Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best shampoo for guys with short buzz cut hair?
06-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Best shampoo for guys with short buzz cut hair?
Which shampoo is best for guys who have short, buzzed hair? My hair has a little dandruff if I don't wash it properly. Should I shampoo every other day? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Here is an extensive list of the best shampoos for buzz cut hair and for dandruff!
This is an interesting question that you posted at our Buzz Cut hairstyle guide and which I believe is worth posting in itself as a thread.

Shampoos for short hair:

Short buzzed hair is very convenient to look after and groom. When it comes to shampooing, you can shampoo every other day without any issues whatsoever as there's simply not enough hair length for residue and dirt to hold on to. Even with long hair, the issue of having dirty long hair (if not shampooing very frequently) is way overblown by those who have never tried method like the No Shampoo method from Rogelio Samson which have you dropping down your frequency of shampoo use.

So, with regards to your frequency of shampoo use, you will be fine with an every-other-day regimen.

Have a look at this list of some great shampoos for men which includes an excellent shampoo for each type of male hair care need. For men with short buzzed hair, simply choose the recommended shampoo in the list for the hair care need that you want to satisfy:
  • Regular shampoo
  • Moisturizing shampoo
  • Shampoo for dry hair
  • Shampoo for oily hair
If you're unsure with which shampoo to buy from the recommended ones above, then either go with the recommended regular shampoo or with the recommended moisturizing shampoo (whichever of the 2 shampoos fits your budget better). Both shampoos are wise purchases and they're the type of shampoos that go great for short buzz-cut hair.

Anti dandruff shampoos:

Now, when it comes to dandruff, it's best that you have two types of shampoo ready for you. Dandruff cannot be cured (never fall for any scams or snake oil promising that it can be cured) and dandruff is extremely common in both men and women (over 50% of men have dandruff).

Dandruff can get worse at times (usually during winter), so what you can do is have a mild anti dandruff shampoo that you use every other day for when your dandruff is not too heavy, and then you can have a stronger dandruff shampoo for those periods when your dandruff is getting heavy.

So, as per the method I've mentioned of having 2 anti dandruff shampoos ready for any differing periods of dandruff issues, I recommend that you go through this other linked list of the best anti dandruff shampoos for different dandruff problems and with different ingredients.

What I highly advise is that you grab the recommended "shampoo with zinc pyrithione" (listed as a link in the list) and the recommended "shampoo with coal tar" (also listed as a link in the list). Both of these shampoos are cheap enough to be able to buy them both at the same time so that you are ready for any dandruff issues (no matter how heavy they may be) year round!

Use the shampoo with zinc pyrithione as a regular shampoo, using it every other day (the famous "one day on and one day off" frequency from the No Shampoo method). The shampoo with zinc pyrithione is to be used when your dandruff is mild to moderate.

Use the shampoo with coal tar for those periods in which your dandruff worsens. Again, your an every-other-day frequency of use, alternating the shampoo with zinc pyrithione with the shampoo with coal tar. The following schedule works really well for most guys when they're suffering from heavy dandruff:
  • Monday: shampoo with coal tar.
  • Tuesday: no shampoo.
  • Wednesday: shampoo with zinc pyrithione.
  • Thursday: no shampoo.
  • Friday: shampoo with coal tar.
  • Saturday: no shampoo.
  • Sunday: shampoo with zinc pyrithione.
With the above schedule, you're using the shampoo with zinc pyrithione twice a week and the shampoo with coal tar twice a week too.

If you see that your dandruff is still causing you issues, then change one of the days with the shampoo with zinc pyrithione and use the shampoo with coal tar instead. In this case, you'd thus be using the shampoo with zinc pyrithione only once a week and the shampoo with coal tar 3 times per week.

Lastly, don't worry about the "coal tar" name of one of the two recommended anti-dandruff shampoos. Both shampoos are absolutely safe and they're manufactured by some of the best beauty-care companies in the world. There are other anti dandruff shampoos with even funkier ingredients, but try those 2 shampoos for now as they're both affordable and effective in most cases.

In the rare instance that you don't get your desired results, then let us know and I will recommend a stronger dandruff-shampoo combination.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-22-2015, 02:31 AM
RE: Best shampoo for guys with short buzz cut hair?
TMHF. Thanks! I wish I could of spiked my hair but I guess my hair is just to wavy to pull that look off. Now onto my situation...

I don't believe I have heavy dandruff. I don't even think it falls out of my head. The only time I did see this happen is when I went about 3 days with no shower and scratched my head and saw tiny flakes fall in front of my face. I do have a weird scalp "problem". If I scratch near my cow lick, I always get white rats on my nail. I'm guessing that's dandruff? I have to scratch a little hard to get it, it just sits there. Would you still recommend using 2 shampoos with my situation? I would really prefer to just stick with one but let me know.

I give myself a half or 1 all around and do it every month and half or so. My hair grows really fast and starts showing frizzy hairs after a few weeks. Would conditioner do anything for me if its short or is it pointless to use it? It gets to about this length after a month and week or so and I would love to maybe go 2 months or so in between haircuts to get that short look but due it being dry, frizzy, rough I always end up cutting it off.

[Image: tom-cruise-2r.jpg]
07-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Going from what you're saying I think that a shampoo for oily hair would work for you great. Since you will be having a buzz cut there is no need to make it complicated. There isn't enough hair bulk to encourage product residue buildup or sebum residue buildup. But if you're getting some signs of dandruff you may be producing too much sebum or have dandruff.

I would choose the shampoo for oily hair that you will see in the linked shampoo list recommended to you above. If not then just go with a simple Head and Shoulders shampoo which treats dandruff lightly and which also works for oily scalps. Here's again the list with the recommended shampoos:

The shampoo for oily hair is the one that will work the best. If not, you can always pick up the dandruff shampoo in that list or get a Head and Shoulders shampoo from Amazon which are cheap and work well for buzzed hair and buzz cuts.

The good news is that with short hair, even if you had dandruff it is very easy to treat with a shampoo like Had and Shoulders since you don't have any hair bulk that encourages the sebum to be deposited on the scalp and which is the 'food' of the dandruff fungus. So really you've got nothing to worry about and any f the shampoos I've mentioned and that have been recommended will work great and keep your hair and scalp healthy! Smile

Cheers, Elena.
07-09-2015, 10:17 PM
07-09-2015, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 11:25 PM by itsme39.)
I was on my Cell Phone earlier Big Grin

So, these are the shampoos that are being recommended for buzzed and short hair that still needs some dandruff control

I am currently using the Pura d'or Argan Oil Premium Organic Shampoo Scalp and Dandruff Treatment, 16 Ounce bottle every other day. I bought it when I grew my hair out and was attempting to spike it. Will I be fine if I only use the Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care, Almond Oil, Dandruff Shampoo 33.8 Fl Oz every other day?

Before I forget. Jurgen, a mod, actually recommended this Old Spice shampoo to me in another thread Huh I'm confused on which one to choose for short hair with slight dandruff!

Thanks again everyone

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is the best product for short/faded hairstyle? willhtun 1 296 07-21-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: willhtun
  Which anti-dandruff shampoo is best for volume? Dansercoer 0 263 03-30-2016 06:41 PM
Last Post: Dansercoer
  Thickening Shampoo for Oily Hair waystinthyme 0 250 03-25-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: waystinthyme
  Somewhere between short and long.. Explodey 0 288 11-14-2015 09:30 PM
Last Post: Explodey