Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best shaving brush? Opinions on Badger brush, synthetic etc
10-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Best shaving brush? Opinions on Badger brush, synthetic etc
Pretty much what the title says, what is the best shaving brush? Should you buy a badger brush? Synthetic instead? I have also heard of a boar brush. I thought boar was only for combing and brushing hair anyway.

Does anyone here have any tips on how to buy a shaving brush? or which are the best shaving brushes? I have seen the threads on razors and creams so it looks like we needed a thread on this one now Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 09:53 AM
RE: Best shaving brush? Opinions on Badger brush, synthetic etc
Getting a really close, comfortable, fantastic shave is something of an art form, and every great artist needs a great brush. Alas, not all shaving brushes are created equal.

Here are a few tips for buying a great first shaving brush, to help you perfect a good shave.

Type of Handle.

The first thing you'll consider when buying a shaving brush is its handle. The good news is that your criteria aren't complicated; if the handle feels right, it's fine. The material is usually synthetic, a plastic or nylon, but don't think of these synthetic materials as cheap or chintzy. The plastic brush handle will hold up to abuse, hold the hairs in properly, and will have a smooth feel, and will often last quite a bit longer than wood handles or other materials that break down when exposed to water once a day for long periods of time. Remember, you're looking to buy a shaving brush that will last a long time.

Type of Hair.

This is a point of contention for a lot of shaving enthusiasts, who argue endlessly about the best hair for a brush. You can usually buy synthetic hair, boar hair, or badger hair. We'll save some time by saying that badger hair is the best--synthetic hair won't hold water to get you a good lather, and boar hair breaks off and also simply doesn't work as well. There are a few classes of badger hair, and they're pure badger, best badger, and super badger, in order from least expensive to most expensive. Most shavers will be fine with a pure badger brush, so that's what you should look for. You're unlikely to notice a huge difference in the lather by buying the more expensive brushes, especially if this is your first shaving brush.

Testing the Brush.

It's a good idea to feel a brush that you're considering to see if it has a comfortable feel. Prickly brushes probably won't be great for your face, and they won't hold water extremely well, but a good, soft brush with good hair and a synthetic handle is a keeper. Prices range all over the place for shaving brushes, so unfortunately I can't tell you what a "good" or "bad" price is, but if you plan on spending about twenty bucks, you'll get a great product that will last a lot longer than a five to ten-bucks brush, so it's a better value in the long run.
10-17-2014, 11:24 AM
i remember very well how my grandfather had a badger shaving brush.
i thought the brush was simply called a badger just because... then i found that the name is because it is made from badger hair!! Confused but i gotta say the brush was so soft and gentle to spread the foam across the face, i tried it a couple of times from the shaving mug and sum leftover foam when i was a kid.
Time to get one! oh and here is the badger as in the animal... would make for a cool house pet

[Image: 800px-Badger-badger.jpg]
10-20-2014, 07:32 PM
"Best" is a pretty relative term. There are typically four kinds of shaving brush hair types: boar, badger, synthetic, and horse. Boar is inexpensive and many boar brushes are not made well (though there are some good ones). Badger has been the 'gold standard' for the last 100 years, but there are grades of badger hair that can dramatically effect performance. Synthetic has been a sub-par material until just the past few years: the latest generation, when you can find it, is excellent. Finally there are horse hair brushes. Horse hair fell out of favor around WWI after an anthrax scare, and are just now coming back to the market. Their performance is somewhere between boar and badger. I have a video about buying shaving brushes at youtu.be/jUNrp7HDpsI
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Straight Razor Shaving Unshorn 14 3,931 10-07-2016 11:08 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Wet shaving for acne prone, sensitive skin. PhoKingTasty 2 1,667 05-20-2016 06:49 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  Can we use aftershave after shaving hair on head? Vladimir 6 9,503 12-18-2015 07:20 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Organic shaving cream for men? Lordius 5 1,624 12-16-2015 09:50 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c