Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best hairstyles for short guys?
02-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Question Best hairstyles for short guys?
What would you say are the best hairstyles for short men? i have a friend who keeps asking me hairstyle questions ever since i got the brush up hairstyle, he will ask me stuff like, is the brush up is a good hairstyle for short dudes? because of the hair length in the brush up adding a couple inches and how it makes you look taller, i noticed that too and i'm 6'1 while he is 5'4

I have no idea what to answer so maybe you guys can help me with suggesting some mens hairstyles to him so he goes to the damn barbershop already and stops asking me questions all day long! Big Grin (.. semi serious... but interested in answers to give him)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2015, 07:05 AM
RE: Best hairstyles for short guys?
Good question mate. This is not an uncommon question by the way, I get it asked at all times by barbershop customers.

The best hairstyles for short guys will be vertical hairstyles. This is what gives the extra height illusion and you can reasonably 'grow' two more inches with the right hairstyle. The trick here is not to over do it because then it breaks the aesthetics of the hairstyle and it makes it look like your styling of the hair is to simply look taller.

Some good hairstyles for short men:
  • Brush up hairstyle.
  • Blowout hairstyle - same like the brush up hairstyle but with a temple fade haircut.
  • Messy hairstyle done with hair dryer - just tousle the hair with some styling wax and point a hairdryer to the hair that you're tousling.
  • Spikes or at least some kind of spiky hairstyle - no need to define and shape the spikes, just get the hair up with some hair gel like you would do with the brush up hairstyle.
  • Quiff hairstyle - very easy to do in seconds and with any styling wax.
  • Pompadour hairstyle or elephant's trunk hairstyle if you can keep the hair with volume on the top. Zayn Malik used to have this hairstyle cause he is only 5'7 or 170 centimetres tall.
  • Flat top which is similar to the brush up hairstyle but the flat top is even cut and styles. For black guys, the alternative to the flat top haircut is the high top fade haircut.
  • Volume side part - comb your hair to the side but keep the hair dryer blowing hot air into your hair as you part your hair with your fingers.
These hairstyles are great for short men. The hairstyles really do make you look taller. Any hairstyle in vertical length higher than 4 inches or 10 centimetres starts to look odd, although the high top fade for black guys tends to maintain the aesthetics at larger hair lengths.

So anywhere between 2 to 4 inches of vertical hair length is a good aim to look taller. Any of the mens hairstyles that I have listed will do that.
02-22-2015, 07:06 AM
Another thing that you must tell your friend or for any other guy who is short and wants a hairstyle to look taller, you must own a hair dryer. It has been said many times in this forum before but a hair dryer is one fantastic styling tool to achieve hair volume & vertical length that you just can't achieve with anything else, and that includes finger styling.

You mentioned in your brush up hairstyle thread that you already own a hair dryer so maybe recommend the same one to him as you have got some great results from it. Otherwise have him read the hair dryers thread.
02-22-2015, 03:30 PM
The best mens hairstyles for short guys are the vertical hair styles.
Great reply by Bradley as that's the main take-home message when styling hair for short men. The head on your head (scalp) can create different illusions, which help to correct certain physical aspects that one may not be happy with. Usually the hairstyles are used to balance out facial features (e.g. flared ears, receding hairline, forehead scar, upper made asymmetry etc but, in this case, hair styling can also be used to add a few inches to one's height.

When people look at you or make eye contact while talking, the elongation of you hair (if styled up) does contribute to your overall perceived height, as if the extra inches of the vertically styled hair were part of your head (which sounds a bit silly if it were real, but this is a proven illusion and trick for men of short stature!). It's all about taking advantage of this trick by making the height increase via the hair length subtle.

I would say that one or two inches of vertical hair length will work for anyone, but you may even get away with an extra inch of vertical hair styling. If you want to max out your perceived height with your hair, then grow your hair to about 4 or 5 inches long and use a strong-hold wax or styling gel to style your hair in a messy hairstyle by tousling the hair as you blow dry it with the hair dryer and using the wax or gel to style/tousle (like Bradley said, a hair dryer is an essential hairstyling tool for men, even if you aren't seeking to gain height with your hair).

A messy hairstyle works the best to maximize the height increase and not look overdone. Also, I recommend that you get a fast taper haircut, one that keeps the sides and back of your head clipped short, so the emphasis on your hair is directed towards the hair on the top of the head and thus the maximized perceived height increase Smile

To give you an idea of how this trick works really well: I've friends (and myself too) who are involved directly in an industry where height matters a lot (fashion), and you constantly see guys with vertical/volume hairstyles trying to hit the minimum height mark when they're an inch or two short of it. The hairstyles do make them look taller, but scouters know that anyone using those hairstyles under 6'1 is likely to be trying to fake it. Not that I agree with the whole height elitism in the fashion industry, but it's unfortunately the harsh reality.

Anyway, for those of you interested in knowing more about the recommended hairstyles for short men, I've placed forum guide links next to each of the listed hairstyles below. Click on them and read through each of the hair styles to learn more about them, and, remember, a hair dryer will help you a lot especially if you truly want to gain a couple of inches of perceived height through your hair styling!

(02-22-2015 07:05 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Good question mate. This is not an uncommon question by the way, I get it asked at all times by barbershop customers.

The best hairstyles for short guys will be vertical hairstyles. This is what gives the extra height illusion and you can reasonably 'grow' two more inches with the right hairstyle. The trick here is not to over do it because then it breaks the aesthetics of the hairstyle and it makes it look like your styling of the hair is to simply look taller.

Some good hairstyles for short men:
  • Brush up hairstyle.
  • Blowout hairstyle - same like the brush up hairstyle but with a temple fade haircut.
  • Messy hairstyle done with hair dryer - just tousle the hair with some styling wax and point a hairdryer to the hair that you're tousling.
  • Spikes or at least some kind of spiky hairstyle - no need to define and shape the spikes, just get the hair up with some hair gel like you would do with the brush up hairstyle.
  • Quiff hairstyle - very easy to do in seconds and with any styling wax.
  • Pompadour hairstyle or elephant's trunk hairstyle if you can keep the hair with volume on the top. Zayn Malik used to have this hairstyle cause he is only 5'7 or 170 centimetres tall.
  • Flat top which is similar to the brush up hairstyle but the flat top is even cut and styles. For black guys, the alternative to the flat top haircut is the high top fade haircut.
  • Volume side part - comb your hair to the side but keep the hair dryer blowing hot air into your hair as you part your hair with your fingers.

Do feel free to tell your friend to join the forum to ask any questions concerning gaining extra height with hairstyles, or feel free to keep us updated with how it goes with him Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I think you've gotten some great advice which it comes down to gaining height with your hair. I'm not experienced as the guys above but I can say that it makes a lot of sense and that I have seen it work for lots of guys. Just don't be one of those guys with a brush up hairstyle or something like liberty spikes measuring ten inches thinking that you will look taller. You will instead attract too many looks to your hair and people will notice what you're trying to do.

I'm wondering now what would be some good hairstyles for tall men? Big Grin I may start a new thread as I'm genuinely curious now on what hairstyles go well for tall guys. As for short men hairstyles, I think that's all you need to know and it's what I was going to advice too anyway.
02-28-2015, 06:59 AM
Yeah guys i told him about everything in this thread. He finally said to hell with it and is going to get a brush up hairstyle. Similar to the one i showed up in my other thread. The brush up hairstyle makes me look taller and its three inches of vertical length, the hair may be a bit taller but it's about that height.
I told him to join the forum cause the guy is asking me questions left and right all day long lol
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Salvaging a too-short cut aimsme 0 19 Today 12:40 PM
Last Post: aimsme
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 219 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 238 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  do you guys recommend a hairstyle for somebody with a patch on the side of their head kaylinm1 0 226 07-29-2016 11:02 AM
Last Post: kaylinm1