Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Shavers and Electric Razors for Men: 8 Top Shaver Reviews!
10-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Best Shavers and Electric Razors for Men: 8 Top Shaver Reviews!
Being a barber I get asked a lot about grooming and electric shavers. So I want to post a guide on the top electric shavers and razors that you can buy. All these electric razors and shavers have been tested by myself at one time or another as I'm a fan of keeping my grooming in perfect condition so I won't hesitate to buy a new shaver even though I may have six of them already!

Also we use electric shavers at our barbershop and we also use straight razors. Most customers want a wet shave with a straight razor but we also do sometimes use electric shavers. Mostly though, my barbeshop's customers will ask me lots of questions on electric shavers, so I would like to post my knowledge on this forum too since I get to talk about electric razors and shavers a lot on a daily basis. The usual case with barbershop customers is that they will come in for a wet shaving session once per week and the rest of the week they will shave with a safety razor or an electric shaver. So even though wet shaving is becoming more and more popular, electric shavers are definitively here to stay!

[Image: 61OatvisfQL._SX522_.jpg]

By all means I'm not the first guy in this forum to go through men's shavers in detail. Being new to this forum, I'm aware of some awesome discussion from experts on electric shavers:

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...mer-to-buy

You can read the discussion in that link too to continue your learning of these fantastic mens grooming tools!

You've got to buy the best electric shaver for your own particular needs!

I should say that buying the best electric shaver possible in order to get that perfect shave is certainly no easy task and it does involve some pesky crucial details if you are to make the right choice. For example, many people say that the brand you go with is extremely important, since the saying "you get what you pay for" rings true with electric shavers more than you can imagine.

On the other hand, if you want to shape your sideburns or have longer facial hair instead of a close shave, it's then best that you get a pop-out trimmer or hair trimmer. Most decent shavers will allow for some modulating of different shaving lengths too so you don't always need to have an electric shaver with a hair trimmer. Most of the time, an electric shaver will do just fine, from a super-close shave to a five o'clock stubble design. For all purposes, this guide will be about buying the best electric shavers for the closest shave possible.

This leaves you enough time to test it out and see whether you like it or not. Last but not least, if you want to be completely satisfied with your electric shaver, it absolutely needs to have an ample shaving time of at least 45 minutes and allow you to charge it in sixty to ninety minutes.

Like I said I'm new to this forum and I'm still discovering the many guides here so I will try to put links in this guide for further reading expanding on what I'm posting on this guide. So before continuing with this guide, here's some more additional reading for you on electric razors: There are a lot more guides on shavers and shaving razors on this forum but in my opinion as a barber, I think that those guides are great for complementing this (my) review guide on the best electric shavers that you can buy.

Back to my review guide, but first, here's the list of reviewed electric shavers that you will find on this guide:
  • Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor with Jet Clean System
  • Braun Series 7 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System
  • Panasonic ES-LV61-A Arc5 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head
  • Remington R8150Csb Pivot And Flex Rotary Shaver with Charging Stand
  • Braun CoolTec Men’s Shaving System
  • Wahl 9937 Lithium Ion Triple Play Shaver/Trimmer/Detailer
  • Philips Norelco 1150X/40 SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor
  • Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc4 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head and Automatic Cleaning System
Now that I got that off my chest, it's time to continue with my review guide!

Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor with Jet Clean System

If you want to get a very close shave and you also love Philips, then the Norelco 1280X/47 is a no brainer. What makes it stand out of the crowd is the long battery life which allows you to shave for up to 1 hour (translating to around twenty shaves). Worried about cleaning it after each and every use? Don’t sweat it! The Norelco 1280X/47 features its own jet cleaning system that lubricates the shaver and leaves it as good as new. There are also 3 unique cleaning stages including Eco (this one takes around 40 percent off energy usage), Intense and automatic.

[Image: 41gUbt4y25L.jpg]

Another thing you’ll love about it has to do with the Gyroflex 3D shaving heads which follow the contours of your face and ensure that you get an absolutely perfect shave each and every type. Using these heads will allow you to reach in those place where foil type razors couldn’t, which accounts for a superior shaving experience. It’s also worth mentioning that the Norelco 1280X/47 is very quiet, so you won’t feel distracted by the buzzing noise most other electric shavers make.

However, there are also a few cons about this model. If you have sensitive skin, then you may want to look elsewhere, since there is a pretty good chance your skin will get burned. Also, even though it can sanitize itself, many people think that the sanitizing stand is quite ugly and bulky, so if you don’t have too much space to waste in your bathroom cabinet, then you may want to look elsewhere.

One final thing to say is that its packaging is frustration free so that's the ultimate icing on the cake if you're still on the edge about getting the Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D shaver.

