Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I use hair products for men every day?!!
04-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Can I use hair products for men every day?!!
I just had a quick question regarding putting hair products in your hair every day. Is this fine for your hair if you put in pomade or whatever everyday or can it be damaging? I try to go without some product somedays because I feel like it can be damaging to your hair, but it can be hard to not use product because then my hair looks puffy because I have such dense hair.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2015, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 11:01 AM by US Asian.)
RE: Can I use hair products for men every day?!!
While I am not a hardcore hair product user I have used mens hair products practically every day. I never ran into problems. I also know guys who really drench their hair in slick pomades and hair gels and they still have good hair.

From what I have read I think that the only hair products for men that can be damaging are those that use heat. If you think about it, hair is actually dead so it's like grabbing a piece of string and stressing it with heat. The string will burn out. I'm not saying a piece of string is made of the same as a hair strand but they're both non living tissues.

Stuff like hair gel, pomades, styling waxes etc do not react with the hair. They just temporarily stick to the hair and then they're removed with a wash or with shampoo.

One hair product aside from those that emit heat that I think would also damage your hair would be those that are used for straightening hair. Those products are made of acids so they react with the hair and apparently they re-order the structure of the hair at the atom level which makes the hair way more delicate. I have come across a couple of threads discussing these products, they're called relaxers as they make curly hair relax from the curly shape to a flat straight shape.

I never thought I would end up knowing these kinds of things about hair but hey this forum has a lot of content to use to kill time in between lectures LOL
04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
(04-13-2015 11:00 AM)US Asian Wrote:  While I am not a hardcore hair product user I have used mens hair products practically every day. I never ran into problems. I also know guys who really drench their hair in slick pomades and hair gels and they still have good hair.

From what I have read I think that the only hair products for men that can be damaging are those that use heat. If you think about it, hair is actually dead so it's like grabbing a piece of string and stressing it with heat. The string will burn out. I'm not saying a piece of string is made of the same as a hair strand but they're both non living tissues.

Stuff like hair gel, pomades, styling waxes etc do not react with the hair. They just temporarily stick to the hair and then they're removed with a wash or with shampoo.

One hair product aside from those that emit heat that I think would also damage your hair would be those that are used for straightening hair. Those products are made of acids so they react with the hair and apparently they re-order the structure of the hair at the atom level which makes the hair way more delicate. I have come across a couple of threads discussing these products, they're called relaxers as they make curly hair relax from the curly shape to a flat straight shape.

I never thought I would end up knowing these kinds of things about hair but hey this forum has a lot of content to use to kill time in between lectures LOL

One question about relaxers. How long does it stay straight?

So say I apply it once, does it stay straight for the next coming months?

And how does one relax his hair, just apply it to the hair and leave it in for 20 minutes or so?

Thanks
04-16-2015, 02:14 PM
If you're talking of hair styling products like pomades, waxes, gels and the whole lot then yes. You can use these hair styling products every single day for as long as you want. Same goes for hair care and hair grooming products like shampoos, conditioners, hair masks and all those products that take care of your hair.

The one group of products that can cause issues if they're used daily are the, what we call, heat styling tools. I'm talking of hair straighteners, curling irons and even hair dryers. Well hair dryers not so much but hair straighteners and curling irons can fry your hair if you use them daily without protection.

If what you're seeking is to use a hair straightener daily or a hair dryer daily then go to this sticky hair products list and browse down the first admin post to where it says 'best heat protecting product' which is another name for a heat tamer. You will find it between the Best hair straightener section and the best hair dryer section.

Get that heat tamer in the link of the sticky thread above and spray it on your hair for a few seconds before starting to blow dry or straighten your hair. That heat tamer does as its name says, which is to protect your hair from the heat that these tools crate while still allowing the tools to do what they're supposed to do.

You don't even need to use a heat tamer if you're using a hair straightener or blowdryer daily. Just use the heat tamer when you're going to use the heat styling tool to create the foundation of your hairstyle which will mean that you will be a couple of minutes putting your hair under the heat stress of the heat styling tool. And you certainly need protection for your hair against such a long time with heat.

(04-15-2015 12:59 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  One question about relaxers. How long does it stay straight?

So say I apply it once, does it stay straight for the next coming months?

And how does one relax his hair, just apply it to the hair and leave it in for 20 minutes or so?

Thanks

Right hair relaxers are products that flatten your hair so instead of curly your hair becomes straight. You just apply them to your hair and leave them to work for a given amount of time depending on how curly your hair is. What the hair relaxer does when it's on your hair is restructure your hair so the changes to the hair from curly to straight are permanent.

I actually posted a detailed reply in this other thread where the chap who started that thread got his hair relaxed. In his case he left some wavy pattern left instead of getting the hair completely flat. The issue with going bonkers with the relaxer and attempting to get your hair completely straight is that you can really waken the hair and even mildly burn your scalp. So it's important you get your hair relaxed at least the first time at a hair salon. You can apply the relaxer yourself when it's time to apply the relaxer to your new hair growth after about eight weeks since your first relaxer.

Another product you can use that will make your curly hair less curly and turn it into wavy hair is a texturiser. This type of product is like a watered down relaxer so it does the least damage to your hair and you can apply it on your hair by yourself as the product is relatively safe and easy to use. The downside is that you won't get your hair 100% straight with a texturiser although if your hair is wavy you can get very close to a fully straight shape for your hair.

If you read my reply in that other thread I linked to you will also read about my other suggestion which is a keratin hair straightening treatment aka 'Brazilian blowout'. It's less damaging to hair compared to a hair relaxer but it's much more expensive and the straight hair results only last between three to six months.

If you want to know more about a Brazilian blowout head over to this post in the Radamel Falcao thread where Jurgen discussed the permanent hair straightening treatments that guys like Falcao use to keep their curly hair straight.

Cheers!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help with styling products for Caesar haircut - Hayden Cassidy hairstyle KIERANHIN95 1 355 07-01-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: KIERANHIN95
  How to make hair curly from wavy hair without products? Labidad 0 363 04-16-2016 06:05 AM
Last Post: Labidad
  Growing thin long hair to a man bun, what products to use? Kvaaen 1 2,061 09-27-2015 02:29 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Small temples?! Help with hair loss at young age and products ootwia 1 682 04-25-2015 11:05 AM
Last Post: Frederick