat hard case for carrying it out around!

[Image: 19fc39321f2be7283332c44104d86e99.jpg]

[Image: 313px-Crew_Cut_Marine_Lieutenant_wins_Al...onship.jpg]

[Image: 589e08b226d85c1d9bac2b145a42bb06.jpg]

[Image: 517px-Channing_Tatum%2C_Jenna_Dewan_2012.jpg]

Undercut

Even though the Undercut has been for a couple of years now a trendy mens hairstyle for its aesthetics and modern looks, the Undercut is in fact a classic style. Moreover, the Undercut in itself is a haircut (a simple bowl haircut) where the sides and back of the head are clipped with the same clipper length, leaving the hair on the top of the head with more than 2 inches of length. The Undercut is very easy to you by yourself with a high quality hair clipper, so have a look at our Undercut tutorial and get the excellent heavy-duty cordless hair clipper I've recommended above for the crew cut to start giving yourself epic Undercuts!

With regards to styling the Undercut, what is known as the Undercut hairstyle is a side swept style for the hair on the top of the head. The hair is either swept perpendicular to the parted line or at an angle, but the hair should be laying relatively flat and slicked with a good pomade as per a regular side swept as described earlier in this guide (so use the pomade recommended for the slick back and side swept).

Lastly, make sure that you own The Men's Hair Book, an epic style book for men that has all the knowledge and lessons you need to master your hair and be able to style it in any shape or manner you want. Since the book will teach you how to build your own hair grooming an styling routine, The Men's Hair Book is truly the best reading you can do for the classic mens hairstyles, and you can get The Men's Hair Book in bookstores across the United States or in the book's Amazon page Wink

Pictures of the Undercut

[Image: 0cc273be7c2eaf9b52263de447458aee.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mddsotiNDr1rdruzpo1_500.jpg]

[Image: BE-Jimmy-Darmody.jpg]

[Image: 25e2b4c55b7914e4cfbe201a87b2041f.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 05:44 PM
RE: Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die
The look of a real gentleman will never die & that is why hairstyles like these ones in the guide will always be worn by a % of the population. We already have in the forum some good guides for the classic look & all the hairstyles of the previous decades but this one guide puts the icing on the cake!

- Slicked back hair: a winner all the time. Suit + slicked back hair, bingo.
- The old undercut hairstyle was awesome but today people are taking it too far with buzzing the inside of the hair. The other day I saw a guy with slicked back hair & undercut, well... that is how he looked. But the reality is he let the front grow really long & buzzed the rest of his head so the huge quiff when slicked back was covering his head like in a regular undercut Lmao too extreme, come on you are moving into mohawk territory with a haircut like that! good thing we have our mega popular undercut hairstyle tutorial to guide guys with getting their undercuts right Smile

The side part, or side swept or combover or whatever. Great mens hairstyle foundation. In the early twentyeth century you had three 'looks': slicked back, parted to the side or parted in the middle lol you never would catch a man with shaggy-messy-gross hair. They took pride in how they looked even if all they could buy was the pig lard to use for slicking their hair Big Grin
Another one of those epic guides created by TheMensHairForum!
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
RE: Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die
I think the side part is like the big daddy of all men hairstyles. From their everything is possible but if you think about it the scruff hair of the 19th century turned around with the side part and the intro to pomade for hairstyling. So men in cities would part their hair as a sign of elitism. Well kinda. But the goal was to separate themselves from the people who could not afford hair products to part the hair.
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
A celebrity dude that knows how to pull the classic look with side parts and slicked backs is Alexander Skarsgard. He, for the most part, wears classic parted styles for his straight hair and knows how to accentuate the whole look with a great wardrobe. Pictures below of Alexander Skarsgard's hairstyles

Side Part of Alexander Skarsgard

As said, a standard classic side part. Some pictures are from Alexander Skarsgard's side part thread Smile

[Image: mk49HZw.jpg]

[Image: 439px-Alexander_Skarsg%C3%A5rd_WonderCon_2012.jpg]

[Image: alexander-skarsgard-summer-television-critics-09.jpg]

[Image: alexander-skarsgard-brit-marling-talks-t...nes-03.jpg]

[Image: alexander-skarsgard-true-blood-ew-interviews.jpg]

[Image: alexander-skarsgard-golden-globes-2010-r...pet-04.jpg]

[Image: Alexander%20Skarsgard-Pictures.jpg]

Some other pictures of the side part

First picture done with a high fade similar to a military Regulation Cut!

[Image: b3dbc511ca01093bb6b250be30db3800.jpg]

[Image: 7e1130ce58f2ecd9b2d2c21a7a256367.jpg]

[Image: 77683d27d333c915dae128f33d5ef283.jpg]

[Image: 775d8cef955299dc3a83c01d82ce1cb4.jpg]

Slicked back hair of Alexander Skarsgard

A good attempt at a classic slicked back hair style, although the volume of his style in the picture is more of a modern slick than a classic slick. but still, the slick is very regular and even, which takes some skill to get it just right!

[Image: UhMasTS.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Im surprised theres no pics of Matt Bomer. I think thats a great example for the side part/ side swept with more length
04-21-2014, 07:05 AM
(04-20-2014 11:42 PM)Casheddie Wrote:  Im surprised theres no pics of Matt Bomer. I think thats a great example for the side part/ side swept with more length

By default forum members are encouraged to add their own contributions on the hairstyle guides as posting all examples of celebrities with each single hairstyle on the 1st post would be very tiring for the person starting the guide Smile
With your post count you still can't post images but I am sure if you ask any of the mods to add pictures in your contributions they will let you post with your post count.

Even tho the posted side part styles of Alexander Skarsgard, Robert Redford and Cary Grant are one hell of a set of A-list male actors, I am going to also add Matt Bomer's side part hairstyle below as I also agree he really rocks a classic side part!

[Image: tumblr_m698bx280d1qhznkbo4_1280.jpg]

[Image: untitled1.jpg]

[Image: matt_bomer_85.jpg]

[Image: 414px-6.7.11MattBomerByLuigiNovi1.jpg]

[Image: Matt-bomer-spirit-awards-2012-15.jpg]
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
(04-21-2014 07:05 AM)Bradley Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 11:42 PM)Casheddie Wrote:  Im surprised theres no pics of Matt Bomer. I think thats a great example for the side part/ side swept with more length

By default forum members are encouraged to add their own contributions on the hairstyle guides as posting all examples of celebrities with each single hairstyle on the 1st post would be very tiring for the person starting the guide Smile
With your post count you still can't post images but I am sure if you ask any of the mods to add pictures in your contributions they will let you post with your post count.

Even tho the posted side part styles of Alexander Skarsgard, Robert Redford and Cary Grant are one hell of a set of A-list male actors, I am going to also add Matt Bomer's side part hairstyle below as I also agree he really rocks a classic side part!

Bradley is correct. We encourage everyone to discuss & even mention their favourite male references for mens hairstyles. So it is good you mentioned Matt Bomer as he wears a great side part. I was planning some time this early week to post a guide of his hairstyles but I read this thread & decided to go ahead even tho we have lots of references of the side part & classic looks in many other guides in this forum.

Brad, I 'borrowed' a couple of your hairstyles pictures of the side part in my Matt Bomer hairstyles and haircuts guide with lots of classic hairstyles & not just the side part itself Smile Matt Bomer even got at some point a crew cut haircut which I also posted pictures of in the guide Lol
04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
times are changing but I do agree with all you guys that we have to preserve these styles. Good thing about having so much information in this forum is that we can hop into different styles with in the same day so as for myself there will be days where I keep the dapper old timer look.

What I have always found interesting has been how the pomades in those days, talking of anything before the fifties were all greasy pomades and still the use of shampoo was not as generic as it is today. What did these guys clean their hair with? any one know?
06-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Side part of Gregory Peck
Gregory Peck was a Hollywood actor known for his side parted & side swept hairstyles.

[Image: 476px-Gregory_Peck_1948.jpg]

[Image: gregorypeckwl8-1.jpg]

[Image: Gregory_Peck_in_Designing_Woman_trailer.jpg]

[Image: article-0-1194C70B000005DC-595_306x408.jpg]

Peter Lorre side slicking curly hair
Peter Lorre was another Hollywood actor who has curly hair & who would sweep & slick his curly hair to the side. To do this tho, a strong hold oil pomade is needed like this oil pomade. Last 2 pictures of his curly hair without styling - big difference when slicking with this oil based pomade!

