Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best oil based pomades? Experts advice 5 1
Best oil based pomades? Experts advice
12-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Best oil based pomades? Experts advice
Hey I was wondering what are the best oil based pomades. I'm talking of the old version oil pomades but with better ingredients while still giving that neat classic look. I'm sure the oil based pomades from fifty years ago have been improved by now but the whole oil base foundation of the pomade is maintained.
I'm not looking for the newer water based pomades which I haven't had much luck with. I'm talking old style but with good aesthetics as far as oil based pomades go. Not just to use for older hairstyles but newer hairstyles too.

Any suggestions for what money can buy as far as the best oil based pomades are concerned?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2018, 12:05 PM
List of recommended oil based pomades for men's hair and barber advice on how to use.
Yes, there are horrible oil based pomades but there are some good ones too. Oil based pomades tend to use petrolatum which is fine so long as you know that you must start with a small dab when styling your hair and work from there. If you use a palm full of oil based pomade then you're going to know it, especially the next day!

Here are some pretty good oil based pomades. They are perfect for classic hairstyles but they will also work with newer men's hairstyles like you say. Just make sure you start with a single finger dab as a test and then add a coupe more dabs to see how much your hair needs.
  • See this one from Suavecito. We tend to recommend the water based pomades and products from Suavecito but they do a great job with their older-school oil based men's hair products. Try the one the link as I think you'll really like it. The shine is moderate with this one so it's a natural shine that the product gives you. Hold is medium to strong.
  • See this one here that has ben used by Elvis Presley and other actors from yesteryear. Hold is stronger and shine is medium. If you want more shine then use more of this pomade but bear in mind that the hold is pretty strong.
  • See this organic one which uses wax mainly so it's quite pliable. Reminds me of the older Bees Knees pomade which is no longer around. In small quantities that organic pomade in the link has a medium hold with a low shine, but the more you use, the more consistent the hold (stronger) and the higher the shine.
  • See this one for high shine and sheen. Good holding power. This one will give you a shine more pronounced than the other pomades linked above.
  • Last but not least, how could we forget about this one pomade that has shaped the quiffs, pompadours and side parts of millions of men with its oil/wax based formula. Great holding power, good shine, but this one is notorious for requiring a good shampooing at the end of the day. Just don't go crazy applying it and start slowly with the dabbing. It is recommended that you use a shampoo like this shampoo (preferably get two bottles instead of one) any time that you wan to wash off this aforementioned oil based pomade.
Really, you have a lot of top oil based pomades still available to you. Nothing wrong with preferring oil based pomades to the newer water based pomades. If anything, good oil based pomades like the ones I've listed provide a sheen to the hair that's very difficult to replicate by most water soluble pomades. Our older barbershop customers tend to prefer these oil based pomades as listed above to the more modern water soluble pomades. Also and in general, oil based pomades are cheaper than water based pomades.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I need your advice enzoo 0 422 03-24-2017 01:19 AM
Last Post: enzoo
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 795 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Need Advice On What Product To Use For Long Straight Hair chiefsfootball77 6 4,700 01-26-2016 05:51 PM
Last Post: tbcam88
  Blackship water based pomade by Flagship review Charms434 0 1,699 11-16-2015 01:34 PM
Last Post: Charms434