Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush up tips?
04-04-2014, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 06:59 AM by connorhassle123.)
Brush up tips?
Hey everyone, just stumbled across a pretty cool style, I was wondering, would this be classified as a brush up?

[Image: 2ep4tw8.jpg]

If so, could anyone estimate the measurements of the hair on the fringe, top, sides? I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

Also, any tips on how to get the hair to go straight up? I use a hair-dryer an wax normally, and sometimes mousse, but I can never get the hair to go straight up, it turns into a quiff most of the time.

Thanks in advance! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Brush up tips?
Well, the difference between a quiff and a brush up hairstyle is that the quiff has the hair up on the forelock alone, while the brush up has the same "hair up" style of the quiff all across the top of the head.

Simply do what you're doing for the quiff but do it on the rest of your head. Point the hair dryer at each section of the top of the head and use your fingers ONLY to "brush" (i.e. lift) the hair up. Try to have the hair dryer pointed at an angle towards the section of the hair you are lifting up and NOT have the hair pointing straight down to the section you're working on as doing the latter would defeat the purpose of lifting the hair up (by having the hair dryer pointing down straight, the hair will be pushed down).

It is a bit tricky at first, but you will soon catch the groove of lifting the hair up and using the hair dryer to get it higher and with bigger volume Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-04-2014, 10:00 AM
(04-04-2014 09:33 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Well, the difference between a quiff and a brush up hairstyle is that the quiff has the hair up on the forelock alone, while the brush up has the same "hair up" style of the quiff all across the top of the head.

Simply do what you're doing for the quiff but do it on the rest of your head. Point the hair dryer at each section of the top of the head and use your fingers ONLY to "brush" (i.e. lift) the hair up. Try to have the hair dryer pointed at an angle towards the section of the hair you are lifting up and NOT have the hair pointing straight down to the section you're working on as doing the latter would defeat the purpose of lifting the hair up (by having the hair dryer pointing down straight, the hair will be pushed down).

It is a bit tricky at first, but you will soon catch the groove of lifting the hair up and using the hair dryer to get it higher and with bigger volume Smile

Ahh thank you so much, this is where I was going wrong. I was actually getting the hair on the top of my head to stand up, but I thought this was wrong so I'd end up flattening it down!

Thanks so much for the advice, from the picture, what would you say the measurement's of the hair length in the picture are?

Thank you so much! Smile
04-04-2014, 10:14 AM
My guess would be about 4 inches of length.

If you look closely, the hair is about the same length as the vertical length of his forehead (from middle of the forehead's hairline to between his eyes). As a trick, you will know when you achieve his hair length when you are showering and the hair on the front of the top of your head (i.e. forelock) lies on your eyebrows (assuming you're showering and the hair is wet and laying flat on your forehead and not back).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
That right there the instructions TMHF gave you is the way to do the brush up hairstyle. A common error is what you mention you were doing. Ime your fingers are the best way to lift the hair up plus hair dryer like you have and voila!
04-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much for all the help guys, very much appreciated!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Awkward phase tips Sadboi2003 0 176 09-29-2016 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sadboi2003
  Undercut and straightening tips nickterry110 1 694 02-20-2016 05:45 PM
Last Post: JonSnow1
  Disconnected haircut with slicked back undercut hair tips Rushroadie2112 0 653 08-14-2015 07:01 PM
Last Post: Rushroadie2112
  Tips and Advice on Styling Hair Please! Dr. Isaiah 0 530 05-19-2015 07:01 PM
Last Post: Dr. Isaiah