[Image: 1232689_original.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre_3.jpg]

[Image: _1389050169_cover.jpg]

[Image: leOcf3X.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre.jpg]

[Image: peter-lorre-1938-everett.jpg]

[Image: peter_lorre.jpg]

[Image: lorre-falcon.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m6libwW7Re1qakh43o1_500.jpg]

Slicked back hair of Humphrey Bogart
Humphrey Bogart had curly hair too & he liked his slicked back hairstyles a lot. He would also sometimes do side parts & sweep his hair flat - again using the same oil based pomade above as Peter Lorre.

[Image: humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey_bogart.jpg]

[Image: th_th_29950_hb_122_208lo.jpg]

[Image: 3_humphrey-bogart.jpg]

[Image: humphrey-bogart-quotes]

[Image: tumblr_lfpm9gEAp21qd1zjj.jpg]

[Image: Bogart.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdwq428EVs1r0a4hso1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m457lsZ9Vr1qcay1ao1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mbicn2h8TT1r0a4hso1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lpqrku1SQE1qg7ocuo1_500.png]

[Image: Humphrey_Bogart_in_Dark_Victory_trailer.jpg]
07-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Slicked back hair

A bit of pomade and a good men's comb! Smile Justin Theroux's beard featured in the pics Big Grin

[Image: article-2042370-0E1AB29400000578-345_306x573.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lk9jngWkDO1qbdkbo.jpg]

[Image: JustinTheroux.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_l855bnNTrW1qa42jro1_500.jpg]

[Image: article-0-1487B52F000005DC-803_638x592.jpg]

Side swept

Classic flat style for a classic look. Also starring Justin Theroux LOL

[Image: j3WJ9vA.jpg]

07-19-2014, 07:52 AM
classic hairstyles are the best! I love that last one in the side part section.
09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Classic slicked hairstyles.
Some more side swept hairstyles. Hair lays flat and tightly combed. Hair product is an oil-based pomade. Good times.

Most of the hairstyle pictures are from Boardwalk Empire. I did a featured post on Jimmy Darmody's haircut aka slicked back Undercut, so I also found qite a few pictures of other characters in the series like Steve Buscemi who too wear classic hairstyles in the series (after all, Boardwalk Empire is based in the 1920s).

[Image: fdf1bd57e6912dbaf465ee00fe1372b0.jpg]

[Image: 44bfbdf95e26dc4ce958b378f9fbf70e.jpg]

[Image: c142e3cdd5dfe5c5446688a985921071.jpg]

[Image: b4560f0640a57277068ec6f8517b657f.jpg]

[Image: 593c605b75b51c18c537582c2a3a4385.jpg]

[Image: 4aabacf3bf71d54a4b3b85748b957c5f.jpg]

[Image: 2840d5058f8b7ff5f5593030515c755d.jpg]

[Image: 573d8fd51ae8b07e086c16c1278a17b5.jpg]

[Image: 54bd00a4d04f52d49c18a82fddfe9d57.jpg]

[Image: a1feb6a7bc13e90ca13bfc187fced27d.jpg]

[Image: 916cd6e802074304106e4612e40b16ea.jpg]

[Image: 963f3efd7a7acf38190637e0fd361eb0.jpg]

[Image: 5052827f8f0fbc48a78dc1cee6112626.jpg]

[Image: 881788b55b3119acd7f99bac021fb129.jpg]

09-11-2014, 01:18 AM
wondering if this hairstyle would OK good on perhaps a far east asian?
12-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Cary Grant hairstyles.
Here are some more side part and side swept pictures. All pictures are of Cary Grant, a man who could himself have been labeled as the epitome of the classic side part hairstyle!

[Image: 35fa3e051b8607690cb1421c1d122b60.jpg]

[Image: e6323f5fbf2c6543c8a1f388c59dfee1.jpg]

[Image: 47a2b46c0a8f46097c2f1eefdfb9eabf.jpg]

[Image: d928fdf4a8d797ee290666d4995b5048.jpg]

[Image: 62b72dea1751bb7f23a69b2698d2e907.jpg]

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,124 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,677 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 68,616 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 36 572,990 05-02-2016 05:30 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi