Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best hair product for non-greasy side slicked hairstyle
07-16-2015, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 02:09 PM by Ekhangel.)
Best hair product for non-greasy side slicked hairstyle
Hiya, my first post.

I've been having loads of trouble finding a product that would be durable enough to keep my thick hair in place, but also give the best matte/fresh look possible. The style I fancy is side slick with a fringe, like on the not-very-representative photo I've attached. After trying some cheap products, I gave Goldwell Roughman a go, but wasn't entirely satisfied. The hair didn't look that greasy anymore, but the sides would most of the days need some correction with a hair spray before going out, which was detrimental to the overall look and uneconomic.

I've been thinking of getting myself a pomade, since I've never used any before. I'm not sure, however, if a matte-ish look can even really be obtained with a pomade (I'm considering water-based ones only, obviously). The pictures I saw on the web aren't convincing in some cases. The Suavecito I've been planning to buy seems to give a rather shiny look. What I want is a kind of "invisible look", to the furthest extent possible.

The product I'm having on the photo is a Syoss hair gel, which actually gives a wetter effect than one could judge from the picture.

Any suggestions would be great.

[Image: 2015_07_16_11_07_22.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2015, 04:19 PM
RE: Best product for non-greasy side slick
If you link to the picture we should be able to paste it up ourselves and could see what you're going for.

I use Suavecito for a side part, personally, with the parting itself being subtle. However, I recently got Tigi Bedhead For Men Matte Hair Wax and have experimented with it a bit and found it great for giving an extremely natural look. When I apply it to dry hair it holds in place while looking like there is barely any product at all. It basically ends up looking like Tom Cruise's hair in Oblivion.

Hope this will help!
07-17-2015, 01:53 AM
That hair wax sounds like something I might be interested in. I seem to be able to find only Manipulator Matte and Guy's Matte types locally (Poland). I'd preferably not order stuff off eBay/Amazon due to shipping times. I'm not sure if your "Matte Hair Wax" is one of the aforementioned, but the effect and quality are probably similar anyway.

Oh, there's also Tigi's "Matte Separation Workable Wax" available... Gee, how many waxes do those guys have?

Thanks for that!

Moderator edit: Picture updated for first picture and account upgraded.
07-17-2015, 08:27 AM
I haven't tried their other stuff. The Matte Wax I have now continues to impress for an 'invisible' product. Ordering from Amazon isn't really a big deal, I got mine in about two days.

The product you have right now gives a really wet look, yeah. With the Suavecito my hair is a lot less wet than that and I can give it a lot more volume with some blowdrying.

At this point though if you know what style you want all you can really do is experiment.
07-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Alright, I'm getting the Suavecito Firme Hold, which is locally available. I'll see how it goes.
07-17-2015, 09:36 AM
RE: Best hair product for non-greasy side slicked hairstyle
I second the option of the Suavecito pomade. Good choice of pomade for the non greasy slicked hairstyles. That Suavecito pomade is one of the few recommended in the forum, they also recommend the Layrite water pomade. But the Layrite pomade has a higher shine while the Suavecito from my experience has less shine but still gives a slicked look without the grease.

Just for the record we're talking of the water pomade of Suavecito right? See the Suavecito pomade in this thread as that's the one that is recommended in the forum and not the oil pomade.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

I think that the greasy hair effect is from the oil pomades. Nowadays a good water pomade will give you all the good looks of a traditional pomade without the chance of getting your hair all oily. At least that's my experience and it's also what many of the guys have talked about in the forum.

If you bought the water pomade from Suavecito then you have a good pomade on your hands without a doubt.
07-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Sure, water-based is the only option for me. I'll have it in my hands around Tuesday, and then I'll be able to tell whether it satisfies me. I heard the smell is pretty intense - I hope it's okay.
07-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah the smell is a bit more intense than the standard water pomades. But it's nothing compared to the older oil pomades, damn those things smell! I like the smell of the Suavecito pomade though so I have no problems with it.

It can be a bit over-powering if you're also wearing cologne from what I have read. But most of the times it's a random guy using a lot of the pomade to slick his hair. You're supposed to use the least amount of pomade product on your hair to slick it back. That was the saying in the sixties with the oil pomades but from my experience it should also be the same with the water pomades. Sure you aren't going to get greasy hair if you use too much of a good water pomade like the one from Suavecito but you're going to get stuff like a strong pomade smell by using too much.

I think that if you start low and work up you will not get the issue of the pomade over-powering any fragrance or cologne that you may use. The smell of the Suavecito pomade isn't anything too hardcore either and I personally welcome it when I'm not wearing any colognes or fragrances.
07-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Great. For a near-invisible effect, should I apply it to completely dry, towel-dried or slightly blow-dried hair? I guess I should probably experiment with it myself, but I'd like to hear some of your wisdom on that, not to get excessively frustrated on the first day in case it looks like s**t or doesn't hold too well. My sides tend to be really stubborn, and just "glue off" from behind the ears after some time from applying the product (in which case I normally correct it with hair spray).
07-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Normally what I do is towel dry my hair until just slightly damp. Then, I rub the pomade between my palms and spread evenly around my hair. After that I blow dry the forelock up and to the right and once its dry I grab just a tiny amount more pomade, rub it between my fingers and apply it evenly to the forelock, moving back and to the right.

Works like a charm and looks damn good.
07-23-2015, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 01:43 AM by Ekhangel.)
Ok, so I've been "testing" Suavecito for two days now, and I'm having mixed feelings. For starters I should say that I've actually switched to a 100% "slick back" hairstyle, which should be easy to style, and for personal reasons is preferrable to me.

The pomade does give a rather greasy look if applied in higher quantities, which my thick and dense hair usually require - not as much of a "wet look" as a regular hair gel, that's for sure, but still not something a cute girl would probably deem as "fresh hair".

I tried blow-drying the hair a bit after application, and it did somewhat reduce the greasiness, but then the sides started "gluing off" my scalp, which even MUCH cheaper* hair product predecessors had succeeded in preventing for longer amounts of time (without blow-drying - because they don't require it). All I could do at this point is correct the sides with my faithful hairspray.

Conclusion: the pomade does hold the hair better in terms of preserving the overall shape when back-slicked. Other (non-greasy) products would just lose the hold with time, and make a mess on my head. However, it's still not what I'm looking for - OR, which is very likely - I'm doing something wrong. In any case, your advice would be welcomed. Perhaps there is something in my haircut that could be tweaked to make it more style-able? My barber-day is almost due, and I am considering visiting a professional stylist for a change, instead of the regular one, but I wouldn't like to overpay heavily for the service BEFORE I run out of all the reasonable options.

*I spent an equivalent of my ISP bill on this stuff (~$30; I live in Poland, and Amazon sellers generally don't ship here)
07-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Dude, if you have slicked back hair it is going to be greasy. You use too much of the goop. Also, the length at the side of the hair is going to cause issues when styling. Shorter hair would require less product and be less greasy. Or you could style it with less product and have less hold.
07-23-2015, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 09:13 AM by Ekhangel.)
I have been thinking of cutting my hair shorter, but I'm not sure how they'd look like when back slicked then. It could turn out pretty awkward.

I don't know, I'll experiment some more, I guess.
07-29-2015, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 04:05 AM by Ekhangel.)
So, I experimented some more with Suavecito, and it is pretty okay when applied to nearly-dry hair, in a bit higher quantity than I initially thought sufficient.

I started hating the smell though - it does smell like a cheap, tacky cologne, and I wouldn't like anyone to identify me with it. A buddy said he couldn't smell anything, but I don't even want to take risks. Plus - I can smell it, so it's bad enough. If I want to smell anything, I use perfumes, not pomades.

Thus, I bought myself a small can of Layrite Original for trying out, and the scent is much better, though still noticeable. I think its moderate shine also looks better than Suavecito's somewhat lifeless matte.

I also got myself a relatively expensive matte hair wax (Montibello, or sth), but I don't like it too much.

I think Layrite was my best choice so far. It did have some issues with holding the sides and back of my hair in place throughout the day, though. I was wondering about the superhold version, but I fear the look and feel might be different. Also, pomade prices here are sick expensive, and I don't really feel like trying out every brand and type in existence.

My another concern is that my hair turned unusually dry and unhealthy recently; I'm wondering if it's because of Suavecito, which has been commented by some on the web as drying out hair excessively. I guess I already saw the first symptoms the day before using Suavecito for the first time, so it might not be that. My hair also started falling out when washing or styling. Nothing in my diet changed, I feel healthy, so I'm a little worried about the sudden change in my hair condition, and I'd prefer avoiding hair-straining products for now (that's why, among others, I got the wax).

I'd appreciate some of your experience with the differences between Layrite Original and Superhold.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 279 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair Too Straight and Thick! Want Natural Combover Hairstyle StraightHairProblems 0 388 09-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: StraightHairProblems
  Help with styling products for Caesar haircut - Hayden Cassidy hairstyle KIERANHIN95 1 356 07-01-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: KIERANHIN95
  How to style fluffy curly hair into soft straight hairstyle MustafaZorrok 0 390 06-28-2016 03:25 PM
Last Post: MustafaZorrok