Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference?
05-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference?
I'm not understanding the difference between a hair relaxer and a Brazilian blowout.

Moderator edit: this post has been converted into a thread so as to not derail the thread where a forum member straightened his curly hair with a hair texturizer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference?
A hair relaxer is a chemical product that you apply to your curly hair to make it straight. The effect is permanent but only for the hair that has had the product applied to. Any new hair growth will grow curly. Hair relaxers are creamy products. Sort of like pomade, in a way.

Hair relaxers can burn your scalp if you are not careful. There are pictures in this forum showing the scarring that these burns from hair relaxers produce. Probably forum moderator can post these pics but I've seen them in this forum.

A Brazilian blowout is done with a keratin product that also looks like a cream and then a flat iron is used to straighten the hair. The flat iron uses heat to straighten the hair and the use of the keratin product keeps the hair straightened for up to six months. Usually it is more like three to six months.

A flat iron by itself will only straighten your hair for a day or two. As soon as you wet your hair it will go back to being curly. So by using a keratin treatment product you then make the straightening effect last much longer.
See the forum's thread on flat irons if you are interested in how they work & in using them on their own or by doing a Brazilian blowout.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...rs-for-men

There's also a lot of info on this forum about both treatments to straighten curly hair. Heck that's how I learned about them initially.

Any other questions?
10-19-2016, 07:56 PM
RE: Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference?
I would like to add that I looked into Brazilian blowouts last time I had long hair (maybe 6 years ago) and at the time when I asked around I was consistently told/read that it was illegal in Montreal (don't know about Canada) .
I don't know why but it might be worth investigating properly before applying something to your head!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Difference between low shine pomade and matte finish clay pomade? Stan A 0 379 03-09-2016 08:54 PM
Last Post: Stan A
  Difference between pomade and hair wax? The Kid 1 1,860 05-10-2015 07:00 AM
Last Post: US Asian
  Difference between a conditioner and leave in conditioner for men Bradley 3 5,193 04-12-2015 10:04 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Hair gel vs hair wax for mens hairstyles, what's the difference? US Asian 3 1,980 04-12-2015 09:41 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum