Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Caesar Cut Hairstyle Guide: How to Style, Haircut, Products, Pictures and Tips
05-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Thumbs Up Caesar Cut Hairstyle Guide: How to Style, Haircut, Products, Pictures and Tips

A full guide on the Caesar haircut and hairstyle

Following our forum's tradition of publishing trendy men's hairstyle guides, here's now our Caesar Cut hairstyle guide. Also known simply as a Caesar haircut, the Caesar Cut hairstyle isn't as popular these days as other hairstyles like the slicked back Undercut. However, the Caesar Cut is still used by men who want stylish short hair instead of boring short hair, as the hairstyle can be used in an office environment or corporate environment instead of the more-common side part or slicked back styles.

What is a Caesar Cut hairstyle?

The Caesar Cut is a short men's haircut with a fringe. The hair on the top of the head is styled forward and flat, which is unlike most trendy hairstyles in 2014 and 2015. The Caesar Cut enjoyed quite a lot of popularity in the late 1990s as George Clooney sported his trademarked Caesar haircut in the TV series ER and skyrocketed this hairstyle's popularity in the United States among men aged 30 to 45 years of age.

[Image: ce47a78d1443e0c959142f387df54aef.jpg]

The actual name of the Caesar Cut hairstyle comes from emperor Julius Caesar himself. Julius Caesar used to style his hair forward and short, leaving a short fringe that hovered over his forehead. As stylish as he might have looked, the real reason for Julius Caesar wearing his hair forward with a fringe was due to his prominent balding.

As many of you know from reading the hair loss guides in our forum, male pattern baldness (i.e. the classic type of male hair loss) starts with a receding hairline and the hair loss continues to expand backwards until it meets the crown area (i.e. the back of the top of the head, which is anatomically known as the vertex). Julius Caesar was quite the dapper guy himself, hence he resorted to the oldest trick in the book to conceal his hair loss, to comb and style the hair forward. Indeed, many of his statues show Julius Caesar with a short haircut and all his hair brushed forward while sporting a prominent balding forelock (i.e. front of the top of the head).

[Image: 331px-Bust_of_Gaius_Iulius_Caesar_in_Naples.jpg]

It isn't just adults who can enjoy a Cesar Cut, this hairstyle goes very well with kids too, especially if the kid has straight hair or wavy hair. Short haircuts tend to be the preferred type of haircuts (by parents) for active kids, and the Caesar hairstyle offers a convenient and easy to maintain hairstyle for kids.

[Image: fb9e9e468eb6e2dc842a253d2a35e5ac.jpg]

So, now that we've introduced the Caesar Cut hairstyle, it's time to learn how to get the actual haircut.

How to get a Caesar haircut

Like many other old hairstyles that we've covered in our guides, there are 2 versions of the Caesar haircut: classic (i.e. without a taper) and modern (i.e. with a taper).

Classic Caesar haircut:

Julius Caesar's haircut was of an even length all across his head, meaning that his hair was not cut in a taper haircut. This allowed him to style the hair on the sides of his head forward for a quite aesthetic hairstyle at the time. Such an even-length type of haircut (i.e. all hair on the head is of the same length) is what we call a classic Caesar haircut.

Modern Caesar haircut:

On the other hand, a Caesar haircut can also be done with a taper haircut. In this instance, the hair on the sides and back of the head is cut shorter than the hair on the top of the head and is also tapered in length. This is the modern version of the Caesar haircut.

While the taper haircut on the sides and back of the head is the most popular cut with the Caesar haircut, the sides and back of the head can also be cut in an Undercut haircut, giving the Caesar Cut hairstyle a bowl haircut appearance. Likewise, the sides and back can be done in a fade haircut, from a high fade to a low fade and everything in between (although a fade is technically still a taper).

The hair on the top:

Regardless of whether you're getting a classic or modern Caesar haircut, the hair on the top of the head is to be kept at 1 to 3 inches of length. The final length of the hair on the top of the head is up to you, but it must be between 1 to 3 inches for the best aesthetic results.

What the above means is that, in the classic Caesar Cut, the hair all around the head is at the same length and thus at the length that you choose between 1 and 3 inches. So the hair on the sides and back of the head is of the same length as the hair on the top.

