Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair?
03-26-2015, 06:13 AM
Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair?
Hi, I just posted about finding the best hair gel, so now I would like if possible to ask what is the best hairstyling wax for Asian men hair? By that I mean for thick super straight hair which is what I have and which all my family has and most Koreans I meet and other Far Eastern dudes. The main problem with our hair is that after a certain length it just doesn't hold up and drops down. It doesn't matter what hair product I use with holding power, my hair will drop after a couple of hours and won't last through the day.

I like the texture I get from some of the hair styling waxes that I have tried but none of them will keep my hair up through the day. I know I'm not the only Asian dude with this problem but most guys my age either have short hair or wear their hair down like in that funny bowl hairstyle.

So could you please let me know what's a good hairstyling wax for thick straight hair? Sorry to have posted two threads asking for different products but this issue of my hair dropping is annoying me and I'm thinking of cutting my hair much shorter just to be able to style my hair up again which I would rather not do. Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair?
You didn't mention what styling waxes you have used but a look at these Gatsby styling waxes which the guys have listed in that thread that opens in the link by order of holding strength and finish. I get confused since they go by colours so just click that link to see the list of styling waxes the mods put out with the strength hold of each wax and what textured finish they give your hair.

Also in another situation I would say something by Tigi which I've advised other lads in the past but I'm not sure how flat your hair stays with what waxes. Have a look at those Gatsby waxes in the link as I'm sure at least one of them will work really well for you as one of the listed waxes has a super strength hold for shaping hairstyles with straight hair. That would be perfect for you. Good thing also is that those waxes are called styling rubber because you can restyle your hair again during the day as many times as you want without having to apply the product again or having to wet your hair again.

Cheers
03-26-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm not from east-Asia, but I do also have very thick straight hair which can be hard to style. I have tried the TIGI wax that Bradley suggested and it's actually what I currently use. It works really well as long as your hair isn't completely dry. As Bradley also mentioned, I would look into Gatsby products, since I believe they are actually made for Asian hair.
03-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Hey dudes thanks for the replies!

I took some time to go through the rest of the threads in the forum talking about hairstyling waxes and I learned a lot more in that thirty minutes of reading than I have done for the couple of years that I have been using the internet as my source of information for everything including mens hair products. I swear you guys are saving money as I pay almost double the price for waxes and other hair products at the local store down where I live. I'm seeing styling wax at fourteen bucks, WTF? I pay over twenty bucks for the same at my local store LOL

So it turns out then that the Tigi and Gatsby waxes are the real deal. I went though the thread with the reviews of the Gatsby waxes I quoted below and it's pretty detailed, thanks for the suggestion of that thread as I've narrowed it down to the two that I want. Also thanks for mentioning that Tigi wax as I seemed to have missed the recommendations in the forum the first time I visited the forum although I admit I only spent a couple of minutes quickly skimming the forum before posting the thread LOL

So I've decided for my first shopping online of styling waxes to get two of the Gatsby waxes and the Tigi wax. The two Gatsby waxes are the ones with the strong hold that were recommended in that thread while the Tigi wax is the matte one that comes in that black tub. I'm also tempted to add another Gatsby wax for casual hairstyles instead of shaping, I mean just the colorful tubs make it worth buying the product itself!

What about something like the American Crew fiber? I hear it's good for casual hairstyles and at this time I'm thinking of just getting something that has an average hold for hairstyling but still enough to shape straight hair. It would be that or the Gatsby wax listed for casual hairstyles in the thread below. Thoughts? Thanks again!

(03-26-2015 12:46 PM)Bradley Wrote:  You didn't mention what styling waxes you have used but a look at these Gatsby styling waxes which the guys have listed in that thread that opens in the link by order of holding strength and finish. I get confused since they go by colours so just click that link to see the list of styling waxes the mods put out with the strength hold of each wax and what textured finish they give your hair.
03-29-2015, 08:42 PM
I've tried American Crew Fiber and it wasn't my favorite product. It's not bad, but it's not something I would recommend. It was hard to emulsify in your hands, and it was hard to wash off your hands. The product itself wasn't anything special either. I believe it's advertised as having a high hold, but it's closer to a medium hold when I used it in my hair. It did have the very matte finish it advertises. One positive I did remember about it was the fragrance wasn't too bad. Overall, it's not a bad product as I said, but it's not something I would buy again. I think you would be better off going with the TIGI wax or the Gatsby wax. I've personally used the TIGI wax and it's just an overall better product.
03-30-2015, 02:22 PM
(03-29-2015 08:42 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  I've tried American Crew Fiber and it wasn't my favorite product. It's not bad, but it's not something I would recommend. It was hard to emulsify in your hands, and it was hard to wash off your hands. The product itself wasn't anything special either. I believe it's advertised as having a high hold, but it's closer to a medium hold when I used it in my hair. It did have the very matte finish it advertises. One positive I did remember about it was the fragrance wasn't too bad. Overall, it's not a bad product as I said, but it's not something I would buy again. I think you would be better off going with the TIGI wax or the Gatsby wax. I've personally used the TIGI wax and it's just an overall better product.

I had a similar experience with the American Crew fiber. Depending on where you get it, it will state on the label itself that the hold is indeed a medium hold (if the label of the American crew fiber doesn't state it because the tub uses a slightly different sticker, then assume that it's a medium-hold styling fiber).

Since the American Crew molding fiber was a styling fiber wax, I was hoping to get more holding power than what it provided. I've used other medium hold fiber waxes, and they had a superior hold to the American Crew fiber, even though they're all labeled as medium hold. Don't get me wrong, the American fiber wax is good for messy hairstyles but not for really vertical hairstyles and shaping from my experience.

Considering that you want a strong hold, then you are better off skipping the American Crew fiber wax and getting either the Gatsby wax or the Tigi wax. I think it was Bradley in this thread who posted a link to a thread where there is a good discussion on the Gatsby hair waxes. The discussion covers the moving rubber waxes and there are two there that will work really well for what you need, so have a look at that thread Bradley posted in his reply.

If you'r wondering which Tigi hair wax it is, it's the bed-head wax in this sticky thread under the section for hair wax. It's one of the main styling waxes that many of us forum members use in the forum as it's good, cheap and the seller who carries the product which the mods in the forum recommend delivers it fast and is reliable (and from Amazon too so you've got peace of mind and know nothing can go wrong with your order).
08-03-2015, 12:53 AM
I'm suffering/facing the same problem that you do as i'm from Asia and i have the most stubborn hair ever. I have used the Gatsby hairstyling waxes (gray and green) and the TIGI hair wax Undecided. For the Gatsby hair waxes, the two that i have used just don't do the work. They could style my hair, so i really doubt if i want to give other Gatsby's hair products a tryHuh. The TIGI hair wax is a pricy product, it's good (at least compared to the Gatsby hair wax) since it can hold my hair for a moment but then, after a while, my hair falls back to the same format which is something that i really don't want to.

I'm thinking of using hair gel, even though i don't want to since i prefer a natural/non-shining look and i don't like the oily feeling of hair gel whenever i touch my hair.

Could anyone recommend other men's hair wax products for Asian hair please?? Smile
04-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Have you guys tried Cibu - Sticky Rice Pomade?
It works on my straight short Asian hair very well.
Although I am going to try out other products like Bed Head matte separation soon.
11-07-2016, 11:30 PM
(04-16-2016 08:27 PM)livefree Wrote:  Have you guys tried Cibu - Sticky Rice Pomade?
It works on my straight short Asian hair very well.
Although I am going to try out other products like Bed Head matte separation soon.

I've tried Bed Head Matte Separation and I found it does work alright for messy styles that don't need to much hold. But, in order to style my slick back I've had to change to pomades to keep everything in place. I don't like the wet look too much so I use Layrite on dry hair.

What kind of hairstyles do you guys have?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 444 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8
  Styling cream DaHansan 0 258 08-14-2016 04:53 AM
Last Post: DaHansan
  What styling hair products Jax Teller uses (Charlie Hunnam)? SAMCRO 11 40,097 07-19-2016 08:21 AM
Last Post: beardlover
  Volumizing hair mousse or product for styling thin hair? 92GTA 2 541 06-15-2016 08:12 PM
Last Post: 92GTA