Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best shampoo for men? Advice from experts
03-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Best shampoo for men? Advice from experts
So guys and forum experts, which do you think is the best shampoo for men? ideally the best shampoos for dry hair, oily hair, curly hair, long hair and other the issues that we dudes encounter in our day to day. Can be more than one recommendation but really the ones that will work great and are worth buying over the range of scalp or hair issues that regular dudes can suffer from.

I did not yet see a discussion in the forum about this topic so wanted to ask this and hopefully get the recommendations for the experts here as many of us would sure love to hear what you have to say! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Best shampoo for men? Advice from experts
Stevens, that is certainly a good and interesting question although the range of mens shampoo types is surprisingly wide. We were planning on covering them with a guide coupled with our how to shampoo guide we already have, but since you have already asked the question, I think this is a good opportunity to cover the topic and shampoo recommendations.

Essentially, there are up to 9 types of shampoos for men:
  • Regular shampoo
  • Moisturizing shampoo
  • Shampoo for dry hair
  • Shampoo for oily hair
  • Anti dandruff shampoo
  • Hair thickening shampoo
  • Clarifying shampoo
  • Chelating shampoo
  • Hair loss shampoo
Most men are only aware of 2 or 3 of the types above, but it gives you an immense advantage to be aware of the full 9 shampoos for men, since you can combine them or use the less-known shampoos to get shampooing benefits that can seriously enhance your hair and hairstyles for good! Smile

For those who don't have the book yet, all the 9 shampoo types above are covered in great detail in The Men's Hair Book and in the book you will be able to learn how to use each of the shampoos according to your particular case. Furthermore you will be learning to develop your own customized hair grooming routine and learn how to insert the shampooing part of your routine into your daily grooming without taking away from your time or convenience. The book is golden and we highly recommend it in this forum as it really helps you to achieve great hair aesthetics.

Now that I have said the above, I would like to go through each of the shampoo types for men and give you some solid recommendations.

Regular

This is the kind of shampoo that is geared towards men without any additional hair grooming needs. If your hair is normal (i.e. not greasy or dry), then get a regular shampoo and buy the biggest bottle you can get (33.9 ounce/1 liter) so that you don't have to buy another bottle for months. An excellent regular shampoo to use is this one from AC.

Moisturizing

A moisturizing shampoo helps dry hair regain its gloss and aesthetics. If you have curly hair, your hair regularly feels lifeless or if you use a hair straightener or hair dryer frequently (more than 3 times per week), then use a good moisturizing shampoo. This particular one is among the best moisturizing shampoos.

For oily hair

A shampoo for oily hair is designed to control the excess sebum that some men overproduce. This type of mens shampoo is also great for summer when one is sweating more than usual. This one here is a great shampoo for oily hair.

For dry hair

Shampoos for dry hair are the equivalent of super charged moisturizing shampoos, and it will say in the product label that the shampoo is specifically for dry hair. Nonetheless, you can also use a moisturizing shampoo to combat dry hair.

A good shampoo for dry hair is the one I've also recommended in the link above as a moisturizing shampoo.

Anti dandruff

An anti dandruff shampoo is the best shampooing option for men who suffer from dandruff. The anti dandruff shampoo has to be used long term and regularly, especially when the dandruff gets bad. This one here is a premium anti dandruff shampoo with a blend of dandruff fighting ingredients that will keep the dandruff tamed and under control.

Hair thickening

A hair thickening shampoo artificially thickens the hair by swelling the hair shaft (structure of the hair) and by also depositing a fine layer on the shaft. The effect, however, is temporary and will last until you shampoo your hair again. For best effects and to enjoy thicker hair over the long term, simply make this particular shampoo your to-go hair thickening shampoo. The thickening shampoo in the link also comes with a thickening conditioner for a more optimal thickening effect. While still in the shower, simply apply the thickening conditioner to your hair for 2 minutes after using the thickening shampoo and once the 2 minutes are over, rinse the hair and you're done!.

If you are balding and/or thinning, you may also use minoxidil with the thickening shampoo to get the best aesthetic effects for your mane (do the shampooing and conditioning first, proceed to dry your hair and then apply the minoxidil on the scalp).

Clarifying

A clarifying shampoo is a "super cleansing" shampoo that is made to remove all accumulated product residue and dirt from your hair. The accumulation of product residue is very common among men as the short hair encourages the depositing of residue on the scalp, which can be quite difficult to remove with most shampoos except with clarifying shampoos.

Hair wax, petrolatum pomades and hair gel are the worst offender when it comes to leaving product residue on the hair (even though they are excellent styling products), and using a clarifying shampoo like this one that we recommend is a must for men who use styling waxes, pomades or gels. From my experience, 99% of men aren't aware of this little hair cleaning ally that a clarifying shampoos is and, by using this type of shampoo, your hair aesthetics will improve a lot. Use the recommended clarifying shampoo in the aforementioned link twice per month (very 2 weeks) while using any of the other types of shampoos for your frequent shampoo.

Chelating

A chelating shampoo is also a "super cleansing" shampoo in the likes of a clarifying shampoo. However, the main use and benefit of chelating shampoos is that they remove the mineral build up from showering/bathing with hard water. Hard water is water that contains a high mineral count (calcium and magnesium containing minerals). Chelating shampoos are really helpful for indoor swimmers (i.e. using swimming pools) so as to remove the pool's chlorine from the hair.

I highly recommend you to use a chelating shampoo like this high quality one if you live in hard-water areas or if you use a swimming pool at least twice per week. The chelating shampoo in the link should be used once every 2 weeks.

Hair loss

Hair loss shampoos do also exist and their goal is to aid in the battling of male pattern baldness (MPB). Hair loss shampoos contain several MPB fighting ingredients like tea tree oil, zinc or ketoconazole, and such shampoos for hair loss should be combined with minoxidil (see link earlier) for best results. A good hair loss shampoo for men is this specific one.

That is it Smile Pick one or more of the shampoos recommended above to regularly clean your hair and improve the aesthetics of your mane.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Agreed with what TheMensHairForum posted above. There are quite a few shampoos you can get so it is not just going to the supermarket and picking whatever product is on offer. Even the regular ones can be pretty rubbish as they price them very low for only a couple of quids.

Go with the list above and choose the one that closes in the most to your situation. Cannot go wrong with any of the shampoos listed above.
Cheers

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
so what about the best shampoo for black men... any special 1 you recommend??
04-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Hi Toulalan for the best shampoo for black men, I would say something that helps to keep the moisture in the curls and that is not very harsh or tough on the hair.
It also depends on how many hair products you use but if you are following The Curly Hair book from Rogelio you will be keeping it minimal so a moisturising shampoo will help a lot for your curls. Well this is actually assuming you have kinky curly hair as your hair type since that is the most common hair type for black men Smile

Btw in The Curly Hair book the curl type for kinky curly hair is type IV and V. In case you are using the curl type guide in the book to define your type. Cheers.
04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
(04-16-2014 06:46 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Hi Toulalan for the best shampoo for black men, I would say something that helps to keep the moisture in the curls and that is not very harsh or tough on the hair.
It also depends on how many hair products you use but if you are following The Curly Hair book from Rogelio you will be keeping it minimal so a moisturising shampoo will help a lot for your curls. Well this is actually assuming you have kinky curly hair as your hair type since that is the most common hair type for black men Smile

Btw in The Curly Hair book the curl type for kinky curly hair is type IV and V. In case you are using the curl type guide in the book to define your type. Cheers.

Like Bradley said above, Toulalan, some kind of moisturizing shampoo would be the best shampoo for black men (with kinky curly hair).

While Bradley doesn't know it, I do know from previous posts of yours (Toulalan) that you have kinky curly hair so, yes, a moisturizing shampoo would be the best product for you. I would specifically suggest this moisturizing shampoo for your kinks and coils as it will clean your scalp and hair while at the same time make sure to not dry out your hair too much since kinky curly hair needs the most moisture locking.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-16-2014, 09:13 PM
What about this Caffeine Shampoo from Germany, at the moment I'm to broke and have to use head and shouldersUndecided
04-17-2014, 03:06 PM
(04-16-2014 09:13 PM)herehair Wrote:  What about this Caffeine Shampoo from Germany, at the moment I'm to broke and have to use head and shouldersUndecided

Caffeine shampoo is based on "it looks good on paper but we don't know if it truly works" evidence. Caffeine is a very interesting compound since it "may" help with improving the health of thinning follicles (from male pattern baldness aka MPB) and it is also thought to increase overall quality of the hair strands. Even Rogelio, who is the kind of guy who is always skeptical of claims that are not based in solid research, does mention in The Men's Hair Book that caffeine (used topically i.e. in a shampoo) may have some benefit that we have yet to truly document.

I would say that, if you are thinning or losing hair via MPB, or if you're shedding too much hair, then trying a caffeine shampoo may be worth a try ONLY if you can afford it. However, caffeine shampoos are simple regular shampoos (as described in my list earlier in this post) with the added (potential) benefit of invigorating the hair follicles and directly benefiting the manufacturing of hair at the follicle.

