Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Braided Man Bun Hairstyle Guide with Pictures and Advice
06-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Thumbs Up Braided Man Bun Hairstyle Guide with Pictures and Advice
With the man bun hairstyle becoming so popular since 2014, there are variants popping out such as the braided man bun style, which I will cover in this guide.

Now, the regular man bun as per our man bun guide has the hair on the head being tied into a single bun. You may tie all the hair on you had, or you may tie jut the hair on the top of the head while keeping the sides and back of the head buzzed. In fact, another popular variant of the man bun is the man bun Undercut hairstyle which keeps the sides and back buzzed very short with a single clipper length while the hair on the top has at last 8 inches of length.

Another popular variant is the top knot hairstyle which is a smaller bun style requiring only 6 inches of hair length to tie. Because of the short hair length in the top knot, only the hair on the top is tied into the know, while the sides and back are kept short as per the man bun Undercut above.

The braided man bun hairstyle:

The braided man bun is not a common variant of the manbun. It requires a lot of hair length and the ability to get your hair braided (which isn't easy on your own!).

For braided hairstyles and references, have a look at this braided hairstyles thread that will give you ideas on braided styles. If you are new to braiding your hair, then I highly recommend that you get someone to braid your hair for you. Most women are acquainted with braiding their own hair, especially women who have hair longer than shoulder length.

In the braided man bun, only the hair on the top of the head is braided and the braids themselves are thick, unlike other braided hairstyles for men. The sides and back are kept very short, usually in an Undercut, although you can keep the sides and back in any kind of fade haircut or similar tapered haircut. The actual braiding process is very easy in this type of man bun, and it will not take a long time since it's only the hair on the top that is being braided.

To get a braided man bun, you will need at least 12 inches of hair length on the top of your head. That's about shoulder length for guys, which mean that the hair on the top of your head must touch or be close to touching your shoulders. Do not use the hair on the sides or back of your head as a reference for this length!

Unlike with the regular man bun hairstyle, you can keep your braided man bun for several weeks at a time. Thus, there's no need to undo your braided hair and bun, so long as you keep your hair care optimal.

Pictures of braided man buns:

By far, the best way to exemplify this particular bun hairstyle is to do so by using pictures of barbershop clients who have gotten their hair in a braided man bun. Usually, a barbershop client will only come to the barbershop to get the sides and back of the head trimmed or buzzed. The actual braiding is done by either himself or by someone who isn't part of our barbershop staff.

If you cannot find anyone to braid your man bun, then you can go to a hair salon, as the staff there is usually well acquainted with braiding hair in thick locks.

Any questions that you may have about the braided man bun are welcome! Smile

By the way, the last picture is the braided manbun of Harry Styles which isn't buzzed on the sides and back of the head unlike the other braided styles.

[Image: 5XCAjlz.jpg]

[Image: M71Oll3.jpg]

[Image: W1oAjw8.jpg]

[Image: 3bBNsYL.jpg]

[Image: 6c6db80060934a85c72f7b5ee1ec0593.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2015, 07:11 AM
A top view of the braided manbun hairstyle showing the plait.
Here's a great illustration with this picture of how the braided plait (i.e. braided hair) on the top of the head looks for the man bun. It's actually a very similar look to the hairstyle of Ragnar Lothbrok with the braids and long hair, only that Ragnar Lothbrok didn't have a man bun (as you can see in the link)! Big Grin

[Image: MPPMadv.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-22-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Braided Man Bun Hairstyle Guide with Pictures and Advice
Yeah we're seeing more braided man buns in the UK too and especially in London. Lads have got tired of the regular man bun so the next step is to make some modifications to it and in six months everyone and their dog will have braided manbuns.

Here's my barbershop contribution. As barbers we aren't really mean to be braiding hair as that's more of a hairstylist's turf if we're talking of single braids, french plaits and even the good old English braid. We have a guy at our barbershop who can braid cornrows and it's the cornrows hairstyle that most lads ask for if we're talking of braided men's hairstyles.

I'm not that bad braiding hair myself although I'm surprised at the amount of barbers who could not braid a simply plait even if their lives depended on it. I still prefer a taper cut to a braid tho...

I've no doubts we'll be seeing more manbun braids combinations in these couple of months. Glad to be posting on this thread which is the first documentation online acknowledging and explaining the braided manbun as this hairstyle will be hipster hairstyle fodder very soon.

I've said it before but maybe we should have some kind of forum section where we predict the new hairstyles for men to hit the scene. This forum has already made popular across the world quite a few hairstyles like the brush up hairstyle so it isn't like the forum barbers here especially those of you in the US can't predict hairstyle trends. Lots of barbershops here in the UK follow this forum for the hairstyle trends and the general advice so you lads have already proven that you can spot a trend a mile away.

Anyway here's my contribution. Cheers!

[Image: J6O0Lch.jpg]
06-25-2015, 08:21 AM
RE: Braided Man Bun Hairstyle Guide with Pictures and Advice
I already have enough hair length to braid a man bun. I've not yet decided whether I want to do it or not since I've seen two friends of mine braid their manbuns and it can really good or really bad. I think that for the man bun to look great in a braided hairstyle, it must be cut into an undercut. I'm talking of the man bun undercut for a braided man bun.

I don't have an undercut so the hair below the top of my head is just as long as the hair on the top. So if I wanted to get a good look with a braided man bun I would have to cut all the hair o the sides and back of my head which isn't something that I look forward to. Sure the man bun with the braided style will look cool and all that with the undercut but the minute that you undo the bun you're left with only long hair on the top of your head. I don't like that type of long hairstyle and I'm aiming for at least chest length hair so I will very likely not pursue a man bun undercut just to braid my hair.

If I attempt to braid all of my hair into a man bun then I will let you all know!! Big Grin

Here's a picture of a friend with his man bun braided. I will admit that he looks great with it and like someone else said in this thread, it really gives him a "Ragnar Lothbrok" style look (or is it spelled "Ragnar Lodbrok"??).

[Image: ZmePq23.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 31 Yesterday 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 53 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 108 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 72 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden