Share This Page!
Twitter

[-]
Follow Us on Facebook!

[-]
Follow Us on Google!

[-]
Recent Posts
use conditioner after shampoo? hair care adv...
Jay, have a look through our shampoo and conditioner guide and discussion in the . . .TheMensHairForum — 05:14 PM
Best 360 waves brush? Depends if soft or medium!
Jay, regardless of the 360 wave brush, you want to be getting "waving" or wolfin . . .TheMensHairForum — 04:40 PM
Thoughts on butch cuts?
a butch cut is really easy. It goes on a high clipper comb and uses the same cli . . .AfroJay — 02:41 PM

Black Men Natural Hair Epic Hairstyles
06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Black Men Natural Hair Epic Hairstyles

Natural hair comes in all hair types and shapes, and black men benefit greatly from natural hairstyles and hair care since kinky curly hair is very delicate. Likewise, kinky hair requires the most moisturising and handling at anything over a short length, which means that seeing black men with great luscious curls is rare these days.

Through my books and sites, I encourage all men to develop their manes and get their curls rocking. For black men, currently there is hardly any hair inspiration going around for them to grow their 'fros and locks, and, as with all men with other hair types, having hair that is anything but short and cropped neat is frowned upon by our sheep-behaving society. Ergo, I want to create this thread especifically to celebrate natural kinky curly hair and the men who sport such manes. I hate to put people into "races", "types", "ethnicities" and what not, but I think devoting a thread (of the many that are growing on this great forum) to African-American men and African men with kinky curly hair is very much deserved.

This thread is for you to post pictures, ask questions, make observations, recommend hair products; anything goes; this thread is about black men's natural hair in all its glory. We have other threads in the forum dedicated to natural hair and kinky curly hair, so feel free to post in here whenever you aren't sure where to post about natural hair.

Let the inspiration begin, fellow natural-haired comrades!

Best

[Image: ea311c08a733f1509dfb1865d78e9ba6.jpg]

[Image: 682817dc7e329334239355288e707566.jpg]

[Image: 7d058b501473607a15118904a9289107.jpg]

[Image: fd89d407c331768f8f950b48fb89e7c3.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2013, 04:29 PM
RE: Black Men Natural Hair Epic Hairstyles
Anybody wanting some natural curly 'fro inspiration?

[Image: b7ef8a1b57bc72a25b2dabdd9f82e180.jpg]

[Image: ea2e205124ba67b677840f95745c73f1.jpg]

[Image: 3b1ca432f89815e3b6f974232f7a2826.jpg]

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Great idea as usual coming from you Rogelio Smile its true it's a bit hard to find black men with natural hair, also, what should we define natural hair as?? Should we go our natural hair description on this forum section, what do u think?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Absolutely TMHF, I think the definition of "natural hair" being that of not using any processed products on your hair and instead using products that are taken from nature without any further refining or manufacturing is a good definition.

Lenny Kravitz uses Aloe Vera for his kinky curly hair! He uses a goo of Aloe Vera (mashed Alove Vera), applies it to his hair and then Shakes & Goes. I have lived in areas very rich in Aloe Vera and use this plant a lot on my curls, excellent plant product I tell ya!

Here are some pictures of Lenny Kravitz's natural hair:

[Image: lenny-kravitz12.jpg]

[Image: LennyKravitz-furdevil.jpg]

[Image: 471px-Lenny_Kravitz_cropped_2010.jpg]

[Image: lenny%20kravitz-saidaonline.jpg]

Just posted the video of Lenny Kravitz doing the Shakeout on this thread on Lenny Kravitz.

06-30-2013, 09:34 PM
More natural hairstyles inspiration for our afro textured pals!

[Image: dcc402ca8656d7a3fc8cbd9ff94fb717.jpg]

[Image: 890b22d0a613029028aef536e2ecbcf7.jpg]

[Image: 47f7b61dff85fe0b341c412264ccf5be.jpg]

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Natural Hairstyles pictures

[Image: 47f7b61dff85fe0b341c412264ccf5be.jpg]

[Image: 98b9d9bc91c6305d728fd926a58997d3.jpg]

[Image: a5b688896c1530ccd06385d3c9255b85.jpg]

[Image: 1e1e72dd2f0a9e7c44a4e8eb5f7410d0.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-04-2013, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 01:58 PM by Jurgen.)
Epic afro hairstyle

[Image: 6bb1a22fc712e0b6dabee7049e6dc28c.jpg]

Long loose curly afro

Shaggy hairstyle with afro textured hair

[Image: 682817dc7e329334239355288e707566.jpg]
07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Patrick Ewing with a teenie weenie Afro hairstyle

[Image: 255196-patrick-ewing-was-inducted-into-t...n-2008.jpg]

(teenie weenie afro is just a small afro btw)

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Twists natural hairstyle

For twists, the hair is paired in twists to allow for the hair to naturally mat together. Twists are the start of what are dreadlocks.

