Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to use mens hair products with wet hair or dry hair?
03-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Best way to use mens hair products with wet hair or dry hair?
Hello friends! My questions are do we use mens hair products with wet hair or dry hair for all mens hairstyles? What is the best way to style hair wet or dry? There is also another option to style mens hair with damp hair which is between wet hair and dry hair. I have tried hair products with dry hair, wet hair and damp hair. My preferred option from 1 to 3 are:
  1. Damp hair
  2. Wet hair
  3. Dry hair
When I style my dry hair I will keep the same hairstyle for many hours later, but the problem is that it is more difficult to style my hair and I use more product.

When I style my wet hair I use very little product and my hairstyling is very smooth. The problem is that after 1 or 2 hours my hair looks different from how I styled my hair when it was damp.

Finally for me damp hair is perfect because I can style any hairstyle that I want and my hair looks like the same many hours later. With damp hair I can also spread the hair products like pomade and wax better.

What is your experience with styling dry hair or wet hair? What is the best way to style hair? Wet, damp or dry hair?

Thank you for any help and greetings from Spain! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: Best way to use mens hair products with wet hair or dry hair?
Like you have found out the best way to style mens hair with products is with damp hair. That doesn't mean that you cannot style your hair with products when your hair is dry or wet. The one thing tho is that using hair products with dry hair is a recipe for a mess for guys with curly hair. The water acts as a lubricant for the hair product to spread better across the hair but too much water does the opposite. That's why damp hair is the best to style your hair with.

The only lads that can get away with styling dry hair are those with straight hair and wavy hair. Wavy hair not so much but straight hair is doable. I would still try to get your hair a little damp before styling but it's a fact that not everyone can do that when styling his hair. So if you don't have access to some water to dampen your hair or if you just can't be bothered, then styling straight hair when it's damp is fine.

For the curly guys I would try to dampen the curls. I have even seen a couple of our barbershop customers who have curly hair and carry around a small water spray to spray their curls with water whenever they need to restyle. Their students carrying backpacks while those guys who don't carry backpacks may find it tricky to carry a water spray. Well unless you have one of those man purses or whatever they are called.

Just to add that styling with products when the hair is soaking wet isn't a good idea. The only time when it can be a good idea is when you want to achieve the wet look effect. Even when you want that type of wet hairstyle look, your hair should not be soaked in water. It should be just a tad wetter than damp hair.
03-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Best hair styling for men is with damp hair, not with dry hair.
The best way to style your hair is when it's damp. This is for three reasons primarily:
  1. You get to retain moisture into the hair as you apply the hairstyling product (e.g. pomade). This then allows for a smoother and fuller look. Likewise, by trapping the moisture you're also battling any frizz or fuzz that your hair may have (this is extremely valuable for curly men).
  2. You provide lubrication to the hair strands, which then allows for the hairstyling product (e.g. pomade) to be better spread and also allows for your fingers/comb to run through the hair smoother than if the hair was dry.
  3. You use less hair product (thus saving money) as you can get the same hairstyling results with less product from the better spreading of the product.
All the above benefits are tamed when styling your hair dry. For curly men, it simply is counterproductive to style their hair when it's dry and instead curly hair should always be dampen before styling it!

Apart from the 3 benefits above, if you're intending to get a wet hair effect, then your hair must be damp, not dry nor too wet.

With all the above said, you can try styling your hair when it's dry, but just be aware of the benefits from damp styling that just aren't there sufficiently when styling dry hair. I'd also add that only men with straight hair can style their hair when it's dry and still get some benefit out of it. On the other hand, curly men should not style their curls when they're dry, no matter the situation.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-14-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: Best way to use mens hair products with wet hair or dry hair?
I must admit I'm not big on using products on my own hair, which leads me to wonder if the product I really want to exist actually does... but this seems like the perfect place to ask...

Pretty consistently my hair looks at its best damp. I like to wash, towel-dry, a quick comb into place and that's it, minimal fuss. But I'm getting increasingly annoyed with its willingness to "fluff" up as it dries (it's broadly straight), so it never stays where I put it, especially the sides. Most of the time throughout the day I end up pinning strands behind the arms of my glasses to keep them back.

What I really want, because I don't want to add any more time to my routine if I can possibly help it, is a spray which can be applied to damp/wet hair that, when dry, won't actually look like there's anything there, preferably still allowing the hair to move a bit without it turning into a complete mess if I dare step outside in the wind.

Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?
06-15-2015, 05:16 AM
How your hair dries is dependant upon your hair type and hair length.
Quote:Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

It's best that you start your own thread asking this and telling us about your hair typ and your hair length. If unsure, have a look at our hair type guide and our hair length guide for references on the ranges of hair types and hair lengths for men available. Hair type is specially important when looking at why your hair changes its own texture when it dries up.

Also, let us know you current hair products, since your history of product use will help us to know what hair products don't respond well to your hair profile (hair type and hair length, namely).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 78 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 60 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Which product makes thick hair not clump together? Zatem 0 88 11-11-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: Zatem
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,965 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123