As you have mentioned, caffeine shampoos can be expensive, but not all of them. This caffeine shampoo is quite affordable and in fact is about the same price of any good regular shampoo. It is a shampoo that we have listed as a product to try if suffering from male pattern baldness since the product is quite affordable and caffeine "may" enhance a hair loss regime (i.e. combined with minoxidil, zinc, exfoliating agents, optimal nutrition and supplements etc). Check out that caffeine shampoo I have posted in the link, it may be worth a try if you want to test a good shampoo with caffeine and see if it provides any benefits to you Smile (just make sure you buy 2 bottles since each bottle is only 180 mls or 6 ounces)

04-17-2014, 03:13 PM
(04-17-2014 03:06 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 09:13 PM)herehair Wrote:  What about this Caffeine Shampoo from Germany, at the moment I'm to broke and have to use head and shouldersUndecided

Caffeine shampoo is based on "it looks good on paper but we don't know if it truly works" evidence. Caffeine is a very interesting compound since it "may" help with improving the health of thinning follicles (from male pattern baldness aka MPB) and it is also thought to increase overall quality of the hair strands. Even Rogelio, who is the kind of guy who is always skeptical of claims that are not based in solid research, does mention in The Men's Hair Book that caffeine (used topically i.e. in a shampoo) may have some benefit that we have yet to truly document.

I would say that, if you are thinning or losing hair via MPB, or if you're shedding too much hair, then trying a caffeine shampoo may be worth a try ONLY if you can afford it. However, caffeine shampoos are simple regular shampoos (as described in my list earlier in this post) with the added (potential) benefit of invigorating the hair follicles and directly benefiting the manufacturing of hair at the follicle.

As you have mentioned, caffeine shampoos can be expensive, but not all of them. This caffeine shampoo is quite affordable and in fact is about the same price of any good regular shampoo. It is a shampoo that we have listed as a product to try if suffering from male pattern baldness since the product is quite affordable and caffeine "may" enhance a hair loss regime (i.e. combined with minoxidil, zinc, exfoliating agents, optimal nutrition and supplements etc). Check out that caffeine shampoo I have posted in the link, it may be worth a try if you want to test a good shampoo with caffeine and see if it provides any benefits to you Smile (just make sure you buy 2 bottles since each bottle is only 180 mls or 6 ounces)

Thanks for extra information about the Caffeine Shampoo, I didn't know that it could possibly stop male baldness, I might use it one day to, family members got receding hairlines, so it may come in handy one day.
06-08-2014, 01:38 AM
I didn't know some shampoos could potentially stop balding... I always thought surgery or something expensive was required.
06-08-2014, 09:21 AM
(06-08-2014 01:38 AM)marth Wrote:  I didn't know some shampoos could potentially stop balding... I always thought surgery or something expensive was required.

If used as part of a smart strategy, then yes, some shampoos as stated earlier can help with controlling male pattern baldness. They should not be thought of as magic potions though.

06-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Very useful and interesting thread!
Am I allowed to ask why you guys often advise this particular Paul Mitchell shampoo for volume? Why is it better than other brands/shampoos?
06-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Hi there
I am thinking of purchasing the American crew daily moisturising shampoo via amazon but I have looked at some of the amazon reviews on the product and have heard that they have changed the formula of it, and now it is not as good as to what it used to be. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on this forum here that would tell me what they think of it since the formula change or could recommend me something similar.

Thanks Very Much, greatbritain123
06-29-2014, 08:24 AM
what is everyones thoughts on wen? I see it's gotten a lot of solid reviews on amazon has anyone ever tried it?
06-29-2014, 09:27 AM
(06-28-2014 11:05 AM)greatbritain123 Wrote:  Hi there
I am thinking of purchasing the American crew daily moisturising shampoo via amazon but I have looked at some of the amazon reviews on the product and have heard that they have changed the formula of it, and now it is not as good as to what it used to be. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on this forum here that would tell me what they think of it since the formula change or could recommend me something similar.

We actually went through that issue in our best hair products discussion (click the link to read it, it's about half way down the page). We recommend several other mens shampoos on that page that are as good as the American Crew shampoo, for those of you who still not trust American Shampoo.

The issue seems to be that American Crew had to change their formulation to comply with a California law on ingredient labeling and use. People that were used to the former formula noticed the change in how the shampoo felt (but not on how the results it delivered, for the most part), while those who were new to the shampoo were fine with it. The most common complaint was that the shampoo felt more liquid and runny than viscous, and that the lathering wasn't as ample as the previous version (but, remember, lather doesn't equate to strength and results of a given shampoo!).

Still, there are plenty of other moisturizing shampoos for men that work just as good as the American Crew shampoo. Since you're in the United Kingdom, I highly recommend this shampoo here which will be shipped from the UK itself. It's just under 1 liter in quantity (32 ounces), so it will last you a good amount of time and the price is really good. Don't worry about the name of that shampoo, it's designed for human use! Smile

(06-29-2014 08:24 AM)kent10 Wrote:  what is everyone's thoughts on wen? I see it's gotten a lot of solid reviews on amazon has anyone ever tried it?