[Image: Thiago%2BSantos%2B9%2Bmain.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m7fd2iFFhW1qd9ql4o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mcxunibVbk1rrpw6ao1_1280.jpg]

[Image: 68e5da5554b3a7b61afd401f1fcd763a.jpg]

07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Big natural afro hairstyle

[Image: tumblr_max6lslWNi1rq0exgo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m67dz1lSDS1qd2qxpo1_1280.jpg]

07-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Another cool natural hairstyle Cool

[Image: 6002b84e685323a306f7778867b11e15.jpg]
07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
u know it hasnt been until I read the curly hair book that i started appreciating my curly kinky mane, I have to thank you personally Rogelio for that book, it makes so much sense when you see it in the way u promote etc respect ma' man
on natural manes, this is male model Timothy clark with his curly kinky afro style hair Cool

[Image: 282551_257828417561309_100000024573454_1...9788_n.jpg]

hair looks a bit dry on this one lol massive afro volume tho

[Image: tumblr_mdr6yqaNSs1qc9cilo1_500.jpg]
08-15-2013, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 07:39 PM by Jurgen.)
The natural curly hair of Gary Dourdan, what do you think forum? Cool Very nice twists for his kinks, he also used to have dreadlocks some years ago.

[Image: gary_dourdan_97.jpg]

[Image: Gary-gary-dourdan-2023601-422-537.jpg]

[Image: Gary-Dourdan-from-CSI-Las-Vegas.jpg]
08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
...and Gary Dourdan with blonde dyed hair for the lol because he is worth it Big Grin not natural hair any more according to our natural hair rules!

[Image: o-GARY-DOURDAN-BANKRUPTCY-facebook.jpg]
12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
We can't forget about Perri Kiely natural hair! Kid with great curls going on.

[Image: Isle+Man+Music+Festival+Day+3+JVXNphoQJJNl.jpg]

[Image: 201209.jpg]

12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Nothing like a natural Afro hairstyle with a messy cut Smile

[Image: willian-new-getty.jpg]

[Image: article-2400275-1B63F3A7000005DC-220_634x592.jpg]

It's a bit tricky to maintain the Afro day in and day out but with some convenient tips and advice it can be easily done. Good thing Rogelio published The Curly Hair Book and now curly men can know how to take care of their 'fros and curls Smile I basically just bought copies of the book for Christmas and started handing them out to all my curly family members as I'm tired of seeing them with rat's nests (or "dead rats" as Rogelio calls them in the book LOL!)

[Image: 19645.jpg]

01-02-2014, 02:20 AM
Wow! Some of these afros look seriously amazing-- just, wow.. I want to rock mines like that, but not long enough yet. I have two question. Are all of these afros natural and untouched by heat ( without using a blowdryer with pick attachment or hotcomb)? Some of them look very fluffy and have so much volume -- like the guy in the 2nd post, 3rd picture. If that's natural and untouched by heat, how did he achieve that -- it's so raw. My second question is what do you guys think about using heat on kinky hair and how frequently should heating be used on it? I remember back when my afro was larger than it is now, when I would use a blowdryer to pick out my hair it was longer and fluffier VS my afro in its state without using heat. I know that using heat at a low setting can be ok, but I just want some input. Thanks!
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
(01-02-2014 02:20 AM)Javon Wrote:  Wow! Some of these afros look seriously amazing-- just, wow.. I want to rock mines like that, but not long enough yet. I have two question. Are all of these afros natural and untouched by heat ( without using a blowdryer with pick attachment or hotcomb)? Some of them look very fluffy and have so much volume -- like the guy in the 2nd post, 3rd picture. If that's natural and untouched by heat, how did he achieve that -- it's so raw. My second question is what do you guys think about using heat on kinky hair and how frequently should heating be used on it? I remember back when my afro was larger than it is now, when I would use a blowdryer to pick out my hair it was longer and fluffier VS my afro in its state without using heat. I know that using heat at a low setting can be ok, but I just want some input. Thanks!

yo bro i am also growing my fro and i have found the same when using a blow dryer it pretty much just jacks up my hair and makes it 3x bigger and fluffier. The guys here have said that too so basically use the blow dryer when you want your afro to get bigger, if instead you want the curls more defined just go with conditioner and a leave in, this is what i am doing myself right now-->

