Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best hair product for a relaxed casual side part hairstyle
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2015 12:26 PM by orangemonkeyj.)
Best hair product for a relaxed casual side part hairstyle
Hey there,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have had my hair cut into a side part haircut for quite a while and predominantly styled in the traditional way with either Brylcreem or American Crew Pomade. Although I really like this look, it's a bit too formal when dressing casually.

Ideally I want to keep the cut but have the option of wearing it in a more 'relaxed' way. Someone recommended American Crew Defining Paste for this but I find it doesn't have a great deal of hold to it and looks awful if your hair is damp at all.

Ideally I need something matte with a decent hold. My hair is quite thick and can easily flop forwards if the hold isn't strong. I'm trying to post an image of the look I'm after but it won't let me (Moderator edit: picture updated below!).

[Image: 0smncCm.jpg]

I'm gonna get my hair snipped again soon and see what my barber thinks but I often think he just tries to sell whatever he's got loads of!

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

J
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2015, 11:29 AM
RE: Best hair product for a relaxed casual side part hairstyle
I was going to suggest a hair mousse product for a casual side part hairstyle until you mentioned that you want a matte finish for your hairstyle. In that case, one of the best hair products for a casual side part is the TIGI matte hair wax reviewed in the link by one of the moderators.

That TIGI hair wax reviewed in the link above has a good hold that is used for "bed-head" styles, which are some of the most fantastic casual hairstyles for guys. However wearing a tousled bed-head hairstyle to go to work isn't going to cut it, yet you can use that same hair wax from TIGI to get your hair into a fuller and thicker side part style. It's actually a good hair wax to own and have in the bathroom as you can easily tousle your hair with that hair wax from TIGI.

For me and for other barbers in the forum, hair mousse is the defining hair product for men seeking volume and hair thickness. That's exactly what a good hair mousse product will achieve, whether you have straight hair or very curly hair. Most hair mousse products offer some extra shine for your hair due to the ingredients used to make this type of hair product, but it's still worth considering a good hair mousse product.

Having a hair wax to give you a matte finish for your side parted hair and also having a hairstyling mousse to make your side parted hair shinier while keeping your side part hairstyle casual and fuller would be the perfect scenario.

If you shop smart, you can get a good hairstyling mousse product for a very cheap price. See this list of men's hair products and browse down to locate the hair mousse recommended in the first post. Provided that your budget isn't very low, you could easily get the TIGI hair wax and that hairstyling mousse product to have two types of finishing textures for your side part hairstyle.

If your budget doesn't allow for both products, then go with the TIGI hair wax above. You will also find in the linked review (above) where to buy the TIGI hair wax for a great price.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 77 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Which product makes thick hair not clump together? Zatem 0 88 11-11-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: Zatem
  What is the best product for short/faded hairstyle? willhtun 1 366 07-21-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: willhtun
  Volumizing hair mousse or product for styling thin hair? 92GTA 2 541 06-15-2016 08:12 PM
Last Post: 92GTA