Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best hair straighteners for men?
06-26-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Best hair straighteners for men?
Thanks Smile

I was referring to this product:

"Big Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing"

what are your thoughts on that by the way? I would have to spray the heat mist on after that I presume?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Oh, are you talking of this volumizing mist from Big Sexy Hair? If so, then that itself is enough as a hairstyling product, no need for a hair wax or any other product to style the hair. You spray some heat tamer, straighten the hair, then style with the volumizing mist.

When it comes to volumizing hair products, we recommend this hair mousse which is also from Big Sexy Hair and that works very well to gain volume on your hair. In fact, hair mousse as an actual product is the product to use to gain natural volume. The volume won't be radically huge, but it will accentuate your hair in a very positive way, especially if you have fine hair or a low hair density (or are in the early stages of male pattern baldness).

Definitively get either the mist or hair mousse in the links above. As an extra tip, you will get even more volume by using a hair dryer when styling with the mist/mousse, although don't over-complicate it for now, and simply get working with the hair straightener (easy to use) and with styling with the volumizing product. Once you are happy with the results, consider buying a good hair dryer by visiting our hair dryers thread where we recommend the best hair dryers for men (factoring in the price of each). Even if you have a hair dryer, do consider (or ask) about getting a new dryer as most hair dryers are pretty rats Big Grin

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-27-2014, 12:27 AM
so helpful tmhf Big Grin
so you would recommend the above 2 big sexy products over their Big Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing Gel?

As I was tossing up between the mist,mousse or blow dry gel

What do you guys also think of GHD straighteners
I've checked out the suggestions on page 1 and I want to get the babyliss one but pretty much none of them are available in australia Sad
09-13-2014, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 06:08 AM by MetalTwigs.)
Hi Mods,

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Just wanted to find out more on hair straighteners relating to Asian men's hair.

I'm an 'I' under the ISEZ guide. Relatively straight but displays natural waves after it goes to 3 inches. However, it's dry, heavy volume, and it has stubborn roots that and be out of control when it grows longer.

I've tried hair clippers before, but they are usually make my hair dryer than before. In fact, it feels a bit like Fido Dido's hair after (but in massive amounts). It never seems to be perfectly straight, the way you have shown in "Thread-Justin-Timberlake-hairstyles-with-Curls-and-with-Straight-Hair".

Would you have any advice on this, and also is there is a straightener from your recommendation that you'd suggest for this case?

Best,
MTwiggs
09-13-2014, 03:22 PM
(09-13-2014 06:06 AM)MetalTwigs Wrote:  Hi Mods,

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Just wanted to find out more on hair straighteners relating to Asian men's hair.

I'm an 'I' under the ISEZ guide. Relatively straight but displays natural waves after it goes to 3 inches. However, it's dry, heavy volume, and it has stubborn roots that and be out of control when it grows longer.

I've tried hair clippers before, but they are usually make my hair dryer than before. In fact, it feels a bit like Fido Dido's hair after (but in massive amounts). It never seems to be perfectly straight, the way you have shown in "Thread-Justin-Timberlake-hairstyles-with-Curls-and-with-Straight-Hair".

Would you have any advice on this, and also is there is a straightener from your recommendation that you'd suggest for this case?

Best,
MTwiggs

Are you using a product to protect against heat damage? they go by several names but the name 'heat tamer' is the one they usually use in this forum and in shops. The concept of a heat tamer is to protect the hair from the heat as it can damage the structure of the hair and to also improve the texture of the hair after straightening it so it looks more polished. It looks like the polished texture is something you are lacking with regards to texture after using the hair straightener from what you have mentioned.

Heat tamers are pretty cheap too. There have been some mentioned in this thread already. Are you using a heat tamer and are you using it before using the hair straightener?
09-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Hey Sunset,

Thanks for the response!
Okay, I see where my confusion lies now with regard to heat tamer and straighteners. No, I'm not using a tamer now. Let me get one and I'll see how it works for me. Could share the experience with you guys after.

Cheers,
MTwiggs!