1. only shampoo once a week, use my fingers and water the rest of days to clean my hair naturally
2. conditioner 3x week
3. if im short on time use a leave in conditioner after drying my hair with a cotton t shirt.. make sure you are drying your hair right as curly hair should never be dried with a towel and much less dried with friction, use a cotton t shirt instead and just squeeze the water out
4. use coconut butter when i have a couple of more minutes in the morning, its important to not get the butter on your scalp and first melt it in your hands and aply it to 2/3 of the length of your curls
5. use blow dryer with coldest setting and a diffuser, always use a diffuser bro you really don't wanna concentrate all that air on the hair way too narrow.. the blow dryer is there to just help dry the hair faster and keep the curls defined so clip in the diffuser and your good to go

everything i am doing is all in the Curly Hair book or in this forum by asking other guys and reading the curly hair section of the forum.. also the manly curls wbsite has a lot of stuff on curly hair so make sure you read that too but the advice from everyone on this forum and manly curls is to keep it simple and keep the hair moisturised - but this dont mean greasy like a ***king jheri curl lol
stay in touch bro theres a good number of us in the forum growing our curls Smile
01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
(01-02-2014 02:20 AM)Javon Wrote:  Wow! Some of these afros look seriously amazing-- just, wow.. I want to rock mines like that, but not long enough yet. I have two question. Are all of these afros natural and untouched by heat ( without using a blowdryer with pick attachment or hotcomb)? Some of them look very fluffy and have so much volume -- like the guy in the 2nd post, 3rd picture. If that's natural and untouched by heat, how did he achieve that -- it's so raw. My second question is what do you guys think about using heat on kinky hair and how frequently should heating be used on it? I remember back when my afro was larger than it is now, when I would use a blowdryer to pick out my hair it was longer and fluffier VS my afro in its state without using heat. I know that using heat at a low setting can be ok, but I just want some input. Thanks!

Javon, the best way to go about it is by avoiding heat as much as possible and if you're going to use it, then only use a hair dryer with a clipped diffuser and with the coldest temperature setting in the hair dryer. The big fluffy Afros that you see are done with lots of blow drying as many of the men with Afros in the pictures above are models and there is a lot of hair styling going on for photo shoots, even if it isn't good for the hair of the model and even if the hair is supposed to be in a natural hairstyle.

In terms of frequency of use of hair dryers, I would say up to three times per week will be fine so long as you use a diffuser and the coldest temperature. If you don't have a hair dryer or are unsure about them, then feel free to ask questions and open a thread. Hair dryers can come with a high price and it's difficult to justify the prices on quite a few of them. One hair dryer on the high end of quality and price that I can recommend you or anybody else wanting a hair dryer that will minimize any heat damage is this particular hair dryer which uses infrared energy, it really is worth the money and is among the best hair dryers one can use for natural hairstyles. The diffuser comes as an extra accessory so make sure you get it too (it's this one on Amazon).

You may also consider switching to raw organic coconut butter for conditioning your curls. This type of butter works exceptionally well and smells very good so you can use it to style your Afro too.

I have used raw organic coconut butter myself even though I don't have kinly curly hair but I know of other black friends of mine who swear by it and, of course, Rogelio from The Curly Hair Book highly recommends raw coconut butter for protecting and enhancing curly kinky hair! He uses it himself too, so I recommend you consider adding raw organic coconut butter to your hair products collection.

If you're going to get coconut butter, it is very important to buy the raw product and make sure that it is organic as that will ensure you get the best quality coconut butter, and your hair will thank you for that Smile The one I use is this raw organic coconut butter (2 bottles as you certainly want to stock on it!) and I love it for my hair. It also works very well as a skin moisturizer and to use for cooking too Smile

01-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Wink RE: Black Men Natural Hair Epic Hairstyles
Thanks for the tips -- very helpful!

I just realized you guys don't have pictures of Corbin Blue's afro -- his curls are great, but he cut it so, it isn't as big as it used to be, but still great

(Was going to post pictures, but I still don't have permission to do so)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dreadlocks and Locks for Men - Epic Pictures Jurgen 22 19,159 Yesterday 02:36 PM
Last Post: AfroJay
  Black men with Teenie Weenie Afros natural hairstyles Jurgen 9 1,404 07-28-2014 08:54 AM
Last Post: Michael
Sad Long Cornrows Hairstyle of Black Bodybuilder Jurgen 2 349 07-05-2014 06:55 AM
Last Post: Jurgen
  Natural products for kinky hair AfroJay 7 1,439 03-13-2014 04:37 PM
Last Post: Jurgen