Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best hair products for long hair men?
03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Best hair products for long hair men?
Hello people! can I ask the forum hair professionals what are the best hair products for long hair? I see lots of discussion about products for short hair but not for long hair... I would like to grow long hair but do not know if I should use same products I use know like pomade or wax or if the products between long hair and short hair are different? Huh
What are also a good place to buy? Amazon or other type of shops like niche shops or organic shops for oil products?
Warm regards from Spain and sorry for my english Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: Best hair products for long hair men?
Jaime, there are quite a few useful products for men with long hair. However there are also certain products that are best avoided with a long mane despite them (products) working great for short hair. Products like pomade, wax and super-strong hair gel should be best avoided and instead your efforts should be concentrated on getting and using the products I will be covering below in great detail Smile

The main products to have/use for long hair are:
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Leave-in conditioner
  • Styling cream
  • Hair mousse
  • Hair dryer
  • Shears
  • Oils
  • The Men's Hair Book

Let's now below go one by one as you want to be getting the best brands/products under the types of products listed above.

Shampoo

Shampoo for long hair should be one that encourages the moisturizing of the hair and that also doesn't strip off the natural sebum of your hair. While recently we have already compiled a list of best shampoos for men, you should be concentrating on a moisturizing shampoo and the best one you can get is this one here.

Conditioner

Even more important than shampoo for a long haired dude, what he will certainly be needing is a (regular) conditioner. Conditioners will make your hair a lot easier to manage and style, and the conditioner will also make your hair glossier and stand out more. If you're a dude with long hair, owning a good conditioner is a must!

You should always use a conditioner right after you shampoo your hair. Only leave the conditioner on your hair for 1 to 2 minutes (specific time will be stated on the conditioner's label). Once the time is over, rinse the conditioner off your hair with the water from the shower. An excellent conditioner for men is this one here (it's a 32 ounce bottle so it will last you ages, plus it really is an excellent conditioner worth its price!).

Leave-in conditioner

A leave in conditioner provides the same benefits as a regular conditioner, but the cool thing about leave-in conditioners is that they can be used for styling your hair too. Once you're out of the shower and have dried your hair with a towel or cotton T-shirt, you then use the leave-in conditioner on your hair to either style the hair or to simply coat the hair with the leave-in as a "shake & go" (i.e. no need to style your hair).

For men with shoulder length locks or longer, coating the hair with the leave-in and leaving the hair as un-styled, instead of trying to style the hair with the leave-in, is a better option. A great leave-in conditioner to have is this specific leave-in which will also address and tame any frizz in your hair as an add-on benefit!

Styling cream

A styling cream is a styling product for your mane that works to tame flyaway hairs as well as frizzy hair. Many styling creams are designed for their use on long hair, so you will be able to shape different styles on your hair with a styling cream unlike the possibilities with pomade or wax on long hair.

A styling cream will also add gloss to your hair and some extra volume, especially to straight hair and wavy hair. This styling cream is an excellent one to use by any dude wanting a lustrous long mane!

Hair mousse

Hair mousse is a styling product that has a great hold and which also defines the locks of hair, which is particularly useful for men with curly hair from wavy to kinky curly hair. Hair mousse will give the right definition to your curls and help with keeping your chosen hairstyle set and shaped at long lengths.

As an add-on benefit, hair mousse can increase the volume of your hair tremendously and by as much as you want, especially with the use of a hair dryer (see below). Thus, hair mousse is an excellent product for men with flat or boring hair that either lacks volume or which is thinning (i.e. balding men with long hair). This hair mousse is a great one to have and which will give you all the benefits I've just listed.

Hair dryer

Owning a hair dryer is always an excellent option for any men regardless of his hair length. For dudes with long hair, a hair dryer will allow for a very fast and convenient (full) drying of the long mane since long hair takes a very long time to air dry to its fullest.

Another benefit of a hair dryer, and perhaps the most important benefit when it comes to aesthetics, is that a high-quality hair dryer will greatly enhance your long hair. You will be able to achieve great volume by using a hair dryer with either a styling cream or hair mousse (coat hair first with mousse/cream, then use dryer), and the highest-quality hair dryers do also add and tremendously improve the gloss of your hair as well as tame the frizz at the same time. The result from a premium hair dryer is hair that is softer, sleeker, glossier and healthier!

The only "issue" to the above is that the highest-quality hair dryers capable of yielding all these great aesthetics benefits are pricey, and their price tends to be higher than $200 since these dryers use the latest technology and the highest-quality materials to yield all their aesthetic magic. This high-quality hair dryer uses the best materials and industry technology to yield excellent aesthetic results and the dryer itself is currently priced at a great affordable price! Its usual price is much higher than its current price so do seriously consider getting the recommended hair dryer in the link as it will last you years and give you great hair every time you use it Smile

Shears

Shears are "barber" scissors to cut mens hair. When you have long hair, it is normal to find small knots or split ends that are best trimmed to avoid any follicular issues developing in the future. Likewise you may even want to cut some of your long hair to enhance or change its shape, so having a set of barber shears at home is an excellent investment as such shears are very easy to use and cut your hair without damaging it.

Regular scissors or kitchen scissors (LOL) are atrocious to trim/cut hair so do not even think about cutting your hair with such types of scissors and instead get a good set of shears like this excellent set of 3 shears. Cutting your own hair, be it to trim split ends or to cut some length, will be piece of cake with these recommended shears in the link!

Natural butters

Using natural butters like coconut butter is great for curly hair (coiled curly and kinky curly) since these two hair types require the most moisturizing. All you need to do is, after using the styling product (mousse or cream) or the leave-in conditioner, to keep your hair styles and ready to go is to then apply coconut butter to the tips of the locks. This is an excellent way to keep the tips protected and avoid them getting split.

Coconut butter can also be used on more length of the hair, but one needs to play around with the amounts of the butter to use as using too much can make the hair greasy. Start slowly and then work you way up, but using coconut butter to keep your hair conditioner and moisturized is an excellent and natural way to look after your hair. I highly recommend this coconut butter for your hair which is organic and 100% raw, meaning you're getting the finest coconut butter to enhance your locks Smile

The Men's Hair Book

Long hair requires more hair care efforts than other lengths of hair, this is the reality. The Men's Hair Book is not only an excellent book for all men but it is also an excellent book for men with long hair as the book teaches you the widest range of hair care tricks and methods to keep your hair looking its best.

The Men's Hair Book is authored by Rogelio, the popular expert from ManlyCurls.com who also has very long curly hair. He has unmatched experience when it comes to long hair so having his book is important to make your hair growing journey as easy and convenient as it can get. The Men's Hair Book can be purchased in high-end bookstores across the United States and United Kingdom, or alternatively it can be purchase in this Amazon link (the book can be bought as a Kindle or a paperback).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-02-2014, 02:17 PM
TheMensHairForum above has put it perfectly!
You have to use a good conditioner like the one he recommended in his guide above because your long hair needs the conditioning & moisture as you can easily have ugly air without giving your hair that moisture.
Also try the sebum coating method created by Rogelio in The Mens Hair Book which also helps a lot to have great hair & condition. The sebum coating method + a conditioner is the perfect combination for hair grooming.

Styling creams are real good for long hair so get the hydrating styling cream that he recommended above in the link inside the description for the styling cream.
Remember you will need to be patient my friend. Yes products & knowing how to use them is very important but if you are not patient for the hair to grow then you will ruin your efforts. At least a year is a good time to take to grow your hair & reach a nice long length!

We have a mens hair discussion about hair nutrition for men with vitamins, minerals & other health nutrients that I recommend you to read - click the link - as we recommend the all vitamins & minerals for mens hair growth. I know you may not think of nutrition & supplements as 'hair products' but vitamins & minerals are as important for awesome hair as the styling creams & conditioners. FWIW in The Men's Hair Book there is a huge chapter dedicated to hair nutrition for men & it is the best content you will read about taking advantage of nutrition for great hair!
04-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the responses people!! now it has more sense for me to know the products for long hair. Your information is what it says in the mens hair book about long hair so it is nice to know this is what you also recommend.
Because I am in Spain i have to buy from outside Spain so yes Amazon is perfect and like a vice for me always buying Big Grin I want to make my next purchase of products and also for my cousin in his birthday so I will buy all products in the list (of course! only one each for each of the types Big Grin). I have the book from before but rest of products some I have some I do not have and for me it is better to do a big shopping so it arrives here to Spain with less expensive transportation costs.
My experience is that the transportation cost of hair products from the united States Amazon to Spain is not expensive and is cheaper if buying more products. Incredible how in the past 10 years transportation costs from ordering from the United States were super expensive but in this present, costs are so low!

It is time to get my credit card out and spend my salary of march jajaja
04-07-2014, 01:02 PM
So basically from what I can tell for styling long curly hair, the products to use are styling creams and hair mousse right?
04-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I also like to use coconut oil on my hair. Do a leave in treatment once a week for at least half an hour and then rinse out well.
04-26-2014, 07:43 AM
I never knew you had to think so much about it. Well now i know.
04-26-2014, 09:06 AM
(04-26-2014 07:43 AM)Jawad21 Wrote:  I never knew you had to think so much about it. Well now i know.

It isn't that you have to think so much about it, but more of a "what are the basics for having long hair". Products like the one I mentioned and the rest have also mentioned (great recommendation Jesse!) are great for long hair. There are a couple of products that you want to avoid with long hair, but other than that it is fairly simple, especially if you follow our guidelines Smile

The trick with styling long hair is making sure that you distribute the product evenly along the locks of hair, instead of leaving clumps. That's why something like the No Sebum method works so well, as it ensures even distribution of, in this case, sebum. In any case, as a male grows his hair long, all these things start to make more and more sense. And of course, everyone is invited to ask questions as their hair grows longer.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I love the Maroccanoil hydrating styling cream that has been mentioned here.
Ofc there may be differences in styling results, depending on your hairtype, but it indeed makes my hair very smooth, and leaves you hair well hydrated and in sort of a unforced natural style!
06-06-2014, 03:09 AM
I have been using the Smooth Lock series from Redken now for the past couple of months. The shampoo, normal conditioner and styling cream. Do anyone know how they compare to the products mentioned above?

I am almost out on all three products though so I just ordered the shampoo, conditioner, leave in and styling cream that you recommended TheMensHairForum. Really looking forward to try them out Smile
06-06-2014, 12:55 PM
(06-06-2014 03:09 AM)_Downfall_ Wrote:  I have been using the Smooth Lock series from Redken now for the past couple of months. The shampoo, normal conditioner and styling cream. Do anyone know how they compare to the products mentioned above?

I am almost out on all three products though so I just ordered the shampoo, conditioner, leave in and styling cream that you recommended TheMensHairForum. Really looking forward to try them out Smile

That's a great purchase you've made! Smile the hair product list of TMHF he made in this thread earlier is really all men with long hair need.
Once your hair grows longer & longer you need to use more & more conditioner - by that I mean more frequently. The same goes for leave in conditioners. Also for styling you really want to be using that styling cream so yeah great choice!

IME Redken is an ok brand for mens hair products but not the best tho. I would put Redken on the same level as American Crew, at least for the mens hair products range that Redken has - I think Redken's hair products for women are better than their range for men. If you read this forum American Crew doesn't have too much of a good reputation Big Grin so WRT Redken then I would say their products are fine to get by for general products without much emphasis on a product or hairstyle you need.
However for long hair you really want to start using hair products that are more specific for a healthy long mane instead of just for looking good in the very short term.
06-06-2014, 04:29 PM
(06-06-2014 12:55 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 03:09 AM)_Downfall_ Wrote:  I have been using the Smooth Lock series from Redken now for the past couple of months. The shampoo, normal conditioner and styling cream. Do anyone know how they compare to the products mentioned above?

That's a great purchase you've made! Smile the hair product list of TMHF he made in this thread earlier is really all men with long hair need.
Once your hair grows longer & longer you need to use more & more conditioner - by that I mean more frequently. The same goes for leave in conditioners. Also for styling you really want to be using that styling cream so yeah great choice!

IME Redken is an ok brand for mens hair products but not the best tho. I would put Redken on the same level as American Crew, at least for the mens hair products range that Redken has - I think Redken's hair products for women are better than their range for men. If you read this forum American Crew doesn't have too much of a good reputation Big Grin so WRT Redken then I would say their products are fine to get by for general products without much emphasis on a product or hairstyle you need.
However for long hair you really want to start using hair products that are more specific for a healthy long mane instead of just for looking good in the very short term.

Ok cool, now I am even more happy for buying those products Smile. I have been trying the Sebum method proposed by Rogelio now for more than a month and I really like the result. I have not been using a proper leave in conditioner just the leave in styling cream so I want to see what kind of effect that will have on the hair Smile. Also can I always use the leave in conditioner and cream together and will I apply the second one right after the first one when I have gotten my hair into a damp state?
06-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Yes, Downfall. Right like it says in the book: first leave-in conditioner and then styling cream (not the other way round!). And yes to dampness, you apply both products when the hair is damp.

Yes the Sebum Coating method that Rogelio created and details in the book is a great way to clean the hair and also make it more lustrous. You are basically using your own leave-in conditioner which is your sebum!

Lastly, amen to what Jurgen said above. When you have long hair or are planning on growing long hair, you always want to have a styling cream around. Waxes and pomades should be dropped in favor of styling creams, leave-in conditioners (as actual styling products too, this technique is also explained in The Men's Hair Book/The Curly Hair Book).

You now have the right hair product foundation (including the book) so now it is time to put everything into a convenient method that you like and that also fits your needs as well as taking care of the hair care factor such as proactive/reactive measures, nutrition and so much more. In the end (a couple of weeks to a month or two) you will have learned so much about your OWN hair that the great looks of your long mane will be on auto pilot and you'll have one less worry in your life!

06-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply guys! Smile

One other question that comes to my mind is will these products and methods be able to reduce or remove any kind of fly-away hair? I am not sure what to expect from long wavy hair, should it be possible to remove them all, I especially notice them when I have the hair in a bun.

I will wait and see what happens with the new products Smile. Just wanted to ask if there is something that I am currently doing wrong?
06-08-2014, 12:43 PM
(06-08-2014 12:09 PM)_Downfall_ Wrote:  Thanks a lot for the reply guys! Smile

One other question that comes to my mind is will these products and methods be able to reduce or remove any kind of fly-away hair? I am not sure what to expect from long wavy hair, should it be possible to remove them all, I especially notice them when I have the hair in a bun.

I will wait and see what happens with the new products Smile. Just wanted to ask if there is something that I am currently doing wrong?

Yes, the styling cream is the ideal product for flyaway hairs, you will even read that in The Men's Hair Book when you get to the Products section in the Grooming chapter. Styling creams help with the actual hairstyling (like a pomade) but also incorporate a moisturizing angle which is exactly what one needs to combat the flyaway hairs that are so common with long hair (and irrespective of hair type, although more common the curlier the hair is).

There will, however, always be some flyaway hairs, this is completely normal. You must also take into account that it is the hair care and grooming that matter the most when it comes to aesthetic hair (i.e. no flyaway hairs). The product should be the cherry on the top, but if you have bad hair care habits or don't groom your hair properly, then no amount of product will help your hair (this concept is one that the vast majority of men don't understand and is why many fail with their hairstyling goals and is also why reading hair care information like in our forum or in The Men's Hair Book is crucial to fulfilling your expectations of aesthetic hair).

You have gotten yourself the most important products for a solid hair care (the 2 types of conditioners, a styling cream and the shampoo). From there and once you start getting familiar with your hair, you can start adding products and of course experiment with hair dryers and hair straighteners. If you don't have a hair straightener or dryer and are interested in buying them in the future, then bookmark our hair dryers for men discussion and our hair straighteners for men discussion for the recommended products to get as you want to make the right decision (and spend a little bit more of money) when it comes to hair straighteners and hair dryers as it is very easy to get yourself a low quality one (cheap ones) that is broken in 2 months time.

The 2 hair dryers I actually recommend in my post earlier in this thread are among the best to get and are certainly worth the price since they will last you way longer than any regular hair dryer and will also give you a much better hairstyling result (an average hair dryer or straightener will worsen frizzy hair and flyaway hairs).

07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
are there any products to stay away from? any components that, in your opinion, should be avoided at all costs?
07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
(07-08-2014 02:03 PM)Foques Wrote:  are there any products to stay away from? any components that, in your opinion, should be avoided at all costs?

A wide tooth comb should be avoided at all times by men with curly hair. Remember that our definition of curly hair includes wavy hair and kinky curly hair, or in other words, everything that isn't straight hair. A great wide-tooth comb for curly men that will last them years is this one here.

With long hair, you should also be avoiding hair wax and oil-based pomades. These types of pomades contain petrolatum and/or mineral oil which is a big pain to remove from the hair strands and scalp when one has long hair.

Other than the two products mentioned above, I would place more emphasis on using more of the products I mentioned on my reply to the OP (i.e. my big post which is second in this thread).

07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
(07-09-2014 10:51 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 02:03 PM)Foques Wrote:  are there any products to stay away from? any components that, in your opinion, should be avoided at all costs?

A wide tooth comb should be avoided at all times by men with curly hair. Remember that our definition of curly hair includes wavy hair and kinky curly hair, or in other words, everything that isn't straight hair. A great wide-tooth comb for curly men that will last them years is this one here.

With long hair, you should also be avoiding hair wax and oil-based pomades. These types of pomades contain petrolatum and/or mineral oil which is a big pain to remove from the hair strands and scalp when one has long hair.

Other than the two products mentioned above, I would place more emphasis on using more of the products I mentioned on my reply to the OP (i.e. my big post which is second in this thread).
thank you very much. this helps a whole lot.
07-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I just use regular shampoo and conditioner and it works fine
11-14-2014, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 02:33 PM by Jawad21.)
So do you only use a styling cream or do you need to apply something else 2? The maroccan oil did not really work for me, mabey i just have to thick hair?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 124 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 446 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 508 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,378 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz