Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best hair dryer? 5 5
Best hair dryer?
03-25-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: Best hair dryer?
(03-25-2014 02:26 PM)JDeee Wrote:  I would have thought that a hair dryer was just a hair dryer before reading this thread... clearly not. Tongue

Well, here in the forum we strive to provide real knowledge on male hair, from scalp hair to facial hair and shaving/grooming. We are fortunate to have great industry professionals in the forum who are keen to help others and we are also fortunately to encourage an online community that attracts great forum members who are keen to interact and ask the right questions to the right people. The end result from all of this is that we discuss in great detail everything that has to do with the male grooming and men's styling field Wink

Unfortunately, James, in this field there is a lot of misinformation and bad advice been given out by websites and certain individuals that/who all they do is mislead males who need the right answers. Providing such answers while building a great community is the main goal of this forum, so, in this forum, my friend, a hair dryer isn't just some pricy tool that will burn your hair if you follow the bad advice that is found online on the majority of websites Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2014, 06:43 PM
(03-25-2014 03:15 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 02:26 PM)JDeee Wrote:  I would have thought that a hair dryer was just a hair dryer before reading this thread... clearly not. Tongue

Well, here in the forum we strive to provide real knowledge on male hair, from scalp hair to facial hair and shaving/grooming. We are fortunate to have great industry professionals in the forum who are keen to help others and we are also fortunately to encourage an online community that attracts great forum members who are keen to interact and ask the right questions to the right people. The end result from all of this is that we discuss in great detail everything that has to do with the male grooming and men's styling field Wink

Unfortunately, James, in this field there is a lot of misinformation and bad advice been given out by websites and certain individuals that/who all they do is mislead males who need the right answers. Providing such answers while building a great community is the main goal of this forum, so, in this forum, my friend, a hair dryer isn't just some pricy tool that will burn your hair if you follow the bad advice that is found online on the majority of websites Smile

Nonono, I wasn't implying that you guys are talking nonsense! I just thought that a hairdryer was just that... but obviously I haven't experienced burnt hair or a hairdryer which gives really bad results so I was just saying that I thought they were much of a muchness. But I do see now that with all of the different varieties & the different features one wants in a hairdryer that there actually is a difference. I wasn't trying to be rude Tongue sorry if I came across as it.
03-26-2014, 02:07 PM
(03-25-2014 06:43 PM)JDeee Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 03:15 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

Nonono, I wasn't implying that you guys are talking nonsense! I just thought that a hairdryer was just that... but obviously I haven't experienced burnt hair or a hairdryer which gives really bad results so I was just saying that I thought they were much of a muchness. But I do see now that with all of the different varieties & the different features one wants in a hairdryer that there actually is a difference. I wasn't trying to be rude Tongue sorry if I came across as it.

Not at all, buddy. I didn't actually think you were insinuating that Smile My post was more on the fact that our forum has the goal of providing real answers and information, so we will discuss at great length and depth topics like hair dryers (an an example) so that our forum members and visitors can make the most informed and educated decisions and impact their lives in a positive manner.

Don't worry, I know your case since you have been very active in the forum over the last couple of days, so I knew what meaning you were trying to initially convey (i.e. newbie being impressed with the level of discussion depth on the field of male hair).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-24-2014, 07:13 AM
I ended up buying the Babyliss one, cheers for helping my decision! It's definitely worked out well for me so far.
04-25-2014, 04:28 PM
(04-24-2014 07:13 AM)AD120790 Wrote:  I ended up buying the Babyliss one, cheers for helping my decision! It's definitely worked out well for me so far.

Glad we were able to help you out. That's what this forum is about, so it's always awesome to hear how more and more forum members are finding solutions to their questions Smile

08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
What really makes a good hair dryer? As long as it dries your hair. I'm a novice when it comes to hairstyling so forgive my naivety.
09-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Hands down:Velectra Paramounts TGR Tempo XXP
Its made in France. I love the quality of it, strong,rocker switches smartly positioned for easy use, cold setting is on rocker switch setting not button shot & best of all, the cord is industrial grade & super long with a strong cord guard built into the bottom of the handle. I haven't ever had the cord break or guard detach still @ 10 years use. Great heat/flow for blowing out curls too!
10-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I posted this in another thread but I think it is worth posting here too since this is the sticky hair dryer thread. These are some tips on how to buy a hair dryer.

Hair dryers will dry your hair faster than the standard towel drying or air drying so they are good tools to have as guys. If you choose a good hair dryer too, this will cause your hair to have a more brilliant shine and glossy appearance. If you want to buy a hair dryer, you will need to consider a few things beforehand. Some of these include adjustability, voltage, and attachments.

You can also check the best hair products thread for the latest hair dryer and other mens hair products recommended in the forum.

Adjustability

One of the first things you need to consider when buying hair dryers is their adjustability. You should look for a design that will allow you to adjust the heat setting. Some hair dryers have only two heat settings while others can have up to four. It's also best to look for a model that has speed adjustment so that you can control the flow of air.

Hair dryer voltage

One of the next things to consider when buying hair dryers is voltage. If you normally travel with your blow dryer, you should look for a dual-voltage design. American outlets generally use 120V, while European outlets are usually 220V. Dual-voltage hair dryers will be able to work either type of outlet whenever you travel.

Attachments

You should also think about the type of attachments that come with the hair dryer. It's best to choose a model that at least comes with a concentrator attachment. This type of attachment will allow you to style your hair precisely with the hair dryer.

Your right about the diffuser for curly hair since curly hair is brittle and more delicate so it can get damaged easier if you blow dry your hair daily for months and months. To avoid any heat damage simply buy a hair diffuser or choose a model that already comes with a diffuser.

Cold Air

One of the next things to consider when buying hair dryers is cold air. You should look for a hair dryer that has a cold air button that will release a shot of cold air. This will allow you to set and style your curls using cold air after you have dried your hair off using hot air.

You can style your hair with hot air if you have straight hair or wavy hair.

Mount

One of the final things to think about when buying hair dryers is how they're mounted. Some designs can be mounted on your bathroom wall. These hair dryers will save you the trouble of finding space to store them and you will always know where they are. Some wall-mounted designs even include a night light.

These are some tips for buying hair dryers. Easy to remember and basic enough to give you a great hairstyle and lots of hair drying benefits. You should look for a design that provides multiple speed and heat settings. If you travel frequently, then you should look for dual-voltage hair dryers so that they can work with different types of outlets.
10-15-2014, 04:49 PM
This hair dryer guide below was posted by Long Mane (forum user) in the long hair area of the forum. I thought his 'how to' hairdryer guide added a lot to this sticky thread on how to use a hair dryer for men. It's all relevant for all types of mens hair, but the guide was published by Long Mane with a long hair emphasis Smile

The step of the guide that you can skip if you don't have long hair is the one on dividing the hair into sections and using hair clips to hold the sections together.

Originally posted by Long Mane:

Long hair can be tricky to dry, I know this as I am a guy with long hair! So I thought why not post some tips on how to use a blow dryer to dry long hair for men. Drying your long mane with a towel can be problematic so a hair dryer offers a lot of convenience. But you gotta know how to use a blowdryer (and a good one).

First of all longer hair needs to be divided into sections before drying or you'll be left with patches of damp hair and roots that are still wet. Use some of these drying tips to achieve your look in fifteen minutes or less.

Apply a heat-protecting mousse to the roots:

Use a volumizing and heat-protecting mousse only at your roots to create a barrier against the high temperatures from your blow dryer. Massage this mousse into the scalp with your fingers or use a wide-toothed comb to ensure your entire scalp is covered with the product.

Use an ionic blow dryer:

Ionic blow dryers can help you achieve that salon-like finish by distributing heat evenly across your strands. Ionic dryers use less heat but can still speed up the drying process. When you want to dry long hair fast, make sure you're using a high-quality ionic dryer that will cause less damage than standard dryers and help you create that sleek, shiny look with ease.

There is a list of good ionic blow dryers in this thread of the forum.

Begin at the roots:

Tip your head over so that you can start blow drying your hair from the area right around the nape of your neck and work up towards the crown. You only need to dry your hair in this position for about three to four minutes as a "pre-drying" session before you move in close to the scalp. This will help to warm up your strands and dry out some of the roots before styling. You'll want to make sure your hair is about 75 to 80 percent dry before you move on to the next step.

Divide hair into sections:

FTR this tip is not really needed for long hair men. My wife is also a long hair and she uses this following tip with great success for drying her hair. You can skip this tip or use it. It is up to you.

Clip your hair into sections that are between two to four inches wide so that you can focus on only a small section of hair at a time. I like to use five large salon hair clips to divide my hair into several sections - one at the top, two on each side, and two at the back of the head. Twist hair tightly and secure in place with each clip.

Focus on air flow:

You need to make sure that you're directing the heat from the dryer down the hair shaft at all times. This top down approach will help your roots dry as quickly as possible and also protect the strands from excessive heat damage. Remove one clip and dry hair from the root down, holding the dryer as close to the hair as possible. Use a large-barreled brush to keep the hair flat and straight as you dry. Let the hair cool on the brush for a few seconds before moving on to the next section.

Continue drying each section:

Remove each clip as you go and continue with the top-down approach as you work your way around your head. This entire process won't take longer than ten minutes.
10-31-2014, 10:35 PM
I have a Conair.
12-02-2014, 05:15 AM
(06-18-2013 10:35 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  Can we expect a tourmaline hair dryer to work also in very curly hair of the kinky type? considering kinky curly hair (i have) is fragile and heat can damage the hair.. anyone know?

Hi AfroJay
My daughter has curly hair, shoulder length and we both use a Spiderman Salon Series Ultralight Professional Ionic Hair Dryer she uses the diffuser. Neither of us has seen any damage to our hair and we think it is because of the following:
• The ceramic heating unit provides the benefits of heating evenly and not getting too hot
• The electronic ion generator when switched to green = negative ions = hair drying faster
• When switch to blue = positive ions = increase shine and if you finish off using the cool shot button it will help eliminate frizz and flyaways
• Diffuser to use with curly or wavy hair
• 1800 watt Long Life Powerful Motor at 110v - 120v
• Weight : approx 12 ozs
It also comes with 3 year manufacturer’s warranty (it comes complete with a product registration card that prompts you to register it’s authenticity online that links your machine to the warranty), hope this helps you decide.
04-20-2015, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 03:26 PM by SAMCRO.)
Quick question, will a narrow nozzle be better to straighten out curly/wavy hair. I changed my blow dryer and I have been noticing that I can't achieve the same straightness anymore. The nozzle is a little wider than my old one (By that I mean the opening is a bit larger, i.e the air that comes out spreads more, rather than concentrating the air at one point). Why can't I achieve the same straightness anymore? Is it the nozzle?

Either that or I lost touch of my blow drying skills.
04-22-2015, 08:38 AM
The potency and temperature range of your new hair dryer are more worrying.
(04-20-2015 03:25 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Quick question, will a narrow nozzle be better to straighten out curly/wavy hair. I changed my blow dryer and I have been noticing that I can't achieve the same straightness anymore. The nozzle is a little wider than my old one (By that I mean the opening is a bit larger, i.e the air that comes out spreads more, rather than concentrating the air at one point). Why can't I achieve the same straightness anymore? Is it the nozzle?

Either that or I lost touch of my blow drying skills.

Like you've mentioned, a narrower nozzle helps to channel the blown air with more power and with focus. Usually, it's better to use a wider nozzle and/or a diffuser as use narrow nozzles, especially with high heat, can increase your risk of damaging your hair. However, in your situation by which you're using the hair dryer to straighten your hair, then, yes, a narrower nozzle will certainly help more with straightening your hair.

Having said the above, unless you've changed from a narrow nozzle to a diffuser, the potency and focus changes should be minimal. Since you've changed your hair dryer, I'd be worried of your new hair dryer not being as powerful as your previous hair dryer. Does your current hair dryer feel less powerful as in the air is shot out with less power?

Another important thing to bear in mind is that of a hair dryer's temperature rang. Make sure that you're using the same temperature that you had set in your previous hair dryer. The warmer the air, the easier the hair straightening process will become, so you want to use the same temperature that you used before to get your usual hair straightening effect. Are you using the same temperature in your new hair dryer as opposed to your previous hair dryer?

05-04-2015, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 02:16 PM by SAMCRO.)
It's kinda frustrating when I see this guy on YouTube blowdrying his hair with the end of the blowdryer literally against his hair and getting amazing results. I.e they achieve shiny and healthy looking hair. When I blowdry my hair, I do it with about 4 inches of distance between the end of the blowdryer and my hair, to reduce the damage. However the endresult isn't as amazing as the guys on YouTube. The channel is called Slikhaar, you must have heard of them.

Don't know if I am allowed to post a link of a video.

My question. Is it my blowdryer? it's a cheap one, with no ionic option. I hope this is the reason for it to come out so mediocre. Oh and yes I do apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
05-04-2015, 02:33 PM
(05-04-2015 02:14 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  It's kinda frustrating when I see this guy on YouTube blowdrying his hair with the end of the blowdryer literally against his hair and getting amazing results. I.e they achieve shiny and healthy looking hair. When I blowdry my hair, I do it with about 4 inches of distance between the end of the blowdryer and my hair, to reduce the damage. However the endresult isn't as amazing as the guys on YouTube. The channel is called Slikhaar, you must have heard of them.

My question. Is it my blowdryer? it's a cheap one, with no ionic option. I hope this is the reason for it to come out so mediocre. Oh and yes I do apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.

Hey man I think that you must be doing something wrong because I also get shiny and nice hair when I blow dry and I'm a noob with hairstyles. I do use a good ionic blow dryer which luckily I saw that it was one of the recommended blow dryers in this thread so that was a good coincidence as that blow dryer was expensive.

What hair product are you using to style your hair? Also aren't you the guy who has curly hair but straightens it with the blow dryer? that's a huge difference compared to those guys with straight hair who have it all retouched with hair products off the camera view and they don't tell you, that's what those guys you mentioned do. I've seen some of their videos and they're 'meh' videos, you can tell they prepare their hair off the camera view and then only show you a portion of what they do so they sell more products...

I have straight hair by the way and I get that shine and healthy look and i'm not doing anything special with the blow dryer. I just follow the instructions in the threads here -- keep the blowdryer a bit far from the hair, use low to warm temperatures and never a hot temperature, don't pull the hair hard when styling and blowdrying, protect the hair if blow drying daily and leave some moisture on the hair so that you don't end up burning it. These tips work like a charm for me and I picked them up by just reading the forum.

I'm not one of the gurus in the forum so I can't really help you like they can but maybe you could start a thread and post how your hair looks when you blowdry your hair? I know that straight hair vs curly hair is different but I don't do anything special to get that natural shine. I'm probably doing something wrong in the process as a noob haha and I'm still getting results. I only started blowdrying recently too so I'm not an expert either.
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
(05-04-2015 02:33 PM)Cool Hair Guy Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 02:14 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  It's kinda frustrating when I see this guy on YouTube blowdrying his hair with the end of the blowdryer literally against his hair and getting amazing results. I.e they achieve shiny and healthy looking hair. When I blowdry my hair, I do it with about 4 inches of distance between the end of the blowdryer and my hair, to reduce the damage. However the endresult isn't as amazing as the guys on YouTube. The channel is called Slikhaar, you must have heard of them.

Hey man I think that you must be doing something wrong because I also get shiny and nice hair when I blow dry and I'm a noob with hairstyles. I do use a good ionic blow dryer which luckily I saw that it was one of the recommended blow dryers in this thread so that was a good coincidence as that blow dryer was expensive.

What hair product are you using to style your hair? Also aren't you the guy who has curly hair but straightens it with the blow dryer? that's a huge difference compared to those guys with straight hair who have it all retouched with hair products off the camera view and they don't tell you, that's what those guys you mentioned do. I've seen some of their videos and they're 'meh' videos, you can tell they prepare their hair off the camera view and then only show you a portion of what they do so they sell more products...

I have straight hair by the way and I get that shine and healthy look and i'm not doing anything special with the blow dryer. I just follow the instructions in the threads here -- keep the blowdryer a bit far from the hair, use low to warm temperatures and never a hot temperature, don't pull the hair hard when styling and blowdrying, protect the hair if blow drying daily and leave some moisture on the hair so that you don't end up burning it. These tips work like a charm for me and I picked them up by just reading the forum.

I'm not one of the gurus in the forum so I can't really help you like they can but maybe you could start a thread and post how your hair looks when you blowdry your hair? I know that straight hair vs curly hair is different but I don't do anything special to get that natural shine. I'm probably doing something wrong in the process as a noob haha and I'm still getting results. I only started blowdrying recently too so I'm not an expert either.

Thanks for the reply!, true I am that guy with the curly hair who straightens it with the blowdryer. Currently I'm not using any products, because I've started an internship in february. I have to wake up very early everyday, literally no time to do my hair. That's why I blow dry my hair, with no products. I do apply heat protectant spray.

I think the results aren't great because my hair is curly, but also because of the hairdryer being a cheap one. I guess I'll try an ionic one and try that first.

Also the opening of the nozzle of my blowdryer is fairly wide, which makes it difficult to concentrate the air. I had another cheap blowdryer with a narrower nozzle before, which performed a bit better
05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
About ionic hair dryers and curly hair for men.
Mate the main problem is the curly hair going to straight hair thru the blow drying method. It's just going to cause frizz whether you like it or not as you break the curl shape. You can then manage the hair frizz with a moisturising hairstyling cream or even a water pomade but you're not off to a good start by blow drying and brushing.

The good news is that ionic hair dryers were made to solve the problem of hair frizz. People with curly hair like you get frizzy hair from just blowdrying alone so imagine the amount of frizz that you generate by adding another frizz-producing element into the mix which is the brushing and combing thru of curly hair! Smile

Ionic hair dryers work against the frizz instead of creating frizz like most non ionic hair dryers do and especially like all cheap hair dryers do. Ionic hair dryers are more expensive but if you're going to be blow drying your curly hair to straighten it then it'd do you good to spend a tad more and get something that not only helps you against frizzy hair but also has way less of a risk of burning thru your hair and damaging it.

If you can't get hold of an ionic hair dryer then make sure you're using a good hair conditioner and also a good heat protecting product. I can't remember if we've mentioned any good ones in this thread, probably we did in page one but I'm in a bit of a hurry.

However if you go to the sticky hair product recommendations in this link you will see one of my favourite heat protecting products from Tresemme, just browse down a tad in the first post on that sticky thread with all the linked products and you will find that Tresemme heat tamer under the section for best heat protecting product. This specific heat protecting product goes really well with mens hair as it's very easy to apply so it's one I would recommend you use if you will be stuck with your old hair dryer instead of buying an ionic hair dryer.

Cheers!
05-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks again for the reply. It's awesome to receive replies from barbers like you. Always appreciate the elaborate responses, which yours are most of the time Smile
05-08-2015, 07:02 AM
(05-07-2015 03:14 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Thanks again for the reply. It's awesome to receive replies from barbers like you. Always appreciate the elaborate responses, which yours are most of the time Smile

Not a problem mate! Smile

There are many barbers in this forum who are wiser than I am as I'm still a barber apprentice but I'm getting a lot of experience on the trenches and one of the big issues that our barbershop customers come to us with is with their use of a hair dryer. Usually it's their hair dryer that's the problem and not the way they blow dry their hair as blow drying is extremely simple. All you do is point the nozzle to the hair you want to style or blowdry.

Cheap hair dryers are rats if you're going to be blow drying frequently like daily or almost daily. They're ok if you blow dry once every blue moon as in once every two weeks or so but any more frequent use needs a better hair dryer. And an ionic hair dryer usually solves any issue smoothly. Ditto for the heat protecting product if you're going to be blow drying daily. Your case is a tad more complex since you're using the hair dryer to straighten your curly hair.

So you want to be a bit more complete in terms of products if you're going to be following that method. I remember your slicked back hair from the Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut thread and it looked really good anyway.

Cheers! Smile
05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
(05-08-2015 07:02 AM)Bradley Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 03:14 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Thanks again for the reply. It's awesome to receive replies from barbers like you. Always appreciate the elaborate responses, which yours are most of the time Smile

Not a problem mate! Smile

There are many barbers in this forum who are wiser than I am as I'm still a barber apprentice but I'm getting a lot of experience on the trenches and one of the big issues that our barbershop customers come to us with is with their use of a hair dryer. Usually it's their hair dryer that's the problem and not the way they blow dry their hair as blow drying is extremely simple. All you do is point the nozzle to the hair you want to style or blowdry.

Cheap hair dryers are rats if you're going to be blow drying frequently like daily or almost daily. They're ok if you blow dry once every blue moon as in once every two weeks or so but any more frequent use needs a better hair dryer. And an ionic hair dryer usually solves any issue smoothly. Ditto for the heat protecting product if you're going to be blow drying daily. Your case is a tad more complex since you're using the hair dryer to straighten your curly hair.

So you want to be a bit more complete in terms of products if you're going to be following that method. I remember your slicked back hair from the Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut thread and it looked really good anyway.

Cheers! Smile

Thank you, indeed I was the first one who came with the request. Kinda left that behind me now, looking to try new stuff Smile
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------