WEN (aka Wen) is good too and we have recommended this conditioner in the past in our hair-product-recommendation thread. However, they seem to have stopped their production of the conditioner that we used to recommend as of 2016, so, if you're looking for an even-better, high-quality conditioner that comes in a 33-oz amount (i.e. One liter), then check out this conditioner. You should be using a conditioner anyway after using a shampoo (for best hair aesthetics), so you may want to look into that conditioner in the link.

Only issue is that conditioners from WEN or from the one in the link above tend to be pricey, which is not necessarily a bad thing as high-quality ingredients cost money and you're also getting a 33-ounce bottle which will last you months. If you want to get the Wen shampoo or any of the shampoos that I've gone through in my earlier post above for the best shampoos in each of their categories, yet the conditioner that I've recommended in the paragraph shoots your order's cost too high for your budget, then, instead of buying the aforementioned conditioner, get this other conditioner that works real good too and is a pretty-good utilitarian conditioner for men's hair (i.e. you can use it anywhere and anytime). Great brand too.

06-29-2014, 12:27 PM
(06-29-2014 09:27 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 11:05 AM)greatbritain123 Wrote:  Hi there

We actually went through that issue in our best hair products discussion (click the link to read it, it's about half way down the page). We recommend several other mens shampoos on that page that are as good as the American Crew shampoo, for those of you who still not trust American Shampoo.

The issue seems to be that American Crew had to change their formulation to comply with a California law on ingredient labeling and use. People that were used to the former formula noticed the change in how the shampoo felt (but not on how the results it delivered, for the most part), while those who were new to the shampoo were fine with it. The most common complaint was that the shampoo felt more liquid and runny than viscous, and that the lathering wasn't as ample as the previous version (but, remember, lather doesn't equate to strength and results of a given shampoo!).

Still, there are plenty of other moisturizing shampoos for men that work just as good as the American Crew shampoo. Since you're in the United Kingdom, I highly recommend this shampoo here which will be shipped from the UK itself. It's just under 1 liter in quantity (32 ounces), so it will last you a good amount of time and the price is really good. Don't worry about the name of that shampoo, it's designed for human use! Smile

(06-29-2014 08:24 AM)kent10 Wrote:  what is everyone's thoughts on wen? I see it's gotten a lot of solid reviews on amazon has anyone ever tried it?

WEN (aka Wen) is good too and we have recommended this conditioner in the past in our hair-product-recommendation thread. However, they seem to have stopped their production of the conditioner that we used to recommend as of 2016, so, if you're looking for an even-better, high-quality conditioner that comes in a 33-oz amount (i.e. One liter), then check out this conditioner. You should be using a conditioner anyway after using a shampoo (for best hair aesthetics), so you may want to look into that conditioner in the link.

Only issue is that conditioners from WEN or from the one in the link above tend to be pricey, which is not necessarily a bad thing as high-quality ingredients cost money and you're also getting a 33-ounce bottle which will last you months. If you want to get the Wen shampoo or any of the shampoos that I've gone through in my earlier post above for the best shampoos in each of their categories, yet the conditioner that I've recommended in the paragraph shoots your order's cost too high for your budget, then, instead of buying the aforementioned conditioner, get this other conditioner that works real good too and is a pretty-good utilitarian conditioner for men's hair (i.e. you can use it anywhere and anytime). Great brand too.

Is the UK shampoo you suggested better than the American Crew shampoo? That's the one I have and I also have the Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner and use them every 2 days.
06-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks, my friend.
Just one more question about WEN, I'm sure you've seen WEN "Sixthirteen" (6-13) which has also gotten a lot of good reviews, what are your thoughts on this and is there much difference to the original WEN product?
06-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Thank you very much TMHF Smile
06-30-2014, 08:40 AM
(06-29-2014 10:35 PM)kent10 Wrote:  thanks tmhf,
Just one more question about wen, I'm sure you've seen wen "sixthirteen" which has also gotten a lot of good reviews, what are your thoughts on this and is there much difference to the original wen?

The Wen SixThirteen is sulfate free, which can be a good thing if you tend to get your scalp irritates or itchy when using regular shampoos (and if you aren't suffering from dandruff). It's a good shampoo for men, and it is in fact the second most sold shampoo on Amazon as you can check out here in the product's page.

If you don't have a lot of hair (i.e. either thick hair or a lot of it aka high density) and if your hair doesn't get greasy fast, then get the Wen SixThirteen shampoo. If, on the other hand, you have too much hair or you are constantly sweating or you naturally produce a lot of sebum, then go with the shampoos I mentioned in my earlier post or with the shampoos mentioned at the start of this discussion Smile

07-01-2014, 05:49 AM
I have fine hair Sad
Out of the curiosity what is the most sold shampoo on amazon?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------