Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush or Comb for styling thick, wavy hair for men?
08-06-2015, 01:19 AM
Brush or Comb for styling thick, wavy hair for men?
My hair is thick and wavy, and also very dry/static - which I'm working out on. I realised recently that I haven't really brushed or combed it in about 3 months... Besides my barber doing it.

Need something to use when styling or just to detangle a bit, but no idea what's best for my hair.

Any reading material or recommendations?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Men with wavy hair should use a wide-tooth comb to style their wavy manes!
Never use a hair brush on thick wavy hair! Likewise, a regular fine-tooth comb is not a good idea for any kind of wavy hair. The best comb for wavy hair is a wide-tooth comb.

Wavy hair is curly hair; what this means is that wavy hair falls under the category of curly hair in our popular hair type guide. Wavy hair loops around itself as it grows out of the follicle, and the thin and narrowly-spaced teeth of regular combs can damage wavy hair as the teeth get caught up on the loops or wavy shape of the hair locks.

A wide tooth comb is by far the best type of comb for curly-haired men, which includes wavy-haired men. Moreover, if you truly have thick hair, you will have even more problems when styling your hair with a regular comb or a hair brush. Likewise, most men are actually unknowingly talking about a high hair density when they say that they have thick hair. Having a high hair density will also cause a big issue for men with wavy hair who are trying to comb their wavy manes.

If you don't already own a wide-tooth comb, then have a look at these two wide-tooth combs for curly men's hair which you will find in the linked post. Both are great wide-tooth combs that suit all types of curly men's hair (wavy, coiled and kinky curly). Owning a wide-tooth comb will improve the aesthetics of your hair over the next couple of months as you would otherwise be damaging your hair with a hair brush or a fine-tooth comb for your wavy mane!

Lastly, as far as extra reading material as you've asked for, our curly hair forum section has a lot of advice on styling curly hair. Another excellent reading source for curly hair is the website called Manly Curls by Rogelio Samson, who also wrote a really useful book on curly hair for men titled The Curly Hair Book. He talks about wide-tooth combs on both his Manly Curls website and his book, plus a lot more useful and applicable stuff on men's curly hair that you will not find anywhere else (well, except on our site!).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 193 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 10,800 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  What blow dryer or hot air brush do you use? gadgethawse 0 109 08-08-2016 02:04 PM
Last Post: gadgethawse
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 387 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21