(09-13-2014 03:22 PM)Sunset Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 06:06 AM)MetalTwigs Wrote:  Hi Mods,

Best,
MTwiggs

Are you using a product to protect against heat damage? they go by several names but the name 'heat tamer' is the one they usually use in this forum and in shops. The concept of a heat tamer is to protect the hair from the heat as it can damage the structure of the hair and to also improve the texture of the hair after straightening it so it looks more polished. It looks like the polished texture is something you are lacking with regards to texture after using the hair straightener from what you have mentioned.

Heat tamers are pretty cheap too. There have been some mentioned in this thread already. Are you using a heat tamer and are you using it before using the hair straightener?
10-31-2014, 10:36 PM
I love my hair straightener. I bought one from the Herstyler kiosk in the mall.
11-16-2014, 07:51 AM
(05-28-2013 06:53 PM)James Wrote:  I'm on the look out for a hair straightener as I'm considering growing my wavy hair and I'd like to try hairstyles for straight hair too. Since it will be taking me a couple of months to get enough length, I want to start researching for a good hair straightener to buy.
I have read here that the CHI (farouk?) straightener is a decent one and I would appreciate some more suggestions guys Wink

I search through patents as a freelancer and so when I wanted to purchase a new styling iron/straightener I did a great deal of desk research and this led me to list the following points to use as a check list. I eventually chose to purchase my Spiderman G3 Salon Pro hair styling iron/straightener:
• That the plates were 100% tourmaline ceramic plates.
• If the plates were colored e.g. red, blue, gold, it has been treated, these they may look nice but they
are for show and they are not good for your hair, so stay away from them.
• Look for a plate that is ceramic or metal in looks.
• Ceramic Plates are usually white or yellowish in color. These plates are
good but they are older technology from around 2002. Many companies
still use these as it is cheaper to manufacture than a tourmaline
ceramic plate. Be careful some use an aluminum plate with ceramic
coating, if you buy ceramic make sure it is 100% pure ceramic.
• Titanium Plates – Usually Gun Metal Grey color – these are great plates and
provide great results. Similar in quality to Tourmaline Ceramic but work differently with different hair types. Ask your hairdresser to type your hair before choosing.
• Tourmaline Ceramic – Gun Metal Grey in color – These are currently
the best plates on the market.
Other features to look for:
• • Variable Temperature Control (If you have thick hair make sure it
heats up to at least 420ºF)
• Swivel Cord
• At least a 3 year warranty (most hair straighteners will die in the
first year or two)
• If you travel then make sure its dual voltage
• Floating plates, you can check this by asking the supplier or if you have access to the styling iron by pressing on either side of the
plate and it should move. All salon professional irons will have this.
• Auto shut off, the last thing you want is to start a fire or cause
damage to your home or salon because you left the iron on, make sure
it has a safety auto shut off feature.
• Make sure it has a 3 meter or 10 foot cord, anything shorter will be hard to work with.
12-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Here is another of my favourite flat irons, the Conair Infiniti Nano Silver Steam flat iron. This one a couple of years ago was an expensive flat iron but these days you can find it at some good prices and it's a good flat iron to buy for guys.

The Conair Infiniti Nano Silver Steam flat iron has plates that are coated with Tourmaline ceramic that is supposed to ease your hair through without causing damage. It also has a comb like attachment that helps detangle knots as you straighten.

The removable water reservoir gives you steam on demand for up to 20 minutes. If you have medium length or thick hair than you will need to refill this tank while using it. This might cause an inconvenience, but it is something that other brands might not offer. The steam is supposed to moisturize your hair while you straighten.

It does take a lot of patience to work with this though. It takes quite a while to achieve perfectly straight hair with any hair straightener. For many hair types, you will need to work slowly and use a lot of steam for long lasting results.

Of course, since this product works on all hair types, the time it takes will depend on the thickness and length, but it can work on even the most course or thick hair. On Amazon it has this styling tool as one of the best selling and it is probably because it minimizes heat damage and seems to really condition as it works. It also is a pretty sleek looking tool, it's red and the plates are black. The plates also are coated with nano silver.

Some of the downfalls of this styling tool is that it is heavier than some and when you are straightening your hair for some time you might not want something so heavy. Of course having water in it makes it heavier than some models that don't offer this option.

You also need to be careful when laying this down as you comb or section out the rest of your hair. Perhaps it seems to tip over because it is quite heavy. So you need to be careful when resting this on your countertops. You certainly don't want them to burn or something to catch on fire.

When you think of Conair, you think affordable. In fact most of their flat irons are quite affordable regardless. A couple of years back I would have said that the Conair Infinity Nano Steam flat iron wasn't worth it for that price but at the prices I have seen at places like Amazon or Ebay it is now a good purchase.

For those of you guys who straighten their hair on a daily basis, you will do pretty well with the Conair Infiniti Nano Silver Steam flat iron. It's more of a heavy duty iron that will take a good beating and last you longer than the cheaper range of flat irons from Conair or other brands.
12-30-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2014 03:00 PM by Qnzkid92.)
Well after reading through the thread and looking at many of the suggestions from the board, I'm stuck trying to pick between which straightener to get. Since my hair curls after a certain length, I've decided to get a straightener to open up my hair to new styles. I'm deciding between:

1) Cricket Titanium Tourmaline No. 450

2) BabylissPro Nano Titanium 1 inch

I also saw Babyliss has a half inch Nano Titanium but I don't know if any of the guys here have any experience with it.

I also saw a thermal styling brush that looked very interesting, the FHI Thermal Styling Brush.

I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread, as a guy that knows pretty much nothing about this stuff it's been a great help. Excuse the long link, I don't have the necessary number of posts to post hyperlinks yet. Which should I get?

Big Grin

Mod edit: Please read the rules with regards to posting links.
12-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Choose the BabyLissPro hair straightener.
(12-30-2014 02:59 PM)Qnzkid92 Wrote:  Well after reading through the thread and looking at many of the suggestions from the board, I'm stuck trying to pick between which straightener to get. Since my hair curls after a certain length, I've decided to get a straightener to open up my hair to new styles. I'm deciding between:

1) Cricket Titanium Tourmaline No. 450

2) BabylissPro Nano Titanium 1 inch

I also saw Babyliss has a half inch Nano Titanium but I don't know if any of the guys here have any experience with it.

I also saw a thermal styling brush that looked very interesting, the FHI Thermal Styling Brush.

I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread, as a guy that knows pretty much nothing about this stuff it's been a great help. Excuse the long link, I don't have the necessary number of posts to post hyperlinks yet. Which should I get?

Big Grin

Go with the BabyLiss hair straightener, THIS hair straightener here from BabyLiss is an excellent one for men. It's one inch wide and a high quality one. Great choice and the vendor in the link is really good too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-20-2016, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2016 10:16 AM by Chrisis.)
hello guys, first time post here although been watching this helpful forum long time ago Shy soo i have a couple of questions (i guess is better not to make a new thread) !
I have very short hair on sides, and short (maybe short to medium) on top wavy/curly. I'm trying to find a 1/2" hair straightener but don't know which one is the best.

1. Do u suggest any good one 1/2" hair straightener ?

2. If not then i have to go with 1" straightener , i see most of u guys suggest the BaByliss Pro BABNT3072 Nano Titanium. But i read that titanium straighteners if u don't use them correctly can make more damage to ur hair, so is a ceramic tourmaline better one ?

3. What is ur opinion about HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron ? Is best seller in amazon.

4. What is the best product to use for styling, after u straight ur hair with iron ? so not to get curly because of the styling product (like when u use gel, hair becomes curly).

Thanks Big Grin

P.s. Unfortunately i can't post clickable links yet.
05-10-2017, 08:30 AM
I am using an electric hair straightener for hair styling and makeover.
07-29-2017, 03:36 AM
Haven't got any good straighteners yet. Need some more good advice.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top hair straighteners for men - List of Ionic flat irons Sunset 3 3,795 03-28-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: Curly Dude