Braun Series 7 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver

f you’re all about high quality electric razors, then you know very well that Braun has the best track record on the market for reliability and their latest 790cc electric shaver is no exception.

[Image: 41FRBId57pL.jpg]

Okay, if you were swayed by this amazingly looking (and performing) electric razor, you should first of all know that it’s actually a foil razor. With that left aside, it does feature a pretty unique technology called “Activelift” which lifts those flat laying hairs in hard-to-reach areas so they can be removed with ease.

Love those close shaves? Every man on this Earth loves them too and, in this regard, Braun has come up with the OctiFoil technology with holes which allows you to finally have an almost razor-like shave without actually using a razor. The 790cc also comes with a hygiene indicator which lets you know how clean your electric shaver is and when it needs to be cleaned. The cleaning (provided by the FastClean system) is very good and it allows you to clean your device in just 25 seconds.

There are though a few bad things to be said about this shaver and they have to do with the pulsonic clean. It seems that after a while, it won’t clean the device as well and this means the gunk will have to be cleaned manually. There’s also a fair amount of vibration and noise this shaver creates, so for all those who care about this, be warned.

Panasonic ES-LV61-A Arc5 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head

The ES-LV61-A seems to be considered the Best Electric Shaver in the world and there are plenty of online reviews from real customers that can prove that. First of all, its 5 blade cutting system called the “Arc 5″ do a phenomenal job at cutting hair and they are created to be used by both people with normal and sensitive skin.

[Image: 41h8nZ29dLL.jpg]

The record breaking linear motor which is designed by Panasonic is capable of a staggering 14.000 rotations/minute which basically guarantees you won’t have to worry about tugging or pulling off hairs (which is the case with devices with lower motor rotation). As a result, you’ll benefit from a faster, more efficient and smoother shave that causes no irritation.

On the downside, a lot of people have criticized the high price the ES-LV61-A is sold for and the fact that it also doesn’t have a cleaning and a charging station. But probably what some will find important is the fact that the blade seems to wear off quite fast. After shaving for twenty to thirty times, you’ll notice it doesn’t shave as good as in the beginning and that’s when you need to get a new one.

Remington Products R8150Csb Pivot And Flex Rotary Shaver with Charging Stand

Getting a close shave is no more a problem if you’re going to choose the R8150 to help you get the job done. Featuring a robust design and allowing for a good grip, holding and using this electric shaver is going to be a pleasure in itself. Interestingly, Remington has decided to also incorporate a trimmer in their shaver, which means that you can consider further fine tuning after you finished shaving.

[Image: 41l2UffFNuL.jpg]

Battery wise, you can use it for up to 60 minutes before you need to plug it in to charge (which only takes around ninety minutes anyway). The LCD on this little bad boy makes it look like a premium device and on it you’ll be able to find information regarding battery level so you don’t run out of juice while shaving. Even if that happens, the quick charge option allows you to charge it for around ten minutes and get enough battery life for a complete shave.

All in all, this is a comfortable and premium looking shaver that will look very good in your bathroom cabinet. There are currently no cons that I could find about it online, so it seems this is the real deal for everyone looking for that perfect electric shaver.

Braun CoolTec Men’s Shaving System 1 Kit

Braun is all about revolutionizing products we use every day and its latest CT5cc electric shaver makes no exception to the rule. Probably what you’ll find most interesting about it is the CoolTec system which is a state of the art cooling system that helps take the heat out of shaving. As a result, men with sensitive skin will enjoy a shaving experience that’s going to leave them breathless and craving for more.

[Image: 51YxZYpvkLL.jpg]

Compared most electric shavers that have a similar system in place, the CT5cc doesn’t allow warmth to build up in the shaver’s head, but actually comes with an aluminium cooling bar that Braun integrated in the head of the shaver. Therefore, the skin is actively cooled off, which means there’s going to be no more itching, burning and redness.

If there’s anything bad to say about this shaver, that’s the fact that it doesn’t actually offer you a close shave, so if that’s what you’re looking for, you will be a bit disappointed. Also, if you have facial hair that’s longer than a few millimetres, prepare to spend a great deal of time to shave it off.

Wahl 9937 Lithium Ion Triple Play Shaver/Trimmer/Detailer

The Wahl 9937 is one of the popular electric shavers on the market and what makes it special is the fact that it comes with 3 interchangeable heads so that you can go from a shaver,to a trimmer to a detailer. The interchangeable heads include the detailer, the full sized trimmer and the triple rotary razor head. Each of them will offer you a specific shaving experience, so you need to experience all of them and see which one fits your needs best.

[Image: 411psVwyFCL.jpg]

Battery time on this model is amazing and it offers you enough juice to shave for up to 120 minutes or for 45 uses. Charging time is also very low (just 2 hours), but if you’re in a hurry, the three minute quick charge is enough to get you going for a complete shave. If you have a beard or a moustache (or even both) you’ll be happy to know that this trimmer comes with a comb, a storage pouch, blade oil and of course, a cleaning brush. Warranty wise, it features a 5 years warranty, so it’s enough to give you peace of mind that it will last you for a long time.

On the con side, it seems that some of the online reviews I’ve read said this bad boy doesn’t really cut that well, while another person said it just died on him after just 30 days of usage. It probably was a faulty unit in my opinion.

This isn't the first time that Wahl creates a multi-grooming tool and they did something similar with their Wahl 9686 Power Pro Corded Hair Clipper. See the link for the forum review of the Wahl 9686 Power Pro hair clipper and trimmer:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-Detailer

Philips Norelco 1150X/40 SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor

Some people love a good shave and just don’t mind the features their shaver comes with, but if you’re someone who loves that and you also love a feature-full shaver, then the Norelco 1150X is definitely one such device that won’t let you do.

[Image: 316kAB95mwL.jpg]

Its design is very futuristic and makes you think it was piped in from the future. From the 3 rotary heads to the ergonomic handle, the 1150X is designed to make shaving a total pleasure.

Close shaving is this bad boy’s strong point and its special shaving system lifts your hairs and cuts them at a level that’s usually below the skin. Because of that, this results in a fast and smooth shave that lasts longer compared to only cutting the hair at skin surface.

While other electric shavers out there require that you use water or shaving cream, this one wouldn’t care less about that. The result will always be the same and that is a smooth shave that lasts longer and doesn’t irritate your face. When it comes to the battery, it lasts for up to forty minutes, but it needs an hour to fully charge.

If there are any negative things to say about the Norelco 1150X, those certainly have to do with its blades. Some people report that after just 2 months of use, their blades have become dull and need to be replaced.

Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc4 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head and Automatic Cleaning System

Even though it’s relatively new still, the Panasonic ES-LA93-K has set a new bar for electric shavers. Most of the times it seems that people love comparing it to the Braun Series 7 790cc and while their performance is almost the same, the Panasonic model not only supports both dry and wet shaving, but it offers a more comfortable and effective shave for those sporting a thick beard.

[Image: 41HPul5SkpL.jpg]

Using an ultra thin vibrating foil cover of just forty one micrometers, the ES-LA93-K allows you to get an extremely close shave without burning the skin. This is also thanks to its revolutionary linear motor that is capable of 14.000 RPM which means no more pulling and tugging off hairs. Lastly, its 360 degrees pivotal head makes it simple to shave in all those hard-to-reach places, accounting for a superior shaving experience.

If you’re interested about the negatives of this amazing electric shaver, well, there are a few, but they don’t affect its shaving effectiveness. For instance, the ES-LA93-K is a bit heavier compared to other electric shavers out there and the cleaning base is just not on par with the device itself.

My Personal Pick

With that being said, these are the top 8 electric shavers you can currently get if you want to have a comfortable and fast shave with no itching or burning sensations. If I were to pick one though for my personal use, I would go with the Braun Series7 790cc. Why you ask? Well, Braun has an excellent track record for making reliable products and given the fact that I travel a lot, I don’t want to worry about my unit failing on me.

[Image: 41FRBId57pL.jpg]

I’m also a pretty busy and active guy, so I don’t have the time to clean up my shaver and the active cleaning system on this model really makes me happy. In the end, I value a close shave more than anything and in this department the 790cc over delivers. Because of these reasons, I cannot recommend the 790cc highly enough and I’ll be taking it with me every time I need to travel around the world.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2016, 11:07 AM
RE: Best Shavers and Electric Razors for Men: 8 Top Shaver Reviews!
Regarding the range of Braun shavers for men, here's a detailed comparison of the different Braun electric shavers, including the Braun CoolTec CT5cc Mens Shaver that I reviewed above. It's a good visual comparison if you're still on the fence about buying a Braun shaver/electric razor.

[Image: puPX9oq.jpg]

If you have any questions then I'll be happy to address them. Cheers guys!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can you use aftershave with electric shavers instead of razor? Machado 1 1,114 12-24-2014 08:16 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Disposable razors: tips to extend the life of the blade Sunset 1 1,664 08-20-2014 02:59 PM
  Shaving gel reviews: Gillette Fusion and Gillette Series gel Sunset 1 1,665 08-17-2014 02:50 PM
  Are disposable shaving razors worth buying? Machado 3 1,507 08-02-2014 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bradley