In the 2000 movie "Gladiator", both Russell Crowe as Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus sported a Caesar Cut hair style.

[Image: 9b739b4596433c03b70a204b474f7da5.jpg]

In the modern Caesar haircut, the hair on the sides and back of the head can be tapered as you want. Although a short and fast taper cut (done exclusively with a hair clipper) is more popular than a long taper involving scissors. So, unlike in the classic Caesar haircut where the hair all around the head is of the same length, in the modern Caesar Cut the hair on the sides and back of the head is shorter than the hair on the top, which is a classic characteristic of a taper haircut on the sides and back.

As another Hollywood celebrity, Marlon Brando also sported a Caesar haircut as Marcus Antonius on the 1953 movie "Julius Caesar".

[Image: a98da31f03da2801cfa7a434529c5c31.jpg]

Any barber or hairdresser should be able to give you a Caesar Cut without any issues whatsoever. In any case, it's always a good idea to take pictures to the barbershop or hair salon of the Caesar Cut hairstyles that inspire you and that you'd be interested in getting.

On the next post below, I will go through how to style a Caesar Cut hairstyle as well as post plenty of pictures of this hairstyle. Likewise, I will cover the different hair products to style a Caesar Cut, so keep browsing below as we show you all about the Caesar Cut hairstyle! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2015, 12:59 PM
How to style a Caesar Cut, what hair products to use and more hairstyle pictures!

How to style a Caesar Cut

The actual styling of a Caesar Cut is very easy, which makes this hairstyle a very convenient hairstyle for men. Likewise, it breaks the lines of the usual side part and slicked back styles while at the same time keeping the hair sharp, which makes the Caesar Cut an excellent hairstyle for professionals and businessmen alike. The fact that George Clooney popularized the hairstyle and his association still exists to this day gives the Caesar Cut more glamor and acceptance inside the corporate world.

An excellent movie example of the Caesar Cut is the Caesar Cut of George Clooney in the 1996 movie "From Dusk Till Dawn".

[Image: db47ad083cdc95538fad7c7aee0acfff.jpg]

To style a Caesar Cut, all you will need is a good hairstyling product and a good comb. A good styling cream or styling wax works perfectly for the Caesar Cut hairstyle.

The combing of the hair in the Caesar Cut is from the crown towards the forelock (i.e. the front of the top of your head), which is as easy as it gets when it comes to men's hair styling. You must start styling the hair when your hair is damp, and you must coat your hair in the hairstyling product of your choice prior to combing your hair forward. Simply use your fingers to distribute the styling product across your hair. In the case of the classic Caesar Cut, get the styling product on on the sides and back of your head.

[Image: GXKzfIG.jpg]

So, once you've got your hair with the styling product, you then grab a comb and comb your hair forward, starting at the crown. Make sure that, when you're combing the hair forward, you're following an even direction and that the hair is evenly styled forward. As you run the comb through the crown and across the top of your head, you will then finish at the forelock and a natural hair fringe will be formed. Once you have that on the top of your head, do the same on the sides of your head if you have a classic Caesar haircut. The hair on the back on your head (below the crown) can either be left alone or combed down.

In essence, the combing forward of the Caesar Cut hairstyle is exactly the opposite of the slicked back hairstyle. While with a slicked back hairstyle you'd start combing from the forelock and back (finishing at the crown), in the Caesar Cut you start combing from the crown and forward (finishing at the forelock or the forehead's hairline).

[Image: 2533a1e13f558f8080e102b3dfe07f38.jpg]

So, you now have your Caesar haircut fringe, what's next? You run your fingers across your head like you did with the comb, only that this time you will also lightly tousle the hair, especially at the front. This gives the Caesar Cut hairstyle a more-modern look as it looks casual but sharp.

Hair products for the Caesar Cut hairstyle

The Caesar Cut is truly a minimalist male hairstyle. All it needs is a good comb and a good styling product, namely a styling cream or a styling wax. You may also use a light-hold hair gel to style a Caesar Cut.

In terms of maintaining the Caesar haircut, you can save money from not going to the barbershop for regular trims by owning your own set of barber scissors and hair clipper. It's always good to have some good scissors and hair clipper at home to give yourself any haircut that you want, and both these tools are extremely useful for just about any male hairstyle out there.

