Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best hair straighteners for men?
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Best hair straighteners for men?
I'm on the look out for a hair straightener as I'm considering growing my wavy hair and I'd like to try hairstyles for straight hair too. Since it will be taking me a couple of months to get enough length, I want to start researching for a good hair straightener to buy.
I have read here that the CHI (farouk?) straightener is a decent one and I would appreciate some more suggestions guys Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2013, 08:35 PM
RE: Best hair straighteners for men?
Hey James this is a pretty good question. Owning a hair straightener (aka flat iron) is an excellent choice for those men who want to have the greatest range of hairstyles. Generally, if the guys at The Men's Hair Shop are selling it, it's because it's good (the owners work in the men's hair field), and I personally know these three below, you cannot go wrong with them:

Farouk CHI 1 Inch Ceramic Flat Hairstyling Iron

Remington S5500 Digital Anti Static 1 Inch Ceramic Hair Straightener

Iso Beauty Ultra Ceramic Hair Straightener Flat Iron by ISO Beauty

If you have plenty of cash to spend on, get a hair straightener with titanium plates instead of ceramic like this one (which I too have used and is my favorite):

BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch

The above BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium hair straightener is super lasting, gets the straightening job done faster and much better, minimizes any damage to the hair from the heat of the plates and this titanium-based hair straightener favorite. The other three irons above are pretty good too considering the price points so adjust your choice to your budget and whether you're willing to invest in high quality for long term (BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium) or whether you prefer an economical product for now that will not last you as long. Regardless of which one you choose, give one of them a try and keep us posted on how it works with you Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Those are some good flat irons you posted TMHF. So is The Men's Hair Shop carrying the Farouk chi??
05-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Jurgen, yes they are.

You made up your mind James?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
The hair straighteners suggested by TheMensHairForum above are among the best value no doubts, the ceramic ones listed are the best. If you have the money to spare and really wanna get the best hair straightener money can get, then get a tourmaline hair straightener with titanium plates or at least tourmaline with ceramic plates. The one suggested by TheMensHairForum (BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1") is great and the ones below are also top tier hair straighteners

FHI Heat Platform 1 Inch Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Styling Iron with Nano-Fuzeion Technology
Cricket Titanium Tourmaline No. 450 Flat Iron

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-06-2013, 07:11 AM
I agree with the titanium plates for the best hair straighteners; titanium plates heat up the fastest and give a better control of the temperature. Mind you, ceramic plates are still pretty good, but don't get a hair straightener that doesn't have plates made up of ceramic or titanium (if you're looking for quality, that is).

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
(05-28-2013 08:35 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  If you have plenty of cash to spend on, get a hair straightener with titanium plates instead of ceramic like this one (which I too have used and is my favorite):

BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch

Reading this titanium plate hair straightener, it looks like one I could really use as Im on the hunt for a straightener that will last very long and the price of that babyliss one is very acceptable.
06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Then Alex the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch hair straightener is your best option if you want durability and high quality.

07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
In terms of performance:

The best ones are: Sedu, Kenta, Solia, Infrashine, Ghd. These are top of the line professional brands. You can use them any one of them. All are nice.
01-28-2014, 06:09 PM
What about for those in other countries (i.e. Australia) ?
I'd really like to get the Babyliss PRO Nano Titanium 1" however there's 2 problems
1) Availability, Amazon won't post it here and everything on eBay ends up being over $160 with postage
2) Voltage. As I understand it is only a 110/120v appliance? thus I need a transformer which adds another $40 or so to the cost, making it a $200 appliance

Thats not the sort of money I want to spend, and I'm sure if I were there would be better ones for that sort of money?
01-29-2014, 05:49 AM
(01-28-2014 06:09 PM)Millenium7 Wrote:  What about for those in other countries (i.e. Australia) ?
I'd really like to get the Babyliss PRO Nano Titanium 1" however there's 2 problems
1) Availability, Amazon won't post it here and everything on eBay ends up being over $160 with postage
2) Voltage. As I understand it is only a 110/120v appliance? thus I need a transformer which adds another $40 or so to the cost, making it a $200 appliance

Thats not the sort of money I want to spend, and I'm sure if I were there would be better ones for that sort of money?

Amazon is the best place to buy hair products online without a doubt, even if you have to get the items shipped from USA or UK to Australia or any European country.

What I recommend is getting the hair straightener from Amazon UK as the United Kingdom does use 230 V in residential areas, just like Australia (they also use the same frequency, 50Hz). You can check the voltage of each country in this Wikipedia article. Theoretically, if the item in Amazon UK doesn't mention that a transformer is needed, it will work without any issue in the UK and thus Australia.

I have seen products, including flat irons, in the UK that state that a transformer is needed, but this flat iron from Babyliss doesn't need a transformer, has great reviews, is a really good straightener and I'm fairly certain that it will ship to Australia. Real good price and even with shipping, it will cost you far less than $160 for sure.

02-16-2014, 03:35 AM
I ended up purchasing 'BaByliss Pro XPT Ceramic Titanium Hair Straightener Iron (Black) BAB3072A
As it seems the most viable, it looks pretty damn close to the titanium except its black. Not sure if its the same product

However i'm getting rubbish results with it, my hair is very thick and very untameable. No matter what hair products i've used it always goes to rats after a matter of minutes, maybe an hour or 2 if i'm lucky. Humidity here is also very high which makes it hard
I've never used a straightener before so maybe i'm not doing it right, but even on maximum it just doesn't seem to straighten all that well and doesn't last long.
02-16-2014, 04:13 AM
(02-16-2014 03:35 AM)Millenium7 Wrote:  I ended up purchasing 'BaByliss Pro XPT Ceramic Titanium Hair Straightener Iron (Black) BAB3072A' (seriously? I can't post links? this forum is VERY strict.....)
As it seems the most viable, it looks pretty damn close to the titanium except its black. Not sure if its the same product

However i'm getting rubbish results with it, my hair is very thick and very untameable. No matter what hair products i've used it always goes to ***** after a matter of minutes, maybe an hour or 2 if i'm lucky. Humidity here is also very high which makes it hard
I've never used a straightener before so maybe i'm not doing it right, but even on maximum it just doesn't seem to straighten all that well and doesn't last long.

Are you doing it when your hair is mildly damp? And with your hair without any hair product on?

Are you inserting several locks of hair carefully? Do not just clip your hair randomly, only a couple of locks (bunch of hair strands) should be used per clipping to straighten.

What hair products are you using AFTER the straightening?

You have got a good hair straightener, so at least rest assured you made a good purchasing decision and have a good tool in your hands.

Also, if you live in a humid place, you may look into buying a heat tamer like this one that protects somewhat against the humidity, and can make the straightening experience. Let me know if you're are in the UK and I'll ask Barber (UK mod) to get a good source for it. In fact, while optional, I think a heat tamer is essential for a better experience, but that's an accessory and means more money to spend.

02-16-2014, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 05:12 AM by Millenium7.)
I live in Australia. The US postal service has some of the highest international postal rates and is often up to 10x more expensive than most other countries. The UK is not too bad so if there's a supplier that can post to Australia that will work, often its cheaper to buy from there. However if I can get it at a competitive price here then I will as its sometimes quicker (yes only sometimes Undecided)

Humidity here is always at least 70% so the frizz is just terrible. At the moment my hair is collar length but i'll be cutting it as i'm going for some job interviews and feel it needs to be shorter and better managed in an I.T. environment.
My hair is fluffy on the sides (just near the ear) and at the back so those area's stick out like crazy after a few minutes/hours and just look ridiculous when the rest is tied back
I've probably been doing it wrong, I grab fair sized sections of it, there's so much it would take forever if i'm only doing very small sections. It's very dense and quite thick. Whenever I read labels on 'super extra maximus strength hold' I think yeah right cause nothing can keep it in check for very long
And no I straighten it dry (or as dry as I can get it) and usually without any product in it. Still new to this
06-23-2014, 07:41 AM
do you guys still recommend the same things for fine strawy asian male hair?
06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes mate, you will be good to go with it too if you have fine or thin hair. Just make sure to get the heat tamer that TheMensHairForum recommends a couple of posts above. Just spray some of the heat tamer on your hair before using the straightener.

06-24-2014, 10:47 PM
can anyone recommend a good heat protecting mist? is it an absolute must to spray this before using the straightener? especially for fine hair?
06-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Kent, if you have fine or thin hair, then, yes, you should be using a heat tamer aka heat protecting product. Thin hair has less cross-sectional surface and thus gets heated very fast, so you don't want tot risk it and always use a heat tamer as you may very well burn your hair.

The good thing about heat tamers is that they will hold your hair straightening effect for far longer than without using the heat tamer, meaning that you get to style cooler hairstyles. A heat tamer will also provide extra gloss to your hair, making the hair straightening effect even more accentuated. Those two advantages, plus the fact that you will avoid frying your hair with the heat tamer, make the use of a high-quality heat tamer an almost "must" when it comes to straightening your hair as a male.

For a good heat tamer, go with this one here. It's very affordable, lasts long, improves the texture of your hair and women love the product as it is (that's always a good sign since having fried hair is one of the worst things a woman could have happening to her Wink).

06-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks TMHF, how much is one to spray of this stuff?
so now I have to put blow dry volumizer, heat protector, then wax/cream then hair spray...jesus that is a lot of product Confused
06-26-2014, 07:24 AM
(06-25-2014 09:57 PM)kent10 Wrote:  Thanks TMHF, how much is one to spray of this stuff?
so now I have to put blow dry volumizer, heat protector, then wax/cream then hair spray...jesus that is a lot of product Confused

Wait, are you using a blow dryer? Or just using the straightener? My answer is for a hair straightener, which in this case would have its process like this:
  1. Spray some of the heat tamer on your damp hair (dried after a shower, for example). Just 8-10 quick sprays, enough to leave a thin layer of the product of your locks. This should take you 30 seconds.
  2. Use the hair straightener on the locks you want to straighten (or all your hair if you want to straighten it).
  3. Use the hairstyling product of your choice such as wax, pomade, styling cream etc. If you want to use hair spray, then that's up to you, but it is not needed at all.Usually yo want to use hair spray for hairstyles that have your hair standing up with a long length (think 6 inches and further). But for regular mens hairstyles, hair spray is just an extra and not really needed.
The process is very easy as well as fast, except for the actual straightening of your hair, but that's because your hair requires a couple of seconds to straighten when it is clipped into the hair straightener and being heated (the exact time comes in the instructions of the straightener and will vary according to heat temperature used and your hair's unique characteristics). You can't rush the actual heating of the hair, but for male hair, the process should only take you a few minutes once you get enough practice with the iron.

Let me know if the above isn't clear.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top hair straighteners for men - List of Ionic flat irons Sunset 3 3,078 03-28-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: Curly Dude