Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List 5 15
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
08-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Best shampoo for wavy hair
(08-25-2014 09:03 AM)MadMike Wrote:  Hi folk ,I have very hard and thick wavy hair (maybe type II) ,also it's totally a mess and very hard to style.I have tried to smooth it out a bit but I couldn't find any listed moister shampoo or conditioner in my country,so I try any moister shampoo and conditioner I can find in the supermarket.

So far I already tried headnshoulder,double rich,l'oreal,syoss,pantene but none have any noticeable effect for my hair (pantene may smooth it a bit but it's for the women and I don't really like the smell).It's will be awesome if I could have some advice from all of you.

P/s : all of my shampoo have sulfate,I know it's bad for my hair but I just can't find 1 without it,so I wash my hair every other day and use conditioner everyday.

A sulfate containing shampoo isn't necessarily bad for your scalp or hair, that's a myth. It may cause some mild irritation in those susceptible to it and such shampoos will have a much stronger cleaning effect than non sulfate containing shampoos. The problem is that men, as opposed to women, secrete far more sebum and sweat from their scalp, so we need stronger regular solutions than women.

Following from the above, however, a very good sulfate free shampoo is THIS one here in Amazon. The product comes as a pack of 2 bottles which can be shipped outside the USA (since I can see in your profile you aren't based in the USA). For those of you reading this, though, you can get a single bottle too once you have checked out the product in the link (just look for the product's name in Amazon).

Another good shampoo for men with wavy hair that provides a moisturizing oomph is THIS one here (it's 12 oz, so get 2 more bottles so that you have shampoo for months!). This one does contain the typical sulfate ingredients in most commercial shampoos, hence it's a cheaper shampoo than the non-sulfate containing shampoo in the previous link. However, this sulfate containing shampoo is of high quality and certainly gets the moisturizing and cleaning job done very well, but unfortunately it can only be shipped inside the USA.

If, as an international customer (i.e. from outside the USA), you wanted to get the recommended shampoo I reference in the above paragraph, you'd have to get the combo pack (one shampoo bottle and one conditioner bottle pack) to be able to get the product shipped outside of the USA. This is good, however, as a shampoo must ALWAYS be followed by a regular conditioner (right after rinsing the shampoo), and the shampoo/conditioner pack from the same brand is pretty affordable too (and big size too!).

You can get the shampoo/conditioner pack I mention above from THIS vendor.

If the above can't be shipped to your location, then simply go with THIS shampoo here, which is a decent enough moisturizing shampoo that will be of use.

The above 3 shampoos will help you in your quest for smoother waves. Also, make sure you're using a good conditioner, as a good conditioner is of the utmost importance to having glossy and smooth wavy hair. Either use the conditioner in the combo pack in the last link above, or go through the regular conditioners recommended in Page 1 of this discussion.

Lastly, if you haven't already, get The Men's Hair Book (by Rogelio Samson) from Amazon. Everything about hair care that you will need for any kind of situations as a dude is covered in detail in that book. That book is actually the best "hair product" you could buy as that book is your starting point to learning about mens hair products and thus for getting the best products for your hair! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 01:34 AM
RE: Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
ive heard that Layrite Deluxe has actually similar hold strength to the Suavecito Firme, would you recommend this Layrite?
09-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Surf Wax, I forget who makes it but it holds like nobody's business. Been using it a looong time now with great results.
09-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Mr TMHF, have you any comments regarding the By Vilain line? namely Gold Digger, Silver Fox...
Appreciate your help man!
10-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Awesome thread! I was wondering if all hair waxes are generally the same?
12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
So I am using the SuaVecito Firm Hold pomade with a slicked back undercut. However, I am not 100% sold on it. I love that it washes out easily, but when I am in a rush in the morning and the hair is still a bit damp and I get on my bike (with the cold wind blowing), the hair gets really strong/firm and it shines a little much as a consequence. What are good alternatives to the SuaVecito Firm? They should have the same hold but with much less sheen. Or should I apply it on dry hair? Then however, it is kinda too sticky... Thanks for your recommendations.
12-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I have a question also
the winter is here, and i am letting my hair grow, but the problem is that no matter how much i use hairspray to keep it in place it will always get untangled by a hard gust of winds. Have to walk 15 min to school so it is always getting on my nerves, my question is what kind of tools are there to keep my hair at its place until the summer comes.
01-22-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm currently using Redken For Men Cool Finish Invigorating Conditioner, looking to use another conditioner, to go with the american crew shampoo, what would you recommend, i have thick hair but hair is starting to fall out and get thin, what would you recommend?
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
I have a quick question about styling cream/ grooming creme? is it better to put it on damp hair or dry hair?
02-07-2015, 03:25 PM
(02-01-2015 03:22 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  I have a quick question about styling cream/ grooming creme? is it better to put it on damp hair or dry hair?

USe the styling cream on damp hair. By this I mean hair that you have dried after a shower. Or you can use some water to just get your hair middy damp if you don't want to shower just to use the product. The moisture from the water makes the styling cream work even better, the same goes for most mens hairstyling products.
02-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Hey fellas,

I currently use the Suavecito Firme and Layrite Superhold pomades. I like both of them pretty well.

However, looking for a new product and wondering if you guys can help me out.

When I apply the pomade to my hair, my hair has great hold and looks great. My only complaint is that I cannot really touch my hair or run my hand through it or it will get a bit messed up.

1.) What kind of product would you guys recommend using to achieve an affect where I can have decent hold but still be apply to "play with my hair" multiple times in Boardwalk Empire Jimmy Darmody's hair falls slightly out of place and he puts it back in place and it stays fairly well.

Also, when using these pomades I don't wash it out before going to bed. When I wake up in the morning, I like the way my hair feels. It's "gritty" enough that I can kind of style it in a side swipe style to the side.

2.) Is there any kind of product that would kind of replicate something like this? My hair is extremely straight and thin (not thinning though) so without putting in my product my hair lies very flat on each sides of my head. With a little bit of grit I can push it to the side and have it hold OK
02-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Use a men's hairstyling creme and a hair styling rubber.
(02-14-2015 10:58 AM)crocks16 Wrote:  Hey fellas,

I currently use the Suavecito Firme and Layrite Superhold pomades. I like both of them pretty well.

However, looking for a new product and wondering if you guys can help me out.

When I apply the pomade to my hair, my hair has great hold and looks great. My only complaint is that I cannot really touch my hair or run my hand through it or it will get a bit messed up.

1.) What kind of product would you guys recommend using to achieve an affect where I can have decent hold but still be apply to "play with my hair" multiple times in Boardwalk Empire Jimmy Darmody's hair falls slightly out of place and he puts it back in place and it stays fairly well.

Also, when using these pomades I don't wash it out before going to bed. When I wake up in the morning, I like the way my hair feels. It's "gritty" enough that I can kind of style it in a side swipe style to the side.

2.) Is there any kind of product that would kind of replicate something like this? My hair is extremely straight and thin (not thinning though) so without putting in my product my hair lies very flat on each sides of my head. With a little bit of grit I can push it to the side and have it hold OK

Yes, I understand what you mean.

For the first men's hair product, you will want to go with a hairstyling cream. You will want to choose one that provides hold but not the "do-not-touch-my-hair" hold of a strong pomade or strong hair gel. As you mentioned, Jimmy Darmody's hair is actually dangling at times, which is what I'm guessing is you're after. Likewise, you may also be interested in the middle part hairstyle which also has the hair dangling and is also cut with an Undercut haircut.

A great hairstyling cream to get for the above purpose as you need is THIS hairstyling cream.

Now, for you second purpose: the good thing about Suavecito is that they aren't as messy as the older oil-based pomades, so you don't have to wash your hair before going to bed. It is recommended if you're using the pomade every day and/or following the No Shampoo method in The Men's Hair Book. For casual use of water-based pomades, you will be fine.

For the type of hair styling that you want, I highly recommend a styling wax (rubber) like THIS styling rubber. Does the job very well as it actually allows you to re-style your hair through the day without having to dampen your hair to re-style (which is what you're pretty much after). The styling wax/rubber in the link has enough hold for your purposes with enough shape-ability for doing a side swept hairstyle or slicked back hairstyles.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Awesome, thanks so much TMHF! Was actually probably going to buy a hair cream today because my hair has reached about 6 in and I want to test out the undercut top knot, might have to wait another month or two though.

Will check out that styling rubber too!
02-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Hairstyling cream for a casual slicked hairstyle.
(02-14-2015 12:45 PM)crocks16 Wrote:  Awesome, thanks so much TMHF! Was actually probably going to buy a hair cream today because my hair has reached about 6 in and I want to test out the undercut top knot, might have to wait another month or two though.

Will check out that styling rubber too!

Yes, definitively hairstyling creams are the go-to products for long hair, so basically any hair length beyond six inches of hair length. If you have 6 inches of hair length now, then you can get a really cool danging style with that hairstyling cream in the link, very similar to the Jimmy Darmody undercut look when his hair is messy and not in a classic slicked back Undercut.

With regards to the top knot hairstyle, then, yes, you may be better off waiting a month or two to give enough length to your hair so that you can have enough hair on the tied top. The top knot has a very short tail (i.e. tied top), but it still needs about 1 inch of length, and the hair on the top of a male's head takes about 6 inches to be able to group together into a single point (i.e. knot).

The reason for waiting for your hair to be a bit longer than 6 inches is that, unlike women, men have to be careful with pulling their hair too hard. Losing hair due to pulling the hair too hard when styling a hair-tied hairstyle is known as traction alopecia. Consider that about 2/3 of men will be or are afflicted with male pattern alopecia, and one of the main consistencies of male pattern alopecia is the weakening of the hairline's follicles. Thus, by tying your hair really hard, you're encouraging the loss of your hair strands as your follicles are weakened (provided that you have male pattern alopecia, but why take the risk?).

So, yeah, it makes sense to wait a little bit longer to allow your hair to grow an extra inch and not have to pull on your hair extra tight.

As a final comment and with regards to your hairstyle goal, here are a couple of pictures of Jimmy Darmody's slicked (yet loose) hairstyle, which is achieved with said hairstyling cream I recommended earlier! Smile

By the way, the last picture of Michael Pitt's hair (aka Jimmy Darmody) is about the length you want to aim for to style a good top knot.

[Image: 154c897add2cac45a2b54ddf46dbceb6.jpg]

[Image: c04d0d3470d46574f90de7ed873a2b9d.jpg]

[Image: 0db708e97ed91866c615703c7db05768.jpg]

[Image: 7b48c4e07cf73a5c394f61ee5a4ee752.jpg]

04-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Amazing thread. How much am I ruining my hair by just using Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for Normal hair?
04-14-2015, 05:54 AM
(04-13-2015 11:39 PM)itsme39 Wrote:  Amazing thread. How much am I ruining my hair by just using Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for Normal hair?

Don't worry about the Head & Shoulders shampoo. It's a good shampoo for dandruff. You will see that shampoo recommended in threads here where guys complain of dandruff problems. I've also used it and it works really well for mild cases of dandruff. The problem with the anti dandruff shampoos like Head and Shoulders is that they tnd to be very drying which isn't great for the looks of your hair.

Dandruff shampoos remove everything from your scalp and hair so that the fungus that causes dandruff has nothing to feed itself with. If you're going to continue using the Head and Shoulders shampoo, it's then important that you also get a good conditioner. What you do is you use the conditioner right after rinsing the shampoo.

There's a lot of advice on the forum about using shampoo and conditioners for men. Try this thread for advice on how to use a shampoo with a conditioner. You should leave the conditioner between one to three minutes on your hair after the shampoo. Most guys do well with two minutes. Then you rinse out the conditioner.

If you're wanting to buy a shampoo then go to the first page of this thread and get the Argan oil conditioner in the link under the best conditioners section. It's cheap and works extremely well for men growing their hair longer like you're doing.

Are you planning on continuing to use the Head and Shoulders shampoo?
04-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Sunset I am about to make a thread with pictures on what I'm working with. Let's continue everything over there because I'm jumping everywhere and getting confused haha.
06-01-2015, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 05:49 PM by HorseTears.)
Hey all - new member. Given that the forum rules prevent me from starting my own thread at this time, I hope it's okay for me to bump this thread with my question.

About me:
  • Early 30s, South Asian descent, had very thick, wavy hair as an adolescent.
  • In my mid 20s that wavy hair went dead straight and never went back. Kinda like Travolta in the early 80s.
  • Now, in my early 30s I'm experiencing the slightest amount of thinning as well.
  • Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I have been sporting a fade or fade'esque style for the past year or so - you know - very closely cropped on the sides, longer up top.

My issue:
  • I have a fantastic stylist who always manages to style my hair perfectly - thick, voluminous and textured up top, slick and close to the scalp on the sides.
  • But, like a lot of people, I found I could never quite replicate that styling at home despite following her instructions closely and using the exact same products. I could never achieve the volume and thickness she gave me up top, I'd end up with either too much or not enough hold and instead of having the top styled into one "swoosh" it got broken up into lots of "chunks" of hair which is not a good look when you're starting to thin. We tried switching from pomades to waxes to creams etc and she finally suggested that we try adding a volumizing mousse to my routine.
  • The mousse was the missing ingredient. Suddenly, I was able to achieve the same styling effects at home - volume, thickening, uniformity, hold without crispiness or separation.
  • There's just one stinking issue. The volumizing mousse I was sold smells. It has a distinct chemically scent - almost like Raid ant spray. In fact, at first I thought I was imagining it, but then surveyed a bunch of friends and family members and nearly all of them agreed that the mousse had this scent. Most of them found it unpleasant, some of them were neutral on the scent, but absolutely no one found it pleasant. And while it was strongest after initial application and before blow drying, it lingered throughout the day.
  • Obviously, I cannot go into meetings smelling like I just sprayed down some roach motel. But I love this mousse so much.

My question
  • Can anyone recommend an alternate volumizing mousse?
  • It should provide a decent amount of hold without making the hair crispy/brittle
  • It should leave a matte finish - I don't need more shininess
  • It should have a neutral or pleasant scent

The mousse in question
The stinky mousse? Davines Volumizing Mousse
What's odd about it is that virtually every other Davines product I've used smells AMAZING.

Here's my full styling regimen:
  1. After showering, towel dry hair
  2. Spray in generous amount of Evo Salty Dog Cocktail Beach Spray
  3. Work in golf ball size amount of Davines Volumizing Mousse
  4. Blow dry hair to near 100% dryness
  5. Work in Evo Crop Strutters Construction Cream
  6. Continue blow drying to set style
  7. Finish with Davines Hair Spray for final hold
My hair looks PERFECT with this routine, but I can't deal with the smell of that mousse.

Alternatives:
  • I tried Aveda's Phomollient Styling Foam (both with and without their new Aveda Thickening Tonic) and it left my hair crispy and offered nowhere near as much volume as the Davines mousse.
  • I've seen Agadir Argan Oil Volumizing Styling Mousse recommended on here several times, but the description on Amazon suggests that the mousse adds shine - something I do not want.

So, any suggestions? Thanks so much!
06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
All styling mousse products provide some form of natural shine. Some do less or more.
Quote:
  • Can anyone recommend an alternate volumizing mousse?
  • It should provide a decent amount of hold without making the hair crispy/brittle
  • It should leave a matte finish - I don't need more shininess
  • It should have a neutral or pleasant scent
The issue with hair styling mousses is that they're going to give some form of shine as it's an innate characteristic of this type of product. However, it should be said that the shine that a good styling mousse (like the Agadir that we recommend in Page 1 of this thread) will give you will be a natural shine and not a boosted "extra shine" like you'd achieve with a high-shine pomade. You could think of a styling mousse as enhancing the shine that your hair can give by itself.

Having said the above, if the Agadir that we've recommended in Page 1 is still too shiny for your taste (since you're looking for a matte finish), then try THIS other mousse that has less of a shiny texture compared to the Agadir styling mousse but still retains the volumizing properties and good-hold properties of the Agadir styling mousse. For its price, I think it's definitively a try as it's very cheap, although it's also a bit smaller than the Agadir mousse.

As far as hairstyling products go, styling mousse products are the best hair products for extra hair volume. Likewise, the use of a hair dryer is imperative if you're trying to gain even more hair volume, and we always recommend the combination of a hair mousse and a hair dryer for maximum hair volume for men. This is exactly what you're doing and I'm glad that it's working great for you, as many guys with thinning hair spend huge amounts of money on worthless volumizing products when all you need is a good hair dryer and a styling mousse.

One more thing and since you're really looking to kick off the hair volume, do also consider a good hair thickening shampoo and conditioner. Have a look at this thickening shampoo and conditioner post if you're interested in good options to also add to your regime. However, only buy a hair thickening shampoo and conditioner if you're not happy with your current results (which so far you're very pleased with). Thickening shampoos and conditioners are more expensive than traditional men's shampoos and conditioners, but they're a great add-on once the hair thinning doesn't respond too well to the hair dryer and styling mousse combination.

On the topic of hair thinning, another product that you can consider is a minoxidil-based product. This would only be if you do indeed suffer from hair thinning and you do not have naturally-thin hair. Hair thinning is part of the spectrum of symptoms of male pattern baldness and minoxidil is specially useful to stop the hair thinning and even thicken the hair back. The most known minoxidil product is Rogaine, but have a look at our list of minoxidil products for both Rogaine suppliers and alternative products' suppliers.

P.S. You can start threads with your post count. So feel free to start a thread whenever you have any questions on hair products or on anything else.

06-04-2015, 12:44 PM
@ TheMensHairForum: Thank you SO much for the detailed response. Very kind of you to take the time to go into such detail. I think you've convinced me to give the Agadir Volumizing Mousse a shot. Though, I must confess, their branding does make me worry that I'm going to end up smelling like an Istanbul spice bazaar! Guess we'll see. Thanks for the tips on volumizing shampoos & conditioners, too.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hairstyles and Hair Products – Official Product Guide on How to Use and Combine TheMensHairForum 3 27,674 03-23-2017 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hockeyflow42
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 12 54,233 03-11-2017 10:05 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 260,313 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Top hair straighteners for men - List of Ionic flat irons Sunset 3 4,683 03-28-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: Curly Dude