Recommended hair products:

These are the hair products that we recommend for the best Caesar Cut hairstyle!
  • THIS styling cream: for a glossy and shiny look to your Caesar Cut, go with the styling cream in the link.
  • This styling wax: For a matte natural finish to your Caesar haircut, use the styling wax in the link.
  • THIS hair gel: for a drier look with a natural shine. The hold is light so it goes very well for a casual drier Caesar haircut.
  • This men's comb: forget about cheap combs that chip all the time and that damage your hair, go with the men's comb in the link and enjoy it for many and many years (you could easily pass that comb to your grandson!).
  • THIS hair clipper: if you're into cutting your own hair and if you will be doing a Caesar undercut haircut, then it's a wise move to own your own hair clipper. However, do not go for cheap hair clippers and instead pay some extra bucks for a sturdy, heavy-duty, powerful hair clipper that will be by your side for years and that will never let you down. And all that is what the hair clipper in the link is about (and it comes with everything that you need for any kind of haircut too)! Smile

Pictures of the Caesar Cut hairstyle

Due to the inherent tousling of the hair in the Caesar Cut (albeit some light tousling!) and considering that the hair can be cut in either its classic or modern form, the Caesar Cut can vary in looks and shapes. Thus, in order to offer you a better understanding and ideas for the Caesar haircut, here is a good set of pictures of the Caesar Cut hairstyle!

Feel free to add below some more pictures, styling advice, relevant tips or simply ask questions by commenting on this Caesar Cut style guide.

[Image: e08ca7b8173e29eefd7f3f884162ce10.jpg]

[Image: d0392566be7a520c77419efe0e7ca1d7.jpg]

[Image: bcf0bf6eebced4faa275987e9cc46101.jpg]

[Image: 697a474ae5d2583a34923bfade85ab69.jpg]

[Image: c1a8ca9647377db05ff5127acdbc0af4.jpg]

[Image: bc24863f08e1b1c8261dcb7982cc8533.jpg]

[Image: 38098493c45f263c8be25613b1c02777.jpg]

[Image: George-Clooney-in-ER-002.jpg]

[Image: 0f11a9489c9bd9d9c9cb8d5a230c4d7c.jpg]

[Image: bc5fccb14fd717f15f243089f28b97bf.jpg]

[Image: 0c2729705e470d4c12556b88b10fd6a8.jpg]

[Image: 52695b6adcf34aac4891ce773cb80330.jpg]

[Image: 7d63ae87b9912b198f2a80c955e3ee6d.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-18-2015, 07:22 AM
George Clooney started the Caesar Cut hairstyle trend in the mid to late 1990s!
The Caesar haircut is an excellent hairstyle for men with high foreheads. Just like women use fringe haircuts and Bobcuts to hide their high foreheads, a male with a high forehead can make his forehead look less high by using the fringe in the Caesar haircut.

Here are more hairstyle pictures of the Caesar Cut hairstyle. As said, George Clooney has been the flagship celebrity of the Caesar Cut, especially in the late 1990s when barbers in the US and Europe were flooded with customers wanting that "George Clooney hairstyle". I remember this perfectly and, incidentally, the vast majority of customers wanting George Clooney's Caesar Cut hairstyle were men in their late thirties all the way to their fifties! Smile

In those days and for the younger male population, it was the curtained hair style that was mostly favored by men in their late teens and in their twenties back in the mid to late 1990s. But the older crowd, which is more resilient to hairstyle trends, went crazy over the Caesar haircut!

Aside from George Clooney wearing his Caesar Cut style in the TV series ER, he also wore that same hairstyle in the movies "From Dusk Till Dawn" and "One Fine day".

[Image: d3f197a1f725af1affacfe2a9a9e92ee.jpg]

[Image: 5a21b8416454d5760387ddc79682a1ed.jpg]

[Image: c44708c508d7fb422456b0f601094e6b.jpg]

[Image: 29e574333b40afcf1e6c8db5ca675b15.jpg]

[Image: 352d01d1afb58e40e4430b20460aca59.jpg]

[Image: 12134cbf632c0cf9861d42946fc35711.jpg]

[Image: DhgkhPK.jpg]

[Image: 60c171e533fc7c24cc928ff03f31cdef.jpg]

[Image: 1d7b1e173fb638b5252dc3cbfe01db80.jpg]

[Image: 2c91321ad727b39c633e20579f3ba4b8.jpg]

[Image: bd759982de2fe3759e714deb0e0a5731.jpg]

[Image: 7d031597aada514e582bba1f08763abe.jpg]

[Image: 8edb02da7f42232440801e73bbda5186.jpg]

[Image: a674cec7861969c9dd3c8b38cf26e94b.jpg]

[Image: fd261e9db143ea99b844f9f552bc9401.jpg]

[Image: J8fDpL5.jpg]

[Image: 838a9c18221c8eb80238d257b8d235ad.jpg]

[Image: 597214a5acbe277ee5c13a2b8299ade4.jpg]

05-20-2015, 01:23 PM
RE: Caesar Cut Hairstyle Guide: How to Style, Haircut, Products, Pictures and Tips
Now this is the kind of hairstyle guide that you won't find anywhere else! Gotta say that I remember seeing lots of guys in their thirties here in New York wearing the Caesar haircut. I was only a kid back then but I remember a couple of my uncles getting the Caesar haircut after George Clooney. Same for any guy in his thirties when I hopped on the bus or just walking around. I think this was back when the metrosexual trend started even though George Clooney wasn't exactly the standard metrosexual as more of an ubersexual -- you know, manly guy who could not care less what others thought about his hair or clothes.

It's true what you say about the haircut fading away. I've spent most my life here in New York but I've traveled a bit around the country to Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington and a couple other big cities and you would be hard pressed to find a dude with a Caesar haircut. Now if we're talking of the slicked back undercut... from under the rocks and from any type of rock.

I like how Marlon Brando had that Caesar hairstyle. I think he really got the essence of the hairstyle as he comb all the hair forward. This is the classic version as per this guide and quite uncommon as the Caesar haircut from George Clooney was a modern version with the taper haircut. Good movie too, talking of the "Julius Caesar" movie.

Excuse the chest hair on good ol' Marlon Brando as Mark Anthony...

[Image: 22939382a7247c8d87416d92680ca671.jpg]

I didn't know that Julius Caesar used that hairstyle to hide his balding. Now that will be a good topic for some bar talk! Big Grin It makes sense though as the hair is combed forward so it hides the receding hairline. From what I have read in this forum, this is the first sign of balding -- correct me if I'm wrong. If you see any statues or busts of Julius Caesar you can see how his hairline was receding further and further as he got older. Yet he still managed to convince people in his time that he had a solid mane in his late age. I'm guessing the Caesar haircut was in fact the hair transplant of our modern times.

While I prefer the modern hairstyles I do know a couple of friends who will love this Caesar haircut guide. One of them has the receding hairline already, in his late twenties. The other two have those boring buzz cuts and won't grow their hair any longer. Then they complain why they can't find a woman. I think a Caesar haircut would be an upgrade for them within their comfort zone and will improve their looks. They need it badly!

Thanks for this Caesar haircut guide. I'm spending too much time on this forum reading the hairstyle guides. It's killing my productivity, but at least I will be an unproductive dapper employee LOL
06-27-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: Caesar Cut Hairstyle Guide: How to Style, Haircut, Products, Pictures and Tips
Hey lads here's another example of a neat Caesar Cut hairstyle. I was watching a director's cut version of the Snatch film when I noticed the Caesar haircut of Guy Ritchie. Yes, that's the geezer who was married to Madonna or still is married. Don't know and I don't care.

I thought that his Caesar hair look provided another example of how simply and convenient this hairstyle really is so long as you get the actual haircut right. Frankly the haircut for the Caesar Cut is easy enough to just pop over to any random barbershop or hair salon in your town and ask for one. It's always a good idea taking a couple of pictures from this guide to show to your barber how you want your Caesar Cut hairstyle to look. Keep it in a neat and slow taper cut with emphasis on the bangs on the top and the forward styling of the hair. You're golden!

Here are three pictures that I took of Guy Ritchie's Caesar Cut hairstyle. I've posted a few more over at the celebrity forum section but it's pretty much what you see below. Short, classy and neat. Cheers!

[Image: AZJ99YI.jpg]

[Image: xjyxOgQ.jpg]

[Image: 61Ncs83.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 626,338 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 252,505 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,229 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,305 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight