Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I pull off a DIY buzz cut?
07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Can I pull off a DIY buzz cut?
I'm a 20 year old male, fair skinned, thin blonde hair, widows peak. I wouldn't say my face is "round", but I don't really have any "sharp" facial features or jaw line.

Last time I've ever had a butch cut was when I was 10 years old, and it looked really bad, but obviously my face has changed a bit. Up until a year ago, I kept my hair long, ranging from a Beatle cut to shoulder length. Throughout the past year, I've been getting the top of my hair cut down to 1 inch with scissors, and faded down to a number three buzz on the sides, and it looks really good.

Even though I like my current haircut, I would like to go with something even lower maintenance, and something I can do myself to save money. A lot of people recommend "Ivy League", but I can't do that myself. I was thinking of going with either a butch or something similar. I was going to try a 4 on top, and a 3 on the sides to give it a better shape, and if I mess up go to a number 3 butch. Do you think it's worth trying?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 04:00 AM
RE: Can I pull off a DIY buzz cut?
(07-01-2015 12:47 PM)Michael Wrote:  I'm a 20 year old male, fair skinned, thin blonde hair, widows peak. I wouldn't say my face is "round", but I don't really have any "sharp" facial features or jaw line.

Last time I've ever had a butch cut was when I was 10 years old, and it looked really bad, but obviously my face has changed a bit. Up until a year ago, I kept my hair long, ranging from a Beatle cut to shoulder length. Throughout the past year, I've been getting the top of my hair cut down to 1 inch with scissors, and faded down to a number three buzz on the sides, and it looks really good.

Even though I like my current haircut, I would like to go with something even lower maintenance, and something I can do myself to save money. A lot of people recommend "Ivy League", but I can't do that myself. I was thinking of going with either a butch or something similar. I was going to try a 4 on top, and a 3 on the sides to give it a better shape, and if I mess up go to a number 3 butch. Do you think it's worth trying?

Sure thing a 4 top 3 sides/bottom would be fine gauging that your skull is fairly round, should be no problems there. Do the top @ 4 first bringing it down to just below where the hear rounds on the sides so you can bring the 3 up into the four without going to far into the top!
07-04-2015, 08:53 AM
You can buzz your own hair with most buzzcut hairstyles, including a Butch Cut!
Absolutely! Any hair clipper haircut that requires a single length is very easy to do by oneself. In this case, a Butch Cut only requires one of the higher hair clipper lengths and you just buzz through your head without changing the length. In fact, we have an excellent buzz cut hairstyles guide which will show you the different types of buzz cuts for men and which you can do yourself or have a barber or hairdresser buzz for you.

I would advise against tapered haircuts by yourself because they require fine precision, which isn't really possible by oneself unless you're very skilled at giving yourself haircuts. It doesn't matter whether it's a scissor-trimmer taper cut or a hair-clipper taper cut, you're risking making a mistake somewhere down the line, and so much more with a scissor-trimmed taper cut. I'm mentioning this since you've mentioned the Ivy League haircut which does indeed require not just one but two taper cuts on the head.

See the buzz cut guide above so that you get other ideas for buzz cuts. Another type of buzz cut that looks great on men is the High and Tight haircut which you can buzz by yourself with a good hair clipper. Have a look at our High and Tight haircut guide to learn about this type of buzzcut and also about its Marines version: the Recon haircut.

The High and Tight is great because it makes your facial features sharper and more masculine. I'm not saying that you need this yourself, but I'm just mentioning it in case you'd be interested in the benefits of the High and Tight haircut. A Butch Cut doesn't have the powerful masculinizing properties of the High and Tight.

One more thing, do you have a good hair clipper? As in a heavy-duty and durable hair clipper? If you're going to be buzzing your head frequently, it's important to spend some extra bucks on a high-quality hair clipper. A good hair clipper will buzz through your hair like a "hot knife through butter" and a good hair clipper not overheat instantly (unlike the cheaper hair clippers). Not to mention that a good hair clipper will last you many years, while a cheap hair clipper will give you problems or break within the first months of use.

If you don't own a hair clipper, go through our men's hair clippers discussion to know more about the best hair clippers for men. We've listed and recommended great hair clippers with different price points, so, even if you don't have much to spend on a hair clipper, you can still get a good one that delivers great value by going through that linked discussions on our recommended hair clippers.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  17 with big forehead and receding hairline. Buzz hair or go bald? Sammerzy 0 876 03-17-2016 10:21 AM
Last Post: Sammerzy
  In your opinion, is the DIY basic buzz cut really that bad? Michael 2 792 12-30-2015 08:07 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Should i get a new buzz cut ? othmanneedshelp 0 743 08-10-2015 07:22 AM
Last Post: othmanneedshelp
  Types of Buzz Cut Haircuts - Picture TheMensHairForum 2 1,829 10-23-2014 07:47 AM
Last Post: Anton