Twitter

[-]
Follow Us on Facebook!

[-]
Follow Us on Google!

[-]
Recent Posts
Help with styling
Weird that you've tried the different styling agents and still cannot get the . . .Crumbling — 09:13 AM
Help with styling
hmm i think u may try to use hair spray product after applying wax to ur hair si . . .Crumbling — 09:06 AM
Is this an undercut?
Learned something new today... I had something like that 4 months agoKikeMartinG — 08:13 AM

Best hair straightener for men?
05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Best hair straightener for men?

What is the best hair straightener for men? I want to try new hairstyles and want to experiment with this device. What brand or specific straightener should I buy for afro/kinky hair? Do I just buy or do I buy any other products to straighten my hair with the straightener? My girl used to use some liquid before doing the straightening, dont know the name but she'd say it was to keep the hair from getting damaged.

Preferably from Amazon as I prefer to buy my hair products from Amazon, saves on the trips to the barbershop and the products there are ridiculously expensive.

Also, I keep hearing the word "flat iron", is that the same as a hair straightener? Man am I getting confused now that I decided to try some newer stuff on my hair Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: Best hair straightener for men?
What? Are we losing one curly dude to the darkside?

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
(05-21-2013 09:15 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  What? Are we losing one curly dude to the darkside?

Oh no dude, I swear Im only doing this to try out new hairstyles Big Grin I even got your book on curly hair and have started to follow your methods. I'm just feeling like changing my image for a while!
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
(05-21-2013 08:58 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  What is the best hair straightener for men? I want to try new hairstyles and want to experiment with this device. What brand or specific straightener should I buy for afro/kinky hair? Do I just buy or do I buy any other products to straighten my hair with the straightener? My girl used to use some liquid before doing the straightening, dont know the name but she'd say it was to keep the hair from getting damaged.

Preferably from Amazon as I prefer to buy my hair products from Amazon, saves on the trips to the barbershop and the products there are ridiculously expensive.

Also, I keep hearing the word "flat iron", is that the same as a hair straightener? Man am I getting confused now that I decided to try some newer stuff on my hair Undecided

There are some good hair straighteners for men available and the price range is pretty decent. Hair straighteners have improved a lot over the last two decades and they've become smaller and more efficient If you know how to use them, then it's game on (if you don't know how to use the hair straightener correctly, read this hair straightener tutorial).

I've personally tested three of the following four straighteners and the four of them are recommendations from other forum members as well as hair professionals I have spoken to, including our own forum staff. Price point varies too, so you got a good range to choose from (all readily available from Amazon by the way). All of the hair straighteners below are tourmaline based as this is one of the latest technologies to be applied and does a so much better job at straightening the hair without frying it and damaging it as the older straightening irons used to do. Likewise, two of them are titanium made and the other two are ceramic made. In an ideal world, you'd want to use a titanium one for a more longer lasting effect as well as iron itself (i.e. it has a long product life) but ceramic ones are also great if you pick the best ones among the ceramic-made ones as I have done for you in the list below including titanium-made and ceramic-made:
  • BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch: this is a titanium tourmaline flat iron that is among the best you could get and very much worth its price. Finding a straightener with both tourmaline AND titanium made at the price this one is being sold is a very difficult task! Just about my favorite flat iron and I highly recommend it if it fits your budget (if it doesn't, then look at the last straightener in this list for a good quality titanium tourmaline iron too).
  • FHI Heat Platform Tourmaline Ceramic Professional Hair Styling Iron: awesome ceramic-made tourmaline iron with beveled plates that allows for a more convenient straightening as you adapt it to the final hairstyle you want to achieve.It's also a light flat iron and perfect for traveling as it's not only light but also comes with a sleek carrying case to have it neatly packed. It's also on a massive sale at the moment.
  • Infiniti Pro by Conair 1 1/2" Nano Silver Steam Flat iron: pretty good and as far as ceramic tourmaline flat irons go, this one is a second option to the FHI Heat Platform Tourmaline Ceramic above.Either get that one or this one depending on your budget, but just get them because you can't go wrong with them.
  • Cricket Titanium Tourmaline No. 450 Flat Iron: for a titanium tourmaline flat iron, this is as less expensive as you're going to get for a high quality product. The Cricket brand is obviously not like any of the above but that's why they don't cost as much as, say, the BabyLiss one. If you cannot get the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium above, then get this one for a good titanium tourmaline iron.

These four hair straighteners above are among the very best hair straighteners for men. They are excellent product choices and are manufactured by established reputable brands. The big problem with these hair straightening tools is that they give off a lot of heat so as to cause the hair to straighten and heat, over the long term, brakes the plates of the straightener, which is why many people complain of their cheap hair straighteners breaking after only a couple of months. Had they instead bought a high quality one (which isn't by any means cheap) they would still be holding to their chosen straightener years after the cheap ones broke.

The best you can do is to see all of this as an investment if you are looking to be straightening your hair at any frequency in the future so as to increase your range of available hairstyles. I would say that together with a hair clipper and a hair dryer, a hair straightener is a must-have tool for men who are serious about their hair and want to make the most of it. And, as said, any of the 4 hair straighteners I have listed above will be an excellent investment and purchasing decision. Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
(05-21-2013 09:24 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 09:15 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  What? Are we losing one curly dude to the darkside?

Oh no dude, I swear Im only doing this to try out new hairstyles Big Grin I even got your book on curly hair and have started to follow your methods. I'm just feeling like changing my image for a while!

Was joking buddy; so long as you're aware of the risk of frying your hair, you should be good to go Smile Try not to use the hair straightener more than 3x per week.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
(05-21-2013 09:42 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 08:58 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  What is the best hair straightener for men? I want to try new hairstyles and want to experiment with this device. What brand or specific straightener should I buy for afro/kinky hair? Do I just buy or do I buy any other products to straighten my hair with the straightener? My girl used to use some liquid before doing the straightening, dont know the name but she'd say it was to keep the hair from getting damaged.

There are some good hair straighteners for men available and the price range is pretty decent. Hair straighteners have improved a lot over the last two decades and they've become smaller and more efficient If you know how to use them, then it's game on (if you don't know how to use the hair straightener correctly, read this hair straightener tutorial).

I've personally tested three of the following four straighteners and the four of them are recommendations from other forum members as well as hair professionals I have spoken to, including our own forum staff. Price point varies too, so you got a good range to choose from (all readily available from Amazon by the way). All of the hair straighteners below are tourmaline based as this is one of the latest technologies to be applied and does a so much better job at straightening the hair without frying it and damaging it as the older straightening irons used to do. Likewise, two of them are titanium made and the other two are ceramic made. In an ideal world, you'd want to use a titanium one for a more longer lasting effect as well as iron itself (i.e. it has a long product life) but ceramic ones are also great if you pick the best ones among the ceramic-made ones as I have done for you in the list below including titanium-made and ceramic-made:
  • BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch: this is a titanium tourmaline flat iron that is among the best you could get and very much worth its price. Finding a straightener with both tourmaline AND titanium made at the price this one is being sold is a very difficult task! Just about my favorite flat iron and I highly recommend it if it fits your budget (if it doesn't, then look at the last straightener in this list for a good quality titanium tourmaline iron too).
  • FHI Heat Platform Tourmaline Ceramic Professional Hair Styling Iron: awesome ceramic-made tourmaline iron with beveled plates that allows for a more convenient straightening as you adapt it to the final hairstyle you want to achieve.It's also a light flat iron and perfect for traveling as it's not only light but also comes with a sleek carrying case to have it neatly packed. It's also on a massive sale at the moment.
  • Infiniti Pro by Conair 1 1/2" Nano Silver Steam Flat iron: pretty good and as far as ceramic tourmaline flat irons go, this one is a second option to the FHI Heat Platform Tourmaline Ceramic above.Either get that one or this one depending on your budget, but just get them because you can't go wrong with them.
  • Cricket Titanium Tourmaline No. 450 Flat Iron: for a titanium tourmaline flat iron, this is as less expensive as you're going to get for a high quality product. The Cricket brand is obviously not like any of the above but that's why they don't cost as much as, say, the BabyLiss one. If you cannot get the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium above, then get this one for a good titanium tourmaline iron.

These four hair straighteners above are among the very best hair straighteners for men. They are excellent product choices and are manufactured by established reputable brands. The big problem with these hair straightening tools is that they give off a lot of heat so as to cause the hair to straighten and heat, over the long term, brakes the plates of the straightener, which is why many people complain of their cheap hair straighteners breaking after only a couple of months. Had they instead bought a high quality one (which isn't by any means cheap) they would still be holding to their chosen straightener years after the cheap ones broke.

The best you can do is to see all of this as an investment if you are looking to be straightening your hair at any frequency in the future so as to increase your range of available hairstyles. I would say that together with a hair clipper and a hair dryer, a hair straightener is a must-have tool for men who are serious about their hair and want to make the most of it. And, as said, any of the 4 hair straighteners I have listed above will be an excellent investment and purchasing decision. Smile

Following from my reply, Toulalan what your lady was referring to was a heat protectant which is a product to protect the hair from the high heat of the hair straightener. Just put some heat protectant on your hair before starting to straighten the hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

To buy hair products with confidence and at the lowest prices online, please visit our trusted sponsor The Men's Hair Shop.
You can also check out our forum's best hair products for men thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
(05-21-2013 09:47 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

Following from my reply, Toulalan what your lady was referring to was a heat protectant which is a product to protect the hair from the high heat of the hair straightener. Just put some heat protectant on your hair before starting to straighten the hair.

Thanks so much for the guidance bro! I think I'm going to buy the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium 1 inch one (one you like) plus I prefer a thin width one for now. Why the difference in width between hair straighteners?
05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
(05-21-2013 09:45 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 09:24 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  

Was joking buddy; so long as you're aware of the risk of frying your hair, you should be good to go Smile Try not to use the hair straightener more than 3x per week.

Big Grin so a max of three times a week to straighten the hair right? How long does the straightening effect last of the hair straightener?
05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
(05-21-2013 09:47 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Following from my reply, Toulalan what your lady was referring to was a heat protectant which is a product to protect the hair from the high heat of the hair straightener. Just put some heat protectant on your hair before starting to straighten the hair.

Can you pls recommend which heat protectant to buy together with the hair straightener?
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
(05-21-2013 10:00 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 09:47 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Following from my reply, Toulalan what your lady was referring to was a heat protectant which is a product to protect the hair from the high heat of the hair straightener. Just put some heat protectant on your hair before starting to straighten the hair.

Can you pls recommend which heat protectant to buy together with the hair straightener?

Sure: I've these two (plus some others) in the past and was very pleased especially with the Tresemme one. If you're going to be straightening very often, use the Alterna brand one as I found that one to be more for heavy duty hair straightening.

05-21-2013, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 10:24 PM by Barber.)
(05-21-2013 09:42 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  There are some good hair straighteners for men available and the price range is pretty decent. Hair straighteners have improved a lot over the last two decades and they've become smaller and more efficient If you know how to use them, then it's game on (if you don't know how to use the hair straightener correctly, read this hair straightener tutorial).

I second the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium, it's lightweight and compact. Good choice for men.

Dont know if it was answered yet but a hair straightener is the same as a flat iron, in case you re confused.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
(05-21-2013 10:14 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 10:00 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  

Sure: I've these two (plus some others) in the past and was very pleased especially with the Tresemme one. If you're going to be straightening very often, use the Alterna brand one as I found that one to be more for heavy duty hair straightening.

Thanks!!
05-21-2013, 11:01 PM
(05-21-2013 10:23 PM)Barber Wrote:  I second the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium, it's lightweight and compact. Good choice for men.

Dont know if it was answered yet but a hair straightener is the same as a flat iron, in case you re confused.

Thanks to you too bro. love the fact we have even barbers on this forum. I feel embarrassed to ask these questions to my own barber, go figure.
05-21-2013, 11:21 PM
(05-21-2013 09:57 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  Big Grin so a max of three times a week to straighten the hair right? How long does the straightening effect last of the hair straightener?

Yes, three times per week should be on the higher end of straightening frequency, you can go higher but then load up on the heat protectors.
The full straightening effect of the flat iron lasts until you wet the hair again, so typically it lasts a whole day..

(05-21-2013 08:58 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  Thanks to you too bro. love the fact we have even barbers on this forum. I feel embarrassed to ask these questions to my own barber, go figure.

Don't worry about it, we've all been there and then Cool

05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
(05-21-2013 11:01 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 10:23 PM)Barber Wrote:  I second the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium, it's lightweight and compact. Good choice for men.

Thanks to you too bro. love the fact we have even barbers on this forum. I feel embarrassed to ask these questions to my own barber, go figure.

It's fine, just ask.

05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
(05-22-2013 02:25 PM)Barber Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 11:01 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  

It's fine, just ask.

as a barber, do you also recommend the fhi flat iron posted by one of the admins in the first page?
Cheers
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, the the FHI hair straightener quoted below from TheMensHairForum is a pretty decent one for men as it's light, easy to use and it's only one inch wide so it's perfect for short to medium length hair although the link points to the 1 3/4 inch but you can choose the width in the same page:
1 inch for short to medium length
Up to 2 inches, including the default size in the link, for medium to long hair.

05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
(05-22-2013 02:49 PM)Barber Wrote:  Yes, the the FHI hair straightener quoted below from TheMensHairForum is a pretty decent one for men as it's light, easy to use and it's only one inch wide so it's perfect for short to medium length hair although the link points to the 1 3/4 inch but you can choose the width in the same page:
Up to 2 inches, including the default size in the link, for medium to long hair.

I went ahead and bought the FHI hair straightener. Ill update you all when I get around to using it (as soon as I have it delivered)
05-23-2013, 05:51 PM
(05-22-2013 10:58 PM)Robert Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 02:49 PM)Barber Wrote:  Yes, the the FHI hair straightener quoted below from TheMensHairForum is a pretty decent one for men as it's light, easy to use and it's only one inch wide so it's perfect for short to medium length hair although the link points to the 1 3/4 inch but you can choose the width in the same page:

I went ahead and bought the FHI hair straightener. Ill update you all when I get around to using it (as soon as I have it delivered)

Good luck! Keep us posted Smile

05-24-2013, 10:11 PM
When using a hair straightener ensure you use the lowest heat setting, if it doesn't work enough the lowest heat temperature of the straightener, increment the heat slowly. Man have I fried my hair plenty in the past 'cos of this!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair TheMensHairForum 22 75,850 06-27-2014 08:52 AM
Last Post: Brett