Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you use a flat iron on a beard? straighten facial hair
09-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Can you use a flat iron on a beard? straighten facial hair
Ok I am half trolling with this question but I am still interested in knowing the answer to it. Can you use a hair straightener on your beard? most of guys get real wiry facial hair even the guys with straight hair. So imagine if we could walk around with a smooth, shiny and straight textured beard. Flawless dangling, women would love to touch it (or not??).

Potential to walk around with an epic beard or massive loss of manliness? Big Grin barber experts... time to demonstrate your expertise! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
RE: Can you use a flat iron on a beard? straighten facial hair
Yes you can use a hair straightener on your beard. Be careful however, you need enough beard length to use a hair straightener. If you use a one inch wide hair straightener, then have at least 3 inches of beard. Usually it is double the length of the hair straightener's width, but we are talking facial hair here and risking burning your face dude.

I still would not recommend straightening your beard. One wrong move and you can get in trouble. Also facial hair is wiry for a reason. What is next... using a hair straightener on public hair? Big GrinBig Grin

If you want to have a cool beard, a beard that looks nice and cared, then use a hair conditioner on it. Now that is a good idea and a trick not many young guns know. Try it but again, have 3 inches of beard length. Otherwise it is a waste of time.
09-17-2014, 02:23 PM
rofl and here i was thinking that the question i posted in another thread was awkward.
Seriosly now, do you really think you would get any benefits from using a hair straightener on your beard? serious question is serious.

Also sunset above what do you mean by 'facial hair is wiry for a reason'? thanks
09-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Yes, it's possible to use a flat iron with a beard, but I don't recommended it!
Please don't use a hair straightener on your beard unless you know what you're doing. Scalp skin ain't like facial skin, and you are risking trouble unless you have a long enough beard. Facial hair is of a different texture as it responds to male hormones, so it's a different beast from scalp hair altogether.

Having said the above, it is indeed possible to straighten a beard with a hair straightener. But, again, you need to be very careful about using the hair straightener on your beard, and you must have enough length to be able to use the hair straightener and avoid burning yourself! A minimum beard length to straighten it with a flat iron is 3 inches or 8 centimeters.

Not to mention that a fully straightened beard would look very odd. You tell me when you've seen a male with long facial hair that was fully straightened, glossy and textured like cardboard. The naturally wiry shape of hair strands that make up the beard have an irregular shaft structure which causes the wiry shape. It's the same with curly hair (on the scalp) only that beard hair is thicker, wirier and the skin from where the follicles grow is less tough.

Be careful and don't do it unless you really want to know how to get your beard straight with a flat iron.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-15-2014, 11:08 AM
(09-28-2014 01:57 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Please don't use a hair straightener on your beard. Scalp skin ain't like facial skin, and you are risking trouble unless you have a long enough beard. Facial hair is of a different texture as it responds to male hormones, so it's a different beast from scalp hair altogether.

Not to mention that a fully straightened beard would look very odd. You tell me when you've seen a male with long facial hair that was fully straightened, glossy and textured like cardboard.

Rasputin? At least it was long enough.

[Image: tumblr_n7d27sf4SI1sha9vyo1_400.jpg]

He had bone straight hair but his beard still was wiry like the rest of us. Crazy what the texture difference in androgen hair and scalp hair is.
10-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Dude dont use a flat iron on your beard. You probably haven't seen what straightened hair looks like cause it will make your beard look awkward. Not to mention like others posted that you can burn your face.
10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Sorry lord but that is one helluva lol question Big Grin
I just googled the topic and you are the first person on the internet to ask that question. You also got the low down on why you should not be ironing your beard so we can only hope that the next person with similar thoughts finds this thread in google.
11-05-2014, 01:59 PM
(09-13-2014 11:37 AM)Lordius Wrote:  Ok I am half trolling with this question but I am still interested in knowing the answer to it. Can you use a hair straightener on your beard? most of guys get real wiry facial hair even the guys with straight hair. So imagine if we could walk around with a smooth, shiny and straight textured beard. Flawless dangling, women would love to touch it (or not??).

Potential to walk around with an epic beard or massive loss of manliness? Big Grin barber experts... time to demonstrate your expertise! Big Grin

Sorry my friend but I think this is the winner for the Darwin award. The flat iron gets super hot like 200 degrees and more. You touch the skin of the chin or the nose by mistake. You will know it!! You can get a bad burn. The flat iron is perfect and very safe for the hair of your head but not for the hair of your face.

Ok I know you say this is maybe a troll post but don't do it. Even the experts in this forum say the same. It is dangerous.
05-20-2015, 09:30 AM
YES, you can. Professional RBS's (Real Bearded Santas) often straighten their wiry beards. They don't try to achieve "silky smooth" texture but are looking to get a little more length. They use the "mini" flat irons, about 1/2" wide plates.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What beard trimmer? Hublocker 0 82 11-21-2016 04:42 PM
Last Post: Hublocker
  Can I grow skyrim beard Skyrimbeard 1 166 11-15-2016 11:47 AM
Last Post: Cemmos
  Patch in beard Zaryhf 0 225 10-15-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Zaryhf
  Facial hair taxonomy - Illustrative reference in sections The Hairstylist 0 214 10-09-2016 09:25 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist