Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle
01-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle
Having tried different products I think pomade is the most useful for slicking the hair back, but what do you think is the best hair product for slicked back hair? the problem I seen to have is that hair gel makes my hair way too hard, no movement. Then i tried wax and didnt like the fact that my slick back would not go as flat as I wanted. CLay...meh...fiber meh...putty...meh... havent tried hair spray yet tho with the slicked back but in your opinion which one would work best for the greatest slicking? can work also for side combing and sweeping too!
Much Heart folks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2014, 05:09 PM
RE: Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle
yes I am also interest in the reply from experts in this forum. In Spain we normally have hair gel for men and maybe one or two hair creams or wax recently but nothing like the USA. You are lucky you have so many options for styling your hair! when i was young i started to hate hair gel because it was extra hard and my hair was like made of wood or something jajaja

We have in my country lots of products for womens hair, you go to a shopping centre and the beauty shop is like inundated with so many products and the hair salon the same! then for men is like 3 products available jaja so many men like me have to secretly use womens products to benefit from them jajaja funny questions when going to pay for the products.

But after I registered in this forum and reading a lot all the advice of the experts in this forum I discovered my treasure, AMAZON!! it is like a candy shop you can get any hair products for men and I now buy for brothers, cousins, friends etc and of course me Big Grin
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Well, Lordius, that's a very good question itself and, JaimeSpain, your mentioning of issues with hair gel for sweeping or slicking the hair back are very real, so thanks for adding your input too! Smile

Basically what you want with for a great slicked back hairstyle is a product that lubricates the hair strands while providing hold and some movement to the hair (similar to what you'd want with a Gatsby Side Swept). For all of this, a hair pomade is the best product for slicked back hair. You may also use a light hold gel too if you still dig the crunchy gel effect of hair gel but if you want a classic slick back hairstyle, a good pomade is the best option available.

We actually looked at a similar issue in another thread where we discussed the best pomade for slicked back hair. In that thread, I talked about the two versions of the slicked back style for men: the classic slick back and the modern slick back. In both versions, a pomade was the best product, although each slicking version requires a different pomade.

This is how a classic slick back looks:

[Image: OCLJEwQ.jpg]

And this is how a modern slick back looks:

[Image: RPjHC9q.jpg]
  • If you want the classic slicking back of your hair where the hair is held tight and fully flat without looking greasy or gel-like, then go with this particular pomade.
  • If you want the modern slicking back of your hair where the hair still has good hold but there is some movement for the hair so that the slicked back style looks more natural, then go with this other pomade.

The two pomades above will also work well for side swepts and flat side combing the hair. I recommend you to get both pomades as that will allow you for a wider range of styles and those recommended pomades have prices and great quality.

Also, if you want to style your slick back with some gel for a wet effect look that looks harder than when using pomade, then go with a firm hold hair gel that provides some shine with a wet look effect. A firm hold gel is a great product to have for any kind of hairstyle as it is very versatile since it provides just enough hold while adding a wet-like texture to the hair. For a good firm hold gel that provides a wet effect with some good shine and that is also easy to wash off in the shower, go with this hair gel. For an enhaced range of hairstyling options, get the 2 pomades above and this firm hair gel as you will b using any of these 3 products any day of the week depending on your mood. Smile

And lastly, for any guys with curly hair reading this and who want to style their hair back, then use a hair mousse (like this ONE) and a wide tooth comb (like this ONE) as you will be very pleased with this product combination that works really well for men with curly hair of the wavy and coiled types!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Water based pomade or hair mousse?

I'm wavy haired, is water based pomade or a mousse recommended?
08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Pomade and mousse for wavy hair.
(08-08-2014 06:29 AM)guyverman Wrote:  I'm wavy haired, is water based pomade or a mousse recommended?

I suggest that you go with the water-based pomade that I suggested for the modern slick back in my post above yours. Wavy hair will still have some volume when combed back, thus you will get more benefit from allowing the waves in your hair to show their shape while laying the hair flat and back.

On the other hand, I also recommend a good hair mousse, which isn't that expensive anyway. A good hair mousse allows you to get a more voluminous slick back style. Furthermore, a good hair mousse will also define and enhance your wavy mane, so you've got a winner right there.

Try a good hair mousse as it's always good to experiment with different mens hair products, and a good hair mousse will certainly give you positive aesthetic results in terms of how defined and glossy your waves look. A great hair mousse that I recommend for you is THIS one here which will provide plenty of definition, gloss and natural volume, even when you slicked back your wavy mane! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-06-2014, 11:00 PM
So I've been reading around and I have indeed tried the Layrite Superhold as well as the Suavecito Firme Hold pomades for my hair. Being that it's summer, it seems as if the pomade doesn't stick to its shape after I step out for a bit. My hair tends to part down the middle regardless of how much or how little I use. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's another product like pomades that'll add a stronger hold and add shine.

I actually enjoy the Suavecito pomade a lot more with the modern slick back I'm trying to maintain. It seems to hold stronger than the Layrite pomade, at least in the hot weather even though it'll still part my hair midday while I'm out. It's as if the wind dislike me and wants to split my hair down the center :'(. Also, I don't touch my hair throughout the day but I know it does affect if my hair stays/goes like it does with other hair products like gel.
09-11-2014, 01:36 AM
(09-06-2014 11:00 PM)Alcheonn Wrote:  So I've been reading around and I have indeed tried the Layrite Superhold as well as the Suavecito Firme Hold pomades for my hair. Being that it's summer, it seems as if the pomade doesn't stick to its shape after I step out for a bit. My hair tends to part down the middle regardless of how much or how little I use. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's another product like pomades that'll add a stronger hold and add shine.

I actually enjoy the Suavecito pomade a lot more with the modern slick back I'm trying to maintain. It seems to hold stronger than the Layrite pomade, at least in the hot weather even though it'll still part my hair midday while I'm out. It's as if the wind dislike me and wants to split my hair down the center :'(. Also, I don't touch my hair throughout the day but I know it does affect if my hair stays/goes like it does with other hair products like gel.

have u tried some hairspray?
09-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Alcheonn, same problem here basically. My hair is naturally wavy and falls in a curtain style look (medium length) when I don't do anything to it. I've tried wetting my hair, tower drying it, applying the suavecity firme hold and then blow drying it. I use my hands or a comb during the drying to style it either modern or classic. Thing is, the hold is still abysmal. I put a lot in, and after a few minutes when I walk out the door, it feels like I added nothing and falls back gradually.

I think our problem is the length and type of our hair. I think I might steal some of my mom's hairspray to try and make it stay back.
09-12-2014, 11:59 AM
(09-11-2014 01:36 AM)edu1987 Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 11:00 PM)Alcheonn Wrote:  So I've been reading around and I have indeed tried the Layrite Superhold as well as the Suavecito Firme Hold pomades for my hair. Being that it's summer, it seems as if the pomade doesn't stick to its shape after I step out for a bit. My hair tends to part down the middle regardless of how much or how little I use. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's another product like pomades that'll add a stronger hold and add shine.

have u tried some hairspray?

I haven't tried hairspray because I'm not a fan of them. Whether it's the smell or just spraying a ton of chemicals into your head and face. I try to minimize what I put into my hair so I was hoping to see if there was another way to do this. If more people really recommend getting hairspray, then I suppose I'd have to try that out.
09-12-2014, 01:00 PM
(09-12-2014 11:59 AM)Alcheonn Wrote:  I haven't tried hairspray because I'm not a fan of them. Whether it's the smell or just spraying a ton of chemicals into your head and face. I try to minimize what I put into my hair so I was hoping to see if there was another way to do this. If more people really recommend getting hairspray, then I suppose I'd have to try that out.

I think that the rep of hair spray is undeserved. People still think of hair spray like the sprays in the eighties were with all the guys spraying their hair until it was still like hardened plastic.

Now days there are some really good hair sprays that only need some light spraying to fo their job. Read this hair product thread for the recommended hair spray. I do agree with you though that you don't want to get the spray in your face because of the chemicals. Hair is fine though.
09-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Yep I agree. I recently bought the one recommended in that men's hair product thread and I'm loving it. Nothing like the hairsprays back in the days.
09-14-2014, 10:52 AM
I love to use a water based pomade to get a slicked style! :- )
09-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Vitalis, baby!!! xD
11-04-2014, 07:53 AM
What's the best pomade for a really thick haired slick back. I'm talking thick Indian hair.
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 11:27 AM by ad4mkoala.)
Not the shiny type of slick back but....

Looking for any hair cream/wax that is for medium length hair with a matte low shine finish.
My hair comes down to almost my chin. Want a product that I can easily distribute through my hair, so something that isn't too thick.
Let me know guys!

btw i have thick asian hair
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List TheMensHairForum 116 245,785 09-24-2016 10:06 AM
Last Post: JewFro
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 10 35,647 03-03-2016 09:57 AM
Last Post: Doworkgetbig
  Good hair products for the slicked back undercut? James 3 38,746 02-12-2015 08:37 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Question Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair? Vladimir 7 25,177 08-16-2014